New starting lineup suggestion... (merged) | The Boneyard

New starting lineup suggestion... (merged)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Paige
Azzi
Qadence
Aubrey
Aaliyah

Not suggesting we throw out the baby with the bathwater, but this team lacks athleticism and quickness. It reminds me of Geno's joke about Maria Conlon... "well she's short, but she's also slow".

I get that we lack size, but against State, it wasn't the post players who killed us. It was the guards who seemed to zip past us all game long. Baldwin and Collins (their starting forwards) combined for 14 total points. Maybe starting the game out with a more athletic look will work better? Flip side to that - we won the first quarter with our normal starting 5, so who knows?? But especially after seeing this game, how Geno decided to start Caroline over Aubrey is a mystery to me.

To be honest, I'm not oppose to starting KK over Azzi either. So far, if Azzi isn't hitting her 3, she's a liability on the floor. Trying NOT to let knee jerk frustration dominate the starting 5 decision, but I'm so confused about this team. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Paige
Azzi
Qadence
Aubrey
Aaliyah

Not suggesting we throw out the baby with the bathwater, but this team lacks athleticism and quickness. It reminds me of Geno's joke about Maria Conlon... "well she's short, but she's also slow".

I get that we lack size, but against State, it wasn't the post players who killed us. It was the guards who seemed to zip past us all game long. Baldwin and Collins (their starting forwards) combined for 14 total points. Maybe starting the game out with a more athletic look will work better? Flip side to that - we won the first quarter with our normal starting 5, so who knows?? But especially after seeing this game, how Geno decided to start Caroline over Aubrey is a mystery to me.

To be honest, I'm not oppose to starting KK over Azzi either. So far, if Azzi isn't hitting her 3, she's a liability on the floor. Trying NOT to let knee jerk frustration dominate the starting 5 decision, but I'm so confused about this team. Thoughts?
That’s how I feel. They need Aubrey and Aaliyah to play together to have a better shot on the boards. And at this point Q has shown a better ability to knock down 3s than Ducharme.

Doesn’t necessarily require adjusting the starting lineup, but this lineup needs to get run time together more.

Reaction Score
That’s how I feel. They need Aubrey and Aaliyah to play together to have a better shot on the boards. And at this point Q has shown a better ability to knock down 3s than Ducharme.

Doesn’t necessarily require adjusting the starting lineup, but this lineup needs to get run time together more.
Paige, Azzi,Q,Ice, Aaliyah. Ice may have to play her way there. I liked what I saw from her it’s just her shot was off and she was nervous. Her positioning was good and when she gets comfy, will score that close to the basket. I think she will take the 4 spot soon. Carol is a scorer off of the bench. I would put Aubrey at the three spot if she shot better but Q starts there, she just has to be more aware defensively.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s one game. Too soon to judge. But some notable issues with lack of athleticism that will hurt against some teams. Unfortunately in this game, even with a 25 point 1st quarter, our “shooters” missed several open shots and I’d guess NC State does not usually pull so many shots out of there you know where. i don’t think we should jump so fast to starting KK, but Azzi I’m not sure has that killer instinct.. Starting Aubrey in place of Caroline appeals to me. Q seems to have no conscience and the stroke to match.

South Carolina looked really good. Height with talent helps. We don’t totally lack height on the roster, but unfortunately our tallest player lacks high D1 talent and our 6’4 freshmen is in street clothes.

Reaction Score
Geno's in game adjustments might be more important than who starts. If the starters have chemistry and success in a game, do not fix what is not broken. If there is foul trouble, stagnant offense, or defensive lapses in a game, Geno has to bring in the best option for that moment.

Reaction Score
I really like Q's performances. In just 2 games she shows us that she can be a starter and a scorer.

I am surprised her 2023 HoopGuriz ranking is too low only at #41.

May be Geno should consider her young sister Qandace Samuels ( a 2027 high school girls' basketball guard from Forestville, Maryland. She is 6'0" and attends Bishop McNamara High School).

JBK

Reaction Score
Paige
Azzi
Qadence
Aubrey
Aaliyah

Agreed completely. We have to play kids that can score consistently

Reaction Score
Give Ice more time. If anyone thought NC State was a good rebounding team, watch the replays of today's games across the US. Predict they are barely in the top half. Alot of true size coming our way and we need her strength.

Reaction Score
Bench Fudd now. Start Ice, AE, Paige, KK and Q. Bring Azzi off the bench with CD, Nika and Aubrey. Also, give Ashlynn Shade some playing time.
Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

Reaction Score
Unlikely Geno would start a freshman over a healthy senior
Agree with this, has always been Geno’s mentality- although I wish he would be quicker to adjust playing time within the game. KK’s speed was needed this game. Could have taken playing time from take your pick - Nika, Azzi. We need a 5 in a big way, AE is a 4, but that ain’t gonna happen this year which means we need Ice to have her growing pains by seeing more PT.

Reaction Score
Nice content by maybe most members, but Paige is not a PG. She can play it but is better as the off guard. Remember it was NM as PG when Paige was the best player in college bb.

When Bueckers is at the point she makes everyone else on the floor better. As an off-guard she won't score much more than she would at the point. Also, Geno said he wants to put players in situations that they are best at and that what they are best at is almost always what they love to do. Bueckers does not love to shoot. She lives to pass and to run the team. She is she shows nothing but confidence running the team and that rubs off. I've watched her for the last 5 years and that's how it's been the entire time.

In any case, the issue isn't who plays guard but rather how to shore up the front line. Playing 4 guards today resulted in NCSt's 2 forwards dominating our guards. What about Edwards? Ste was playing center.
UConn needs more size on the court. Right now, until Patterson gets back, both Griffin and Ducharme need to start with Edwards. Fill in the other two starters with whomever you want.

Reaction Score
I would definitely start Aubrey. Probably the only experienced player we have with plus-athleticism. We need her help on the boards and on the defensive end. I believe she got hit in the head and missed Q2 & Q3 today, and you can see how it impacted the game. Paige and AE are the other 2 obvious starters. Maybe the other 2 spots depend on the opponent.

Reaction Score
When Bueckers is at the point she makes everyone else on the floor better. As an off-guard she won't score much more than she would at the point. Also, Geno said he wants to put players in situations that they are best at and that what they are best at is almost always what they love to do. Bueckers does not love to shoot. She lives to pass and to run the team. She is she shows nothing but confidence running the team and that rubs off. I've watched her for the last 5 years and that's how it's been the entire time.

In any case, the issue isn't who plays guard but rather how to shore up the front line. Playing 4 guards today resulted in NCSt's 2 forwards dominating our guards. What about Edwards? Ste was playing center.
UConn needs more size on the court. Right now, until Patterson gets back, both Griffin and Ducharme need to start with Edwards. Fill in the other two starters with whomever you want.
I haven't seen anything out of Patterson to warrant quality minutes. I hope she proves me wrong. But, either her or Brady need to step up become a major contributor.

Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone wants Nika benched. She did her job and did it well. Shes not a scoring machine but she did have 6 assists and a steal plus several rebounds and NO turn overs. She played as good of defense as anyone on UCONN and got little help from the Freshmen who were out of sync and position many times.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything out of Patterson to warrant quality minutes. I hope she proves me wrong. But, either her or Brady need to step up become a major contributor.

Patterson played the entire 2023 season with a damaged knee. Healthy, she provides the depth that would allow Brady and Edwards to play together. Patterson is 6'2 but her impact is in her strength and athleticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom