Newsome should start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newsome should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're missing the point entirely. It's not about touches, it's when. Let the big backs finish the game, start w/ Newsome early who provides the most threat to the opposing D.

It is about touches though, because if they started him and gave him a lot of touches early, and then didn't give him the ball much in the 2nd half, people would complain about that. His pass blocking is bad, and he's a smaller true freshmen, I don't think he's ready to be an every down guy.

They've been gradually increasing his touches, he touched the ball 10 times on offense, and 6 kick returns against Temple. I imagine they'll continue to do so, and I think that gradually increasing his workload and see how he responds is the way to go.

Reaction Score
If he starts, you give the team the best chance at scoring when he runs vs. having another back run. That drive last game where Max was gaining 10-15 yards a carry would've been a cake walk for Newsome into the end zone. Once the pressure is on the D, give the touches to the bigger backs and let them control the pace of the game. I don't care if it takes 5 touches or 14 for the best back to get into the end zone as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
I am generally in favor of starting a bigger back and then braining quickness off the bench. Max can be used to soften the defense a little. Then, the change of pace tends to work better. So I have no problem starting Max.

Reaction Score
I am generally in favor of starting a bigger back and then braining quickness off the bench. Max can be used to soften the defense a little. Then, the change of pace tends to work better. So I have no problem starting Max.

A bigger back isn't softening anything. It's wasting time and putting pressure on our own D.

Reaction Score
When WVU had Tavon Austin and K State had D. Sproles how much pass blocking did they do? Get him the ball in space. Why run into the pile from the I- formation?

Totally different offensive schemes/playbooks.

Reaction Score
His pass blocking will come. The offense needs to move from anemic to dynamic or continue to be "run" off the field by the opposing defense. Newsome's size is comparable to other backs that have played well at the D1 level in the past. Not advocating making him the feature back, just many more touches per game, from a variety of directions/plays. Speaking of blocking, and as I have stated in other posts, "it's the offensive line stupid!". Fix that anemic (on an anemic kick today) OL and the pieces will come into place nicely.

Reaction Score
Lets do something different and give the kid reps. The status quo is not cutting it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like to see him get more touches on screens, swing passes and outside runs.

Reaction Score
I like to see him get more touches on screens, swing passes and outside runs.

Agree. Get him out into the open field. Doesn't quite have the speed of Percy Harvin, but look at what the Seahawks do with him. I would like to see alot of the same with Newsome. Create some pre snap motion get the defense thinking and moving.

Reaction Score
A bigger back isn't softening anything. It's wasting time and putting pressure on our own D.
Actually it worked for the Giants for years with Brandon Jacobs and Tiki Barber. It is a common football practice. Watch a few games. It called changing pace.

Reaction Score
I agree that we need to give one back more than 10 carries. I almost don't care who get's 'em. This give everyone a few touches is beyond strange, especially when you are mostly a running team. Most runners get better as they get more touches, and get momentum or into a rhythm. That seems impossible with our rotation. I had expected the rotation to tighten up after the "pre-season" but it hasn't.

Reaction Score
You really nailed it with this thread Coach. Nice work.

Not sure what you're trying to point out. He was one of the reasons we were in the this game. He had a questionable call on the first fumble, and another that sucked but if you played football you'd know it happens.

He started as I thought he should've. He's going to be a beast, not sure who else you can say that about on this team.

Palatine mentioned big backs slowing down the game and bruising the defense. Problem is, Max isn't Jacobs and comparing the two is hilarious. If anything, Diaco is trying to incorporate that philosophy early w/ the freshman Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom