New signs of life in NE football (Blaudschun) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New signs of life in NE football (Blaudschun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know many more BC alums affiliated with the BC program than Blaudschun and there isn't any interest in playing UCONN. What gets BC fans excited is playing teams like FSU, ND and Clemson in football. The regional rival will be Cuse not UCONN.

I certainly respect your opinion 4BostonEagle but I also live in Boston where one of my closest friends is an influential BC alum and he tells me there is indeed growing interest in renewing the UConn rivalry. There is regret on both sides over all the acrimony, cooler heads are currently in charge at both schools, and there's a need to reinvigorate attendance at the Conte Forum and Alumni Field. What better vehicle to help accomplish that than with a renewal (he calls it a "reestablishment") of a true local rivalry with UConn, rather than trying to manufature a long distance one with Georgia Tech and NC St. I hope he's right because we both would enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Since Blausschun is in utopia fantasy world....let's play a bit with the concept.

Nov. 19, 2011:

Harvard @ Yale Attendance: 55,137.
Louisville @ UCONN Attendance: 34,483.

Nov. 17, 2012
Yale @ Harvard Attendance: 31,123
Virginia Tech @ BC Attendance: 34,266

November 23, 2013
Harvard @ Yale Attendance: 50,934
(we were @ Temple that saturday but:)
November 30, 2013
University of New Jersey @ UCONN Attendance: 22,163

IF, in a theoretical, utopian world where the northeast culture was similar to other regions of the country, and there was ONE big football program in Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively, and they were in the same conference, and had decades of yearly tradition in competition, there is no reason whatsoever not to suspect that an 80,000 seat capacity arena would not be filled - at least in Connecticut - at least once a year.

THe real fantasy, is that northeast programs like UConn, BC, UMass, Syracuse, Temple, Penn State, Univeristy of New Jersey- could all be in the same conference.

In the real world - in 2014, we've got BYU, Stony Brook, Boise St, Cincinnati, Central Florida, SMU and Temple coming to play at Rentschler. If we win our conference and are a high ranking team at the end of the season, we will make a nice bowl game. If we qualify for post season, we will go to a bowl game in Florida, the Bahamas, Texas or someplace else warm.

UMass and BC, getting on the schedule would be nice, and should be pursued, but we've got higher priorities.

Pretty odd you left of the Thursday Night game against UMass on 8/30/2012
Attendance 35,270
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322430041

1389516065418018.jpg

Reaction Score
Pretty odd you left of the Thursday Night game against UMass on 8/30/2012
Attendance 35,270
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322430041

1389516065418018.jpg

No - I'm well aware of that game. I was there. I was pointing out the fall weekends in the past three years where the two New ENgland football programs with the longest and most storied histories played each other, and when either UCONN or Boston College was home as well. The attendance counts announced are right there.

WHen UCONN is winning, and selling out Rentschler, and Yale and Harvard are having good years - and the Harvard Yale game and a UCONN home game coincide on a fall saturday in Connecticut, there are 90,000-100,000 people buying tickets for college football in Connecticut. As it was just two months ago, with a sh8tty UCONN team at 1-9 and down year for Yale/Harvard at Yale Bowl - there were 74,000.

That's my point. THe college game, on a fall saturday in Connecticut most definitely is not small potatoes, it's just divided, and there is no CONFERENCE for football fans to rally around.

If you want to include UMass games in those counts, that's fine, add them in.

Reaction Score
No - I'm well aware of that game. I was there. I was pointing out the fall weekends in the past three years where the two New ENgland football programs with the longest and most storied histories played each other, and when either UCONN or Boston College was home as well. The attendance counts announced are right there.

WHen UCONN is winning, and selling out Rentschler, and Yale and Harvard are having good years - and the Harvard Yale game and a UCONN home game coincide on a fall saturday in Connecticut, there are 90,000-100,000 people buying tickets for college football in Connecticut. As it was just two months ago, with a sh8tty UCONN team at 1-9 and down year for Yale/Harvard at Yale Bowl - there were 74,000.

That's my point. THe college game, on a fall saturday in Connecticut most definitely is not small potatoes, it's just divided, and there is no CONFERENCE for football fans to rally around.

If you want to include UMass games in those counts, that's fine, add them in.

Harvard Yale is not really a football game. It is a social event. People are there more for the tailgate than the football game. Many probably didn't know they were at a football game.

Harvard had attendance of 17,256, 8185, 11,188, 13,470 and 10,235 for their other home games.

Yale had 18,600, 13,691, 7832 and 7988 for their other home games.

Reaction Score
Harvard Yale is not really a football game. It is a social event. People are there more for the tailgate than the football game. Many probably didn't know they were at a football game.

Harvard had attendance of 17,256, 8185, 11,188, 13,470 and 10,235 for their other home games.

Yale had 18,600, 13,691, 7832 and 7988 for their other home games.

I know that. That's because football was completely deemphasized at a competitive level in their conference beyond interschool rivalry 60 years ago. 60 years later, they are still gathering for the event.

Is a UCONN football game NOT a social event? Not a tailgate focus? In the past two seasons, the tailgates have been the best part of the program IMNSHO. I'd like to see the football on the field improve quite a bit and become a much more important part of the day.

What lacks for college football in the northeast, is a conference for the programs that compete at the top level, to compete against each other. It's been lacking since the Ivy's deemphasize football in the 1960s.

Should that kind of conference ever form, I believe 100% that you would see very large crowds develop. Unfortunately, the best chance of it happening was in 1982 (and did not involve UCONN) but it was shot down by the Big East basketball conference when they chose not to admit Penn State into the conference. The next best chance was in 1994-1995, but the Big EAst again, (and did not involve UCONN) shot it down, and chose to admit Notre Dame as a partial member instead. The rest is history been over it a 1,000 times.

We owe our existence at the highest level, to the Big East conference, and northeastern USA college football, owes it's state of affairs to both the Ivy League and the Big East conference.

Unfortunately, the chances of a northeastern geographic based conference that makes sense, forming, is essentially NIL, unless the entire current NCAA and conference structures completely blow up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I certainly respect your opinion 4BostonEagle but I also live in Boston where one of my closest friends is an influential BC alum and he tells me there is indeed growing interest in renewing the UConn rivalry. There is regret on both sides over all the acrimony, cooler heads are currently in charge at both schools, and there's a need to reinvigorate attendance at the Conte Forum and Alumni Field. What better vehicle to help accomplish that than with a renewal (he calls it a "reestablishment") of a true local rivalry with UConn, rather than trying to manufature a long distance one with Georgia Tech and NC St. I hope he's right because we both would enjoy the ride.

I appreciate the post but I know that the majority of BC football boosters that I speak to aren't interested in playing UCONN. Proximity doesn't mean schools have to be play (Oklahoma-Nebraska & Texas and A&M prove that) and you can't be a rival if only one school thinks it's a rivalry. BC had a very solid ACC record before Spaz and looks to be on the right track with Daz. Add 9 conference games, UMASS, and non conference games with USC and there really isn't room on the schedule.

Also I am amazed at the amount of BC fans that still bring up what happened the last time they went to Storrs for football. Trust me when I tell you some of those old guys have a long memory and have made major noise when even the hint of playing UCONN was brought up.

Reaction Score
Also I am amazed at the amount of BC fans that still bring up what happened the last time they went to Storrs for football. Trust me when I tell you some of those old guys have a long memory and have made major noise when even the hint of playing UCONN was brought up.[/quote]

Is long memory code for live in the past?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Also I am amazed at the amount of BC fans that still bring up what happened the last time they went to Storrs for football. Trust me when I tell you some of those old guys have a long memory and have made major noise when even the hint of playing UCONN was brought up.

Is long memory code for live in the past?[/quote]

Which still pales in comparision to what BC did to UCONN or the cowardly and counterproductive reasoning behind it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Is long memory code for live in the past?
It's code for bunch of scared elitest pricks that think their don't stink. If you're sure of your place in the world, why not take the opportunity to pound us and take the easy win? Scared.

Reaction Score

I'll assume you meant East Hartford (since I think it's been about 75 years since BC played in Storrs), but quick question: do you think that your fans were 100% hospitable to us when we went to Chestnut Hill?

I'll be honest, there were more than a few kids in collar-up Abercrombie shirts who deserved a punch in the face when I was there in 2004 - but I was more concerned with gift-wrapping a TD for you on the opening drive and not being able to move the ball in the first half than I was with what Thatcher and Bradford from Belmont had to say.

In any event, just how many BC fans do you think had to endure "what happened"? Year after year, the story gets worse, and BC fans make it sound like it was the Bataan death march. They should grow up and grow a pair.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope we get off of this page and the ESPN bottom 10 next season.

The 'Watch Out in 2014' Bowl - Connecticut Huskies (3-9) vs. South Alabama Jaguars (6-6) - The highlight of UConn's first nine games was nearly beating Michigan. Bleak, right? The Huskies saw their head coach Paul Pasqualoni get fired in September and started the season 0-9. But they got hot down the stretch, winning their last three games to go into the offseason on a high note. South Alabama was 3-6 after getting routed by Navy in November, but also closed the season with three straight wins over UL Monroe, Georgia State and Louisiana-Lafayette. OK, maybe that's not so impressive after all.

http://arizonasports.com/135/168693...nal-Bowl-Games-for-College-Footballs-Alsorans

Reaction Score
I appreciate the post but I know that the majority of BC football boosters that I speak to aren't interested in playing UCONN. Proximity doesn't mean schools have to be play (Oklahoma-Nebraska & Texas and A&M prove that) and you can't be a rival if only one school thinks it's a rivalry. BC had a very solid ACC record before Spaz and looks to be on the right track with Daz. Add 9 conference games, UMASS, and non conference games with USC and there really isn't room on the schedule.

Live in Boston area and occasionally endure lunch, golf and yes... invites for tailgating with the B.C. alums. The stuff that supposedly "happened" is reconstituted garbage based on hearsay and conjecture. As I have said to them all, including my biz partner who is a BC alum, ...perhaps you need Hersheys chocolate with your breast milk?
Get real.....you're isolated from a conference with your nearest conference competitor 6 hours away and majority 800 miles away trying to fabricate rivalries and circle jerking in the process. BC is a great university with tremendous academics and history that needs to come to grips with the reality of life in 2014 and schedule an annual home and home series. Except for football, all ties have been reestablished or connected as in the case of Hockey East. Schedule the game...you need to fill the seats in Alumni Field (and at Conte).

Lastly, tell the "old guys" above to remove their leather helmets because it's fogging their capacity to clearly see the present day situation. If you keep living in the past, you will never truly enjoy the present and future.

Reaction Score
I'll assume you meant East Hartford (since I think it's been about 75 years since BC played in Storrs), but quick question: do you think that your fans were 100% hospitable to us when we went to Chestnut Hill?

I'll be honest, there were more than a few kids in collar-up Abercrombie shirts who deserved a punch in the face when I was there in 2004 - but I was more concerned with gift-wrapping a TD for you on the opening drive and not being able to move the ball in the first half than I was with what Thatcher and Bradford from Belmont had to say.

In any event, just how many BC fans do you think had to endure "what happened"? Year after year, the story gets worse, and BC fans make it sound like it was the Bataan death march. They should grow up and grow a pair.

I wasn't there but I do know a couple of people (one a student and one older) who had pretty ridiculous stories about a girl on the BC student bus being hit with a full beer can or bottle in the head (it was thrown at the bus) another Senior fan that I know was pretty much screamed at after the game with plenty of and the like. I've been to plenty of away games and I have never seen full beers thrown at a bus before.

My opinion is that playing UCONN does nothing for BC and only helps UCONN and I don't get excited by the game at all so I see no reason to play in football. I'd rather play teams like Baylor, Northwestern, USC, Tennessee, and Ohio State OOC- they've all been on the schedule in the past or will be in the future. One last thing I don't see BC fans wanting to play UCONN because most do look down on UCONN and their fans. They'd rather be associated with UVA, UNC, Duke, ND and Clemson. Hate and violence don't spell Rivalry to me. That's what a lot of BC fans think when they think UCONN.

Reaction Score
I wasn't there but I do know a couple of people (one a student and one older) who had pretty ridiculous stories about a girl on the BC student bus being hit with a full beer can or bottle in the head (it was thrown at the bus) another Senior fan that I know was pretty much screamed at after the game with plenty of and the like. I've been to plenty of away games and I have never seen full beers thrown at a bus before.

My opinion is that playing UCONN does nothing for BC and only helps UCONN and I don't get excited by the game at all so I see no reason to play in football. I'd rather play teams like Baylor, Northwestern, USC, Tennessee, and Ohio State OOC- they've all been on the schedule in the past or will be in the future. One last thing I don't see BC fans wanting to play UCONN because most do look down on UCONN and their fans. They'd rather be associated with UVA, UNC, Duke, ND and Clemson. Hate and violence don't spell Rivalry to me. That's what a lot of BC fans think when they think UCONN.

I'll agree that those stories are pretty ridiculous (bordering on "I'd have to see it to believe it"), emphatically agree that BC fans look down upon UConn, but disagree that hate and violence don't spell rivalry. Ask some fans of teams in your own conference (e.g., Clemson-USC, UNC-Duke)

For what it's worth, I was on an official UConn bus that rolled into the Orange Bowl in 2002. More than a few of Miami's fans ran up to and rocked the bus on our way in the door, and as we passed by, a kid in a convenience store looked up, saw the UConn bus outside the store, dropped his things and ran out the front door to give us the double-bird. He might have been 11.

This was for a game in which a 2-3 independent visited the no. 1 team in the country after an OT loss at home to Ball State.

Reaction Score
BC fans think the program is better and gains nothing by playing UConn just like many UConn fans think the program is better and gains nothing from playing UMass.

Personally, I think developing rivals with Rutgers, BC, and UMass is in our best interest, and the interest of those teams, but rational people have disagreed with me before.

Reaction Score

You know I took my then 10 and 7 year old daughters to BC for the game in 2004 and Chesterton from Belmont, bombed out of his gourd, threw a beer at a little girl for wearing a UConn shirt. Shouted a few obscenities, too. It didn't become an issue though. He was so drunk his aim was off and he managed to hit the guy we were walking with, a long time BC fan/alumnus/season ticket holder who invited us. Let's just say that I suspect the Alumni Fund got a smaller donation that year.

Reaction Score
BC fans think the program is better and gains nothing by playing UConn just like many UConn fans think the program is better and gains nothing from playing UMass.

Personally, I think developing rivals with Rutgers, BC, and UMass is in our best interest, and the interest of those teams, but rational people have disagreed with me before.

I'd agree with this assessment too, Irish Loop. I did not attend BC, but live not too far from the BC campus, so became a BC football fan primarily for this singular reason alone. BC 's demographics of its student body has changed the last 35 years. Many of its current students and younger alums are from outside of New England, so for many of them UCONN football has no interest for them. The older BC Alums like Syracuse as a potential annual rivalry game as there is a history of playing them since the 1950's. The older BC alums and non alum fans see UConn football as an 0-13 vs. BC, and one they don't recruit against much. There is little to no mention of Uconn on any of the BC football fan websites ( like " Eagle Outsider ", Eagle Action", " BC Sports Fan ", Eagles in Atlanta, and so forth ) as there are more students, recent alums from NY- NJ than Connecticut in their fan base, so they'd be more interested in what is going on in Rutgers, Syracuse than anything going on with Uconn football.... finally, the analogy as to the way Uconn looks at Umass, is a good analogy as to how most BC football fans look at UCONN football. Uconn gets little to nothing out of playing Umass. ... that said, I do see a time when BC might play Uconn in football again. BC plays Uconn in basketball. But there was a problem of violence the last time BC played Uconn in Hartford. I was there. I witnessed it. But BC will someday play Uconn in football again, imo. But it probably won't be for another decade or so, imo. Thats how I assess this anyway.

Reaction Score
It's code for bunch of scared elitest pricks that think their don't stink. If you're sure of your place in the world, why not take the opportunity to pound us and take the easy win? Scared.

I really have no idea which of the stories, accusations made in football fan base camps are accurate and which are overblown, and which are simply made up stories of events by others because they have an agenda. I do know however that when Uconn came up for a vote for admittance into the Big East, that BC voted " yes " for admittance that allowed them in. And for several years BC played Uconn in Basketball and Football in the BE, and BC would typically lose to UCONN in Basketball( Men's and Women's ) most years, but beat them in football. But there were no real bad vitriol between the schools. But then as we know things went downhill with the lawsuit and the public accusations by Uconn on what BC was doing. I have no interest in who was right, nor who was wrong, as perhaps it was all BC being as evil as many Uconn fans seem to be saying( but then why you'd want to then future associate in any manner with evil, bad, nefarious entities, escapes me ), but I do know that things went downhill pretty quickly with the lawsuit and then the public statements coming out from the Press, and the Coaches, and the AG of Connecticut clearly made it difficult if not impossible for BC to decide to continue to play football in Hartford, especially given the genuine and real safety issues there for its cheerleaders, band, and BC fans traveling there after the charges and lawsuit flew. Time heals most things. I imagine that in time the hate will subside enough on both sides for a football game to take place between these 2 schools. But I don't see either side that makes these decisions at the highest level of these 2 schools burying the hatchet anytime over the next 6-10 years. But they will in time, imo. I'd certainly like to see BC play Uconn in football down the road.. thats because I'm a New Englander, and think it could be a good New England matchup. But not now. Too much bad karma right now for it to happen, imo. Besides, both schools have enough future football opponents to keep their interest in the immediate future, imo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not buying the "bad karma" bit. Our last game was 10 years ago, and all of the major players are now gone.

Oh, and BC might not like being sued for having wronged us, but we didn't exactly like being wronged, either.

I really have no idea which of the stories, accusations made in football fan base camps are accurate and which are overblown, and which are simply made up stories of events by others because they have an agenda. I do know however that when Uconn came up for a vote for admittance into the Big East, that BC voted " yes " for admittance that allowed them in. And for several years BC played Uconn in Basketball and Football in the BE, and BC would typically lose to UCONN in Basketball( Men's and Women's ) most years, but beat them in football. But there were no real bad vitriol between the schools. But then as we know things went downhill with the lawsuit and the public accusations by Uconn on what BC was doing. I have no interest in who was right, nor who was wrong, as perhaps it was all BC being as evil as many Uconn fans seem to be saying( but then why you'd want to then future associate in any manner with evil, bad, nefarious entities, escapes me ), but I do know that things went downhill pretty quickly with the lawsuit and then the public statements coming out from the Press, and the Coaches, and the AG of Connecticut clearly made it difficult if not impossible for BC to decide to continue to play football in Hartford, especially given the genuine and real safety issues there for its cheerleaders, band, and BC fans traveling there after the charges and lawsuit flew. Time heals most things. I imagine that in time the hate will subside enough on both sides for a football game to take place between these 2 schools. But I don't see either side that makes these decisions at the highest level of these 2 schools burying the hatchet anytime over the next 6-10 years. But they will in time, imo. I'd certainly like to see BC play Uconn in football down the road.. thats because I'm a New Englander, and think it could be a good New England matchup. But not now. Too much bad karma right now for it to happen, imo. Besides, both schools have enough future football opponents to keep their interest in the immediate future, imo

Reaction Score
I'd like to see lots more football games amongst New England schools. You are not from the Boston area, so it won't interest you, but I'd also like to
see BC play Harvard. It wouldn't hurt, and it'd be better than going to see BC play Weber State.. and BC ( like Uconn ) has played Yale before, and wouldn't you rather go see Uconn play Yale, than Uconn play Hofstra, Fordham and some such non N.E schools ?. BC will open vs. Umass next season, and there is much more intersest in the Greater Boston region among casual local fans for that game ( for understandable reasons ) than for BC- Uconn. BC has agreed to play ND at Fenway Park in 2015, as a ND HOME GAME ( with ND getting the biggest ticket allotment and the choicest seats for the game ). Imagine that scenario with more than half the fans at Fenway Park probably going to be rooting for ND. But BC agreed to it, and BC did agree to play Uconn in both Men and Woman's Basketball, and yet what chances do they really have in beating them in these future games ? So I can see the day that Uconn gets a future OOC football game with BC that many here seem to covet.. but the bad karma is still present ( both at BC and within the ACC offices ) imo that won't make this happen for another 7-12 years, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And YOU still have never seen a beer can/bottle thrown at a game. You heard it from a friend about a story they heard or claimed to have seen. I have yet to hear from an actual fan who saw this happen, just people who heard a story about it. I have no clue if that happened. I was there, didn't see anything inappropriate inside or outside the stadium. Actually had decent conversations with several BC fans after the game who were there with friends from UConn. They liked the game, liked the stadium (other than it being off campus), and liked the idea of a local team to play regularly. It doesn't mean a few drunk idiots weren't obnoxious to visiting fans. Shoot, I've seen seen it (home, away, NFL games, etc...) , and it's not just directed at away fans, it's at people in the vicinity. That is the .01% (if that high) of the fans, yet BC posters painted the picture that it was the majority of UConn fans behaving that way.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Very fair and level headed, so thank you. Obviously we feel things like the lawsuit are farther in the past than you do. Like you, I think a rise in interest in New England football can only be a good thing for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom