New XL Center | Page 11 | The Boneyard

New XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
Blaming Hartford's mess on the interstates is ridiculous - every major city has an interstate or 2 running through it in some way. True, they were designed very poorly but the roots of Hartford's problem start with teen pregnancies, kids being born to single mothers who drop out of school, etc.

Aside from the cesspool level idiocy on display here, no, most cities do NOT have highways running straight through the center of them like Hartford does.

Reaction Score
Aside from the cesspool level idiocy on display here, no, most cities do NOT have highways running straight through the center of them like Hartford does.

Actually, not that the idea is good, in fact it is horrendous, many US cities do:
  • I-93 in Boston before the Big Dig and I-90 was buried under the Prudential & Copley developments in the 80's
  • I-95 in Providence separates downtown from Federal hill
  • US 30 right through downtown Philly
  • I-75/85 & I-20 quarters Atlanta
  • I-95 in Miami separates the beach crowd from everyone else
  • I-10 in New Orleans
  • I-25 & US 59 cuts downtown Houston into several pieces
  • I-75, I-94, I-96 & I-375 cut downtown Detroit into several pieces
  • I-290 drives right into downtown Chicago while I-90 is the DMZ between downtown and the not so well off interior
  • I-95 & I-35 E&W run into each of the Twin Cities' downtown neighborhoods
  • I-25 cuts off downtown Denver from everything to the west
  • Route 99 is being buried in Seattle
  • I-5, I-10, US 101 & Route 110 isolated downtown LA so badly, people forgot LA had a downtown until about 10 years ago

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Actually, not that the idea is good, in fact it is horrendous, many US cities do:
  • I-93 in Boston before the Big Dig and I-90 was buried under the Prudential & Copley developments in the 80's
  • I-95 in Providence separates downtown from Federal hill
  • US 30 right through downtown Philly
  • I-75/85 & I-20 quarters Atlanta
  • I-95 in Miami separates the beach crowd from everyone else
  • I-10 in New Orleans
  • I-25 & US 59 cuts downtown Houston into several pieces
  • I-75, I-94, I-96 & I-375 cut downtown Detroit into several pieces
  • I-290 drives right into downtown Chicago while I-90 is the DMZ between downtown and the not so well off interior
  • I-95 & I-35 E&W run into each of the Twin Cities' downtown neighborhoods
  • I-25 cuts off downtown Denver from everything to the west
  • Route 99 is being buried in Seattle
  • I-5, I-10, US 101 & Route 110 isolated downtown LA so badly, people forgot LA had a downtown until about 10 years ago

Most of those cities also have ring roads. Hartford has 2 highways and they cut right through the middle, which is idiotic.

BTW there's already an organization for the work on eventually replacing the viaduct: http://i84hartford.com/

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Most of those cities also have ring roads. Hartford has 2 highways and they cut right through the middle, which is idiotic.

BTW there's already an organization for the work on eventually replacing the viaduct: http://i84hartford.com/

That was interesting. Apparently, there are four options:

1) Elevated Highway:
In this alternative, a new elevated I-84 would replace the existing highway with a new, single viaduct between Sigourney and High Streets.

2) Lowered Highway:

In this alternative, I-84 would be lowered to, or below, ground level between Park and Trumbull Streets. Local roads crossing the interstate would all be bridges over the highway.

3)Tunnel:

In this alternative, a new I-84 would be built below grade and covered in a tunnel from Myrtle Street to Laurel Street.

4)No-Build (Renovate and Replace):

The No-Build Alternative does not mean do nothing. This option would rehabilitate or replace the highway bridges to keep them operating safely. The highway would stay in exactly the same place with its existing interchanges.

Option 1, 2 or 3, would reduce the number of interchanges which would decrease the highways impact potentially freeing up new land for development. Option 4 would leave things essentially the same and accordingly is the least expensive coming in at $2.3 billion. Option 3 is most expensive estimated at $104 billion.

As stated in the article, the I-84 Hartford Project is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity which arose due to the need to replace the aging current infrastructure. I hope they take full advantage of it.

Reaction Score
The only year they didn't average over 10,000? What does that prove? Why is a crowd of 10,000 - 11,000 "good"?

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/

Here's the site I have used. Other than a 2-3 year period, find me ANYTHING that would prove this city consistently supported that team. I don't want to hear about Ron Francis being traded or them stinking. Quite frankly, they're likely to stink again if we got another team. Then what? Good sports cities support teams. Hartford isn't a good sports city. It's not that tough.
Pardon me but are you really this dumb? Are you even aware of what you post?
You claimed Hartford couldn't bring in 10K fans. They brought in more than 10K every year but their first.

Reaction Score
That was interesting. Apparently, there are four options:

1) Elevated Highway:
In this alternative, a new elevated I-84 would replace the existing highway with a new, single viaduct between Sigourney and High Streets.

2) Lowered Highway:

In this alternative, I-84 would be lowered to, or below, ground level between Park and Trumbull Streets. Local roads crossing the interstate would all be bridges over the highway.

3)Tunnel:

In this alternative, a new I-84 would be built below grade and covered in a tunnel from Myrtle Street to Laurel Street.

4)No-Build (Renovate and Replace):

The No-Build Alternative does not mean do nothing. This option would rehabilitate or replace the highway bridges to keep them operating safely. The highway would stay in exactly the same place with its existing interchanges.

Option 1, 2 or 3, would reduce the number of interchanges which would decrease the highways impact potentially freeing up new land for development. Option 4 would leave things essentially the same and accordingly is the least expensive coming in at $2.3 billion. Option 3 is most expensive estimated at $104 billion.

As stated in the article, the I-84 Hartford Project is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity which arose due to the need to replace the aging current infrastructure. I hope they take full advantage of it.

Talk is that Option 3 is already off the table due to price, though its the one that Hartford wants to most; but, of course Hartford can't pay for it. There was also a 5th option at one point and that was to covert I-84 into a street level boulevard. That was shot down by the state as being impractical due to the travel volume using I-84.

Reaction Score
Money is made out of paper. Just fix the damn highways. In New Haven, too!

Reaction Score

Hartford was supposed to have a ring highway; but, only a two small portions were built - Route 9 from I-91 to I-84 in West Harford and I-291 from I-84 in Manchester across the river to Bloomfield. West Hartford had a lot to do with the 2 routes not being connected on the west wide of the river.

Reaction Score
Blaming Hartford's mess on the interstates is ridiculous - every major city has an interstate or 2 running through it in some way. True, they were designed very poorly but the roots of Hartford's problem start with teen pregnancies, kids being born to single mothers who drop out of school, etc.

Because that's a Hartford problem, and not a problem in cities all across the country?

Reaction Score
Pardon me but are you really this dumb? Are you even aware of what you post?
You claimed Hartford couldn't bring in 10K fans. They brought in more than 10K every year but their first.

I'm dumb? Find where I said Hartford couldn't average 10,000 fans? I said they were in the bottom of the NHL attendance charts. I said they couldn't get a decent draw on a Tuesday night against a mediocre opponent. Show me where I said they wouldn't average 10,000 fans though.

FYI - 10,000 to 11,000 fans is crappy attendance, for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
I think the sad thing about Hartford going to crap is that it was once the finest city in the country. It was beautiful and wealthy and had fantastic theater and culture. It was once the place to be.
It can easily be revived over time. The depth of American/native culture here is ridiculously deep.

Connecticut was always a rival of Massachusetts, since the mid 1600s. Richer Englishmen tried to challenge Boston with New Haven. Maybe should have placed what would become New Haven further east, since whaling became a huge source of wealth. Rhode Island is a different culture.

Reaction Score
What you guys are overlooking is that cities like Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago....support other major league franchises. The Penguins or Bruins in a down year aren't the only game in town. Hartford has NOTHING else and still couldn't get 10k at their games.

Ill tell you what. When I'm wrong, the NHL moves a team here and they draw well? I'll admit I am wrong. Until then, keep your excuses spinning and your head stuck in the sand.
This?

Reaction Score
The issue I have with you is that as someone who claims to be a Hartford Whaler fan, you refuse to cut the hockey market any slack for being victims of what was the one of the worst if not the worst run franchises in the NHL for most of 2 decades.

The Penguins averaged 6800 people in 1983. Pittburgh. A city that doubles or triples Hartford's size. Think about that. In our worst years we were still drawing 3000-4000 more than Pittsburgh's low numbers.

I have no problem with a Whalers fan thinking that the market may not be able to support an NHL team again, maybe they are right and maybe they aren't. But the fact that you are so hardened in your stance without any willingness to look at the bigger picture is just bizarre - again for someone who says he is a Whalers fan. Your views tend to align themselves more with that of a Rangers, Bruins or maybe even an Islanders fan I guess - or a non-hockey fan in general.

If you haven't gone to a UConn hockey game this year maybe you should give it a shot next year to see what a good hockey market can feel like again. UConn led the Hockey East in attendance if you factor in non-Bridgeport games. Not bad for a hockey market that you thinks sucks .

Reaction Score
The issue I have with you is that as someone who claims to be a Hartford Whaler fan, you refuse to cut the hockey market any slack for being victims of what was the one of the worst if not the worst run franchises in the NHL for most of 2 decades.

The Penguins averaged 6800 people in 1983. Pittburgh. A city that doubles or triples Hartford's size. Think about that. In our worst years we were still drawing 3000-4000 more than Pittsburgh's low numbers.

I have no problem with a Whalers fan thinking that the market may not be able to support an NHL team again, maybe they are right and maybe they aren't. But the fact that you are so hardened in your stance without any willingness to look at the bigger picture is just bizarre - again for someone who says he is a Whalers fan. Your views tend to align themselves more with that of a Rangers, Bruins or maybe even an Islanders fan I guess - or a non-hockey fan in general.

If you haven't gone to a UConn hockey game this year maybe you should give it a shot next year to see what a good hockey market can feel like again. UConn led the Hockey East in attendance if you factor in non-Bridgeport games. Not bad for a hockey market that you thinks sucks .

I dont know why you care so much that I was a Whaler fan. But I was. I don't follow the NHL any more. I would support the Whalers if a franchise came back. But I don't think this state can or will support a franchise. And I don't think that based on the last go round they deserve another crack at it. You can do with that whatever you'd like. You can like it or lump it or you can take it down the road and dump it.

Reaction Score
I guess we find out today how good the XL Center is huh? Big game, how man fannies in the seats at tip off and how much noise today when the kids really need them?

Should be interesting

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess we find out today how good the XL Center is huh? Big game, how man fannies in the seats at tip off and how much noise today when the kids really need them?

Should be interesting

Can of Gampel vs XL worms is now currently open ☺

Reaction Score
Sure. Just pretend that Fairfield county doesn't exist and write off all of the money that comes with it.

Really? how much money would uconn lose because they play 18 games on campus? It would cripple the program? first off, if they can't see how much better Gampel is than an arena in downtown hartford then how did they make their money? second-and not a snarky answer-from my experience, the money in fairfield doesn't send their kids to uconn and didnt go there themselves-it is a much more prep to private college area than a bastion of support for uconn. Third, if they are so committed to the program then why is another 30 minutes a problem? Its is unequivocally easier to move families to the campus than move 2-4k students to hartford.

If you want to be invited to the big ten you need to look like a big ten school-part of being a big ten school (outside the outstanding academics and research capacity) is the environment and experience they recall. I get that the liberal northeast is different than the midwest, but there is a distinct difference between pulling into campus, walking through the buildings and being surrounded by that spirit from the minute you hit north eagleville and driving into downtown hartford and walking to XL. I am absolutely flabbergasted that this is even a discussion-that there are people pining for a new arena in hartford and more games there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really? how much money would uconn lose because they play 18 games on campus? It would cripple the program? first off, if they can't see how much better Gampel is than an arena in downtown hartford then how did they make their money? second-and not a snarky answer-from my experience, the money in fairfield doesn't send their kids to uconn and didnt go there themselves-it is a much more prep to private college area than a bastion of support for uconn. Third, if they are so committed to the program then why is another 30 minutes a problem? Its is unequivocally easier to move families to the campus than move 2-4k students to hartford.

If you want to be invited to the big ten you need to look like a big ten school-part of being a big ten school (outside the outstanding academics and research capacity) is the environment and experience they recall. I get that the liberal northeast is different than the midwest, but there is a distinct difference between pulling into campus, walking through the buildings and being surrounded by that spirit from the minute you hit north eagleville and driving into downtown hartford and walking to XL. I am absolutely flabbergasted that this is even a discussion-that there are people pining for a new arena in hartford and more games there.

It's too bad Fire Joe Morgan got shut down, this would have been a good candidate.

Reaction Score

Overall, for the CT market outside of Fairfield County, I do not believe that there is a major difference between having games in Hartford or Storrs. Thus, I would prefer that Hartford' needs with the XL be separated from what UConn needs, which is basically an expanded and renovated Gampel or a new dual purpose basketball (12K)/hockey (6K) arena. This is where 75% of all UConn home games should be. The environment for on-campus games is a major positive for the players, students, and most fans, especially as there are now more options on or near campus for fans to enjoy before and after games. While classes are in session, the only exception shoudl be for 1 to 2 'neutral' court games in NYC or even Boston. Why? Because if UConn wants to escape the American, the Huskies have to show that they bring eyeballs and excitement in major television markets outside of Hartford. During winter break, no problem with having 2 to 3 games in Hartford and even a game in Bridgeport. Why Bridgeport? if it makes the UConn alumni in fans who have migrated to where the jobs and money are happy and they help increase UConn's poor endowment, which is an important metric to the AAU and B1G folks, then it is worth that 1 game. So to summarize in a 30 game regular season schedule:
  • Away games: 15
  • Tournament games: 3
  • NYC games: 1
  • Bridgeport game: 1
  • Hartford games: 2
  • Storrs games: 9

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Overall, for the CT market outside of Fairfield County, I do not believe that there is a major difference between having games in Hartford or Storrs. Thus, I would prefer that Hartford' needs with the XL be separated from what UConn needs, which is basically an expanded and renovated Gampel or a new dual purpose basketball (12K)/hockey (6K) arena. This is where 75% of all UConn home games should be. The environment for on-campus games is a major positive for the players, students, and most fans, especially as there are now more options on or near campus for fans to enjoy before and after games. While classes are in session, the only exception shoudl be for 1 to 2 'neutral' court games in NYC or even Boston. Why? Because if UConn wants to escape the American, the Huskies have to show that they bring eyeballs and excitement in major television markets outside of Hartford. During winter break, no problem with having 2 to 3 games in Hartford and even a game in Bridgeport. Why Bridgeport? if it makes the UConn alumni in fans who have migrated to where the jobs and money are happy and they help increase UConn's poor endowment, which is an important metric to the AAU and B1G folks, then it is worth that 1 game. So to summarize in a 30 game regular season schedule:
  • Away games: 15
  • Tournament games: 3
  • NYC games: 1
  • Bridgeport game: 1
  • Hartford games: 2
  • Storrs games: 9
Agreed. Gampel needs renovations badly and during winter break play the lesser games at bpt and hartford. Uconn shoukd get back to making the game more enjoyable for the students. Also Ive been saying as well that uconn should be playing a game at MSG or Boston. Are they buikding a new hockey arena? If not I think it would be cool to expand and renovate gampel and put a hockey rink under the floor. Idk just ideas, but uconn should be active and expanding its brand and kdeas while keeping tradition and making the students experience memorable.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Gampel needs renovations badly and during winter break play the lesser games at bpt and hartford. Uconn shoukd get back to making the game more enjoyable for the students. Also Ive been saying as well that uconn should be playing a game at MSG or Boston. Are they buikding a new hockey arena? If not I think it would be cool to expand and renovate gampel and put a hockey rink under the floor. Idk just ideas, but uconn should be active and expanding its brand and kdeas while keeping tradition and making the students experience memorable.

Just as a FYI, Gampel is a concrete bowl with classrooms under the lower stands on 3 sides and part of the university's pool under the other side. Thus, it would be cheaper to build a new arena than to add an ice sheet to Gampel. I personally do not dual-purposes arenas; but, I am realistic that UConn will not be able to fund 2 new arenas. Build it where Gampel is today or as part of Storrs center and create a true 'entertainment' district. The later, of course, will be strongly opposed by Mansfield in an effort to protect Mansfield's rural heritage. Plus, with a basketball practice facility now in place and the old ice hockey arena can be used for practice (and local youth leagues to give something back to the community), the new area is only needed for games, not practice.

Reaction Score
Here are the top 10 finalists for the name of the new Hartford minor league baseball team:

Blue Frogs: Combining Hartford's literary and baseball history, Blue Frogs marries Mark Twain's short story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County," and the name of Hartford's first baseball team, the Dark Blues.
Choppers: Celebrating Hartford's place in aviation history, Choppers honors Connecticut's invention of the first helicopter in 1939.
Hedgehogs: With Hartford known as the "Insurance Capital of America," the Hedgehog is a tribute to our insurance industry, while celebrating Hartford's fighting spirit.
Honey Badgers: Everyone loves a good alliteration and Honey Badgers is a fun name that falls in line with the Lugnuts, Biscuits and other wacky names that minor league baseball is known for.
Hound Dogs: A smart, loyal and useful dog who is always by your side, just like the community of Hartford.
Praying Mantis: As Connecticut's state insect, the Praying Mantis embodies Hartford's fighting spirit and being known for punching above its weight.
River Hogs: This name is a tribute to the Hog River that flows under the city of Hartford.
Screech Owls: A Hartford native, screech owls are known for their fierce piercing calls.
Whirlybirds: Celebrating Connecticut's helicopter manufacturing and the Northeast Helicopter School, the Whirlybirds opens up all kinds of fun mascot possibilities.
Yard Goats: Railroad slang for an engine that switches a train to get it ready for another locomotive to take over, the Yard Goats honors Hartford's rich railroad history.

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82973186/

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Money is made out of paper. Just fix the damn highways. In New Haven, too!

With what with dwindling tax income, how are we suppose to pay for it. You sound like the governor and his pie in the sky outlook towards busway.

Reaction Score

I'm not pining for more games at XL. And I'm not talking about ticket sales. I'm talking about money donated to the school. I don't know what the data shows, and maybe all of the high roller $ comes from the Hartford area and so making it logistically impossible for anyone from FFLD county to attend any games wouldn't make any difference. But I doubt it.

And it isn't another 30 minutes. It's another 30 minutes on top of what can sometimes be an extra hour getting out of the parking lots.

I'm not saying it matters. I'm saying I think it matters. The actual data re: where do the donors / season ticket holders live, what is their attendance rate, etc. all of it matters.

As an example, I have 2 at XL and 4 at Gampel (which I split with someone) and I've been to 3 games this year - mostly because I work in NYC. Getting to a game in Hartford during the week is nearly impossible, but I don't even attempt to go to a Gampel game. I do my best to spread the tickets around, and if they went to 100% Gampel, I'd probably still get tickets, but only because I know someone who lives local and can always use the spares. Even when I try and give Gampel tickets away for free, I get the "no way - but keep me in mind for XL games" - and that is from people that live in the New Haven area and work near Hartford.

XL center sucks as an arena. I wouldn't suggest building one if it wasn't already there. And yes you would sell out Gampel if all of the games were there. And people would feel great about stuffing 6K students into a building on campus. But money is part of the equation. And I don't think it is in the overall best economic interest of the hoops program to abandon Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom