New XL Center | The Boneyard

New XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't subscribe but was able to read it - just had to register at some point.

Basically, four options.

1) Revamp the current footprint.
2) Expand towards Trumbull or Church.
3) Knock ---er down and start new.
4) Do nothing and glide towards eventually closing.

Needs another concourse. Need to stop losing money - $3M a year. NHL talk. Hoping to do whatever within three to five years. Will be expensive - prepare to be taxed.

Reaction Score
Hope they go Option 3. If im going to be blasted in the by taxes regardless than why not spend to get the best of the best? A renovation to add a second concourse and lower level suites cost vs. a new building wouldn't be to far of a gap.

Reaction Score
Hope they go Option 3. If im going to be blasted in the by taxes regardless than why not spend to get the best of the best? A renovation to add a second concourse and lower level suites cost vs. a new building wouldn't be to far of a gap.

Agree here. It is going to cost us a ton in taxes whether they renovate or start from scratch. I say build from scratch, start over. State of the art arena, make a push for an NHL team, and at the very least get more events there.

Reaction Score
Option 3 all the way. The sight lines are brutal and probably wound not be improved by the other options.

Reaction Score
There should only be one option, tear it down and build a new one.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Great Always Sunny reference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm having a hard time seeing how a new area, or even a substantial renovation can have a decent ROI absent a pro sports franchise.

Reaction Score
I'm having a hard time seeing how a new area, or even a substantial renovation can have a decent ROI absent a pro sports franchise.
Both have to be better options than a vacant lot.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Politics are just one big blast.
"What? Should I vote for the Republican whose just going to blast me in the , or vote for the Democrat whose going to turn around and blast me in the "

Reaction Score
Must be torn down and rebuilt if they want to make it a viable option into the future. Rebuilding a concourse or making marginal additions is just kicking the can down the road and in 10-15 years it'll be in the exact same place it is now. Of course, no one wants to wisely invest in things in government, so it'll just end up being some more Band-Aid renovations that fix nothing, and the repetitive cycle continues.

Reaction Score
Must be torn down and rebuilt if they want to make it a viable option into the future. Rebuilding a concourse or making marginal additions is just kicking the can down the road and in 10-15 years it'll be in the exact same place it is now. Of course, no one wants to wisely invest in things in government, so it'll just end up being some more Band-Aid renovations that fix nothing, and the repetitive cycle continues.
The amount of money gone into keeping that building alive could have built us a few new arenas

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective, I'm not sure what's the right answer.

If Connecticut builds a new arena, there is going to be an ass ton of pressure for UConn to put every possible basketball and hockey game in that building - and that's not a good thing for us.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective, I'm not sure what's the right answer.

If Connecticut builds a new arena, there is going to be an ass ton of pressure for UConn to put every possible basketball and hockey game in that building - and that's not a good thing for us.
I know facilities had nothing to do with us getting boned in CR but could a new arena not help us just the slightest? Actual question as i don't know.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective we need a true state-of-the-art facility to offer if we eventually want entrance into ACC/BIG. Gampel brings nothing to the table.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know facilities had nothing to do with us getting boned in CR but could a new arena not help us just the slightest? Actual question as i don't know.

It can't hurt, but I don't think it's much of a consideration.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective we need a true state-of-the-art facility to offer if we eventually want entrance into ACC/BIG. Gampel brings nothing to the table.
I agree Hartford needs a new arena but as to why we aren't in the P5, facilities ain't the reason.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This may well be true but the solution would be a new 12,500 seat arena on campus, not a new 16,000 seat arena in downtown Hartford.

A major part of the solution is for Hartford to find a means of increasing foot traffic that does not involve UConn sporting events.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I saw the bill for the minor league baseball stadium and almost threw up.

The fact that will get money and the XL Center future be it reconstruction or building a new one is up for debate is insane.

Reaction Score

The people in Louisville did it, why not Hartford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom