New Staff Tidbits | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New Staff Tidbits

Reaction Score
I don't mind keeping Freeman on for a little while, but it should be time soon for him to leave the nest.

Frankly, the program needs to stop being a fallback jobs program for basketball alums. Nepotism got this program into the mess it's in now.

I loved KFree and Ricky Moore as players, but what did they ever do to earn their jobs on the staff?
I am very close with someone who works in the athletic department and he told me about a year ago that Kevin Freeman was the best person at his job on the whole staff. The Director of Basketball Operations is really the secretary for the team... i.e. booking team travel, coordinating practice, making sure kids go to class, in charge of hotels etc. Has nothing to do with recruiting or very little to do with basketball period. I was told Kevin takes his job very very seriously and is perfect fit for that role but never even wants to be promoted to assistant or anything.

I'd be very happy if he's staying on with Hurley.

Reaction Score
Its important to hold over someone from the previous staff. It helps smooth over the transition--provides an outlet for guys who might have been more comfortable with Ollie's staff and helps them get used to the new regime. KO kept George Blaney for his first year (and Glen Miller for longer) and Calhoun retained Dickenman from the previous staff.
That is a standard practice in most places when there is a coaching change. Depending on specifics, it is usually not your associate head coach since you want a guy in that slot who is yours.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am very close with someone who works in the athletic department and he told me about a year ago that Kevin Freeman was the best person at his job on the whole staff...
Thanks for the info.

However, to be fair, that wasn't a high bar to clear as it turned out.

C

Chief00

Good story! I took some of the kids from our neighborhood to a RU v UConn game at the RAC and after the game we were standing and talking to some friends when Kevin came out to talk to some friends. The boys I brought to the game all wearing UConn hats saw him and said hey there is a UConn guy let's get his autograph. Their older brother said leave him alone he is talking to friends. One of the friends overheard that and came up to us and whispered he's a freshman. He would love it if you asked for his autograph. We all got K Free autographs on our UConn hats. I hope we keep him because he has always been one

yes you are right and how did that work out for us?

K-Free was from Springfield, MA but transferred to a HS in NJ. He may have other roots there as well?

Reaction Score
Now that we have Kimani on board and Cox has been annointed as the chosen one at URI... Dare I say, Glen Miller to round out the staff please?

Reaction Score
Now that we have Kimani on board and Cox has been annointed as the chosen one at URI... Dare I say, Glen Miller to round out the staff please?
It seems Tom Moore would likely be Associate Head Coach if I had to guess. So who gets the last spot?

Reaction Score
No favors (assistant jobs) to former players. We love those guys but they must be qualified for the position!

Reaction Score
Blaney’s son? Heard he is a great recruiter in New England and gives us a touch of nostalgia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom