New signs of life in NE football (Blaudschun) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New signs of life in NE football (Blaudschun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've never met anyone that calls themselves a BC fan or alum from the Boston region that thinks at all about Uconn football anymore. They will only bring up Uconn football when it is brought up to them first in conversation. I have relatives in Hamden, CT, and Northford, CT, and they'll bring it up and we'll have friendly and frank conversations re. UCONN football and BC football, but thats about it in my personal experiences in and around Boston these days. There is actually more Rutgers ( or Umass ) football interest in Greater Boston than for Uconn football, as there are more NY- NJ residents attending schools ( or did ) in Greater Boston than from UConn. I've met more BC alums from NY- NJ in my travels around town than grads of Uconn that are from Connecticut too. I'm not sure that most BC football fans could tell us what the Uconn Coach's name is. But I do know that the typical UCONN football fan knows the BC Coach's name, and knows way more about BC football this year than the typical BC football fan knows about Uconn football these days. Thats why I 'd be fine if BC and UCONN could get together again and play football. But with so many of the incoming BC students now coming from outside N.E.. I just don't see the BC students and the recent BC recent alums having all that much interest in it, regretably.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. If we played for an annual "New England Cup"... It would definitely be talked about.

Reaction Score
And YOU still have never seen a beer can/bottle thrown at a game. You heard it from a friend about a story they heard or claimed to have seen. I have yet to hear from an actual fan who saw this happen, just people who heard a story about it. I have no clue if that happened. I was there, didn't see anything inappropriate inside or outside the stadium. Actually had decent conversations with several BC fans after the game who were there with friends from UConn. They liked the game, liked the stadium (other than it being off campus), and liked the idea of a local team to play regularly. It doesn't mean a few drunk idiots weren't obnoxious to visiting fans. Shoot, I've seen seen it (home, away, NFL games, etc...) , and it's not just directed at away fans, it's at people in the vicinity. That is the .01% (if that high) of the fans, yet BC posters painted the picture that it was the majority of UConn fans behaving that way.
Okay, I SAW IT HAPPEN. Probably 20 yards away from me heading towards me. Lots of stuff being thrown at the BC buses with students (school buses, not motor coaches). BC kids hanging out the windows and yelling. Typical things college kids think is cool and appropriate. Lots of yelling back. Commotion could be heard coming for a couple of minutes. Saw some eggs and beer cans that I assumed were empty. But there were a few bottles chucked too. BC kids start ducking back inside the bus. Full can of beer, heaved at the bus and girl was hit in the head thru the window. Not a clean shot but she was hit. Can was full because I could see the spray from it exploding. 1 in 100,000 shot. Windshield of the bus was also cracked but not clear if that was from the stuff being thrown. Never saw who threw it, but cops showed up and tried to find out who did it (yeah, good luck). Tailgate for the balance of the game really sucked as the cops never left the area. Post game, me, a 45+ year old at the time, had to get between a thoroughly trashed student (I assume based on appearance) that was screaming a tirade of profanity at two BC fans that had three 5 to 10 year old kids with them. He was challenging them to a fight and was about an inch away from one of the guys face who kept trying to walk around him. I grabbed the kid and told him to calm down and have a beer with me. He told me the STFU and then stumbled away still screaming that he was going to F up some BC fan before the night was done. Wonder where the cops were post game?

The Uconn fan behavior that day/night was as bad as it ever was. I have seen yelling at other fans and some swearing, but that was way over the top. I have seen stuff being thrown at opposing tailgates every so often since then buit they are the occasional empty. I have seen Uconn fans trying to beat the crap out of each other, and there have been other times I have seen embarrassing things. But 9/6/2003 was the worst and it did happen. There was a pretty good police security presence for the balance of that season because of it. I would say security in general is still higher in the lots around the stadium since that day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that most BC football fans could tell us what the Uconn Coach's name is. But I do know that the typical UCONN football fan knows the BC Coach's name
BS. Diaco was a name a lot of BC fans knew and many wanted him to be the next coach at BC rather than Daz. In fact, BC fans I know thought hiring of Adazzio at this time last year was a huge mistake. Amazing what a 7 win season can do to make people forget so quickly.

Reaction Score
There is actually more Rutgers ( or Umass ) football interest in Greater Boston than for Uconn football

I would certainly expect interest to be expressed for these more "localized" schools but it's all a matter of degree. I live in downtown Boston and frequent lots of clients in office buildings filled with folks who like to talk sports and especially football. Frankly there is a dearth of commentary about any college football and almost none for BC. It's mostly about the pro teams--but we already know about that Boston phenomenon. What's interesting is the number of times UConn is mentioned when we do get around to talking about college sports. Interestingly, I have yet to meet anyone in those buildings from Clemson, Wake Forest or Ga. Tech--and no-one talks about them. The point is simple. To raise the level of conversation and interest in College Football in New England there must be games between the two big powers in the area. It's called a smart business decision which helps raise regional interest for both schools. The fact that both schools now have different (and I would assert more rational) leadership, tells me a BC-UConn Football series is inevitable.

Reaction Score
I love reading the BC fans posting on a UConn Football message board forum pontificating about how no BC fans care about UConn football. Interesting...

But I believe that perhaps you misunderstood my post above. I said that as a BC fan ( that has familiy ties in 2 communities in Connecticut,... and so stated this above ) that I do not encounter much interest in Greater Boston on Uconn football among the casual fans of college football in Boston.... heck theres little interest as it is in college sports in Boston... including BC. The Boston region is largely a Pro sports oriented town with sports fans here. College sports are primarily viewed as farm systems for the Pros. The biggest interest most here have in college football is the NFL Draft Day.

Reaction Score
I would certainly expect interest to be expressed for these more "localized" schools but it's all a matter of degree. I live in downtown Boston and frequent lots of clients in office buildings filled with folks who like to talk sports and especially football. Frankly there is a dearth of commentary about any college football and almost none for BC. It's mostly about the pro teams--but we already know about that Boston phenomenon. What's interesting is the number of times UConn is mentioned when we do get around to talking about college sports. Interestingly, I have yet to meet anyone in those buildings from Clemson, Wake Forest or Ga. Tech--and no-one talks about them. The point is simple. To raise the level of conversation and interest in College Football in New England there must be games between the two big powers in the area. It's called a smart business decision which helps raise regional interest for both schools. The fact that both schools now have different (and I would assert more rational) leadership, tells me a BC-UConn Football series is inevitable.

Would be great. As long as it was an ACC conference game. Otherwise not in favor. Too bad Flipper didn't understand the value of a near by conference rival.

Reaction Score
No games with BC until they lead the way to have UConn become a conference rival. Until then, let them rot in geographic isolation. Would rather have an end of season rivalry with Memphis.

Reaction Score
Would be great. As long as it was an ACC conference game. Otherwise not in favor. Too bad Flipper didn't understand the value of a near by conference rival.

Rightly or wrongly, BC sees ND as their Catholic school rival, but of course ND football thinks about BC football, the way BC looks upon Uconn football, as largely insignificant in their world. Its harsh, but its just the pecking order thats been established by the powers that be in college football.... as for a future local rival, it appears that BC and Syracuse will be football annual rivals in their division of the ACC. Syracuse, despite their recent down years, does have a long history of playing annual football games with BC going back to the 40's, and for decades the 2 schools often vied for the same northeast football recruits. So there is some long and traditional football history here between the 2 northeast private ( not public ) Universities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rightly or wrongly, BC sees ND as their Catholic school rival, but of course ND football thinks about BC football, the way BC looks upon Uconn football, as largely insignificant in their world. Its harsh, but its just the pecking order thats been established by the powers that be in college football.... as for a future local rival, it appears that BC and Syracuse will be football annual rivals in their division of the ACC. Syracuse, despite their recent down years, does have a long history of playing annual football games with BC going back to the 40's, and for decades the 2 schools often vied for the same northeast football recruits. So there is some long and traditional football history here between the 2 northeast private ( not public ) Universities.

You mean that Notre Dame views BC the way they view UConn - a football program that owns a winning record against the Irish? A football program that walked into TD Jesus's House, beat up the resident yokels, walked out with a win, and convinced them to fire their coach. And what do you mean the way BC looks upon UConn football? You mean they wonder how cool it would have been like to have been to a New Year's Day Bowl post-Doug Flutie? And that's not even getting into basketball comparisons. BC is an afterthought in the Boston market and distant cousin that the family doesn't talk about to the other ACC members.

Reaction Score
Great article. Couldn't agree more. UCONN should scheule Home and Homes with both UMASS and BC.
Good for NE football!

Reaction Score
You mean that Notre Dame views BC the way they view UConn - a football program that owns a winning record against the Irish? A football program that walked into TD Jesus's House, beat up the resident yokels, walked out with a win, and convinced them to fire their coach. And what do you mean the way BC looks upon UConn football? You mean they wonder how cool it would have been like to have been to a New Year's Day Bowl post-Doug Flutie? And that's not even getting into basketball comparisons. BC is an afterthought in the Boston market and distant cousin that the family doesn't talk about to the other ACC members.

Yes, I do believe that most ND fans look at both UCONN and BC as insignificant to them. I would think you would tend to agree with this. And yes, as a non alum of BC, but born and raised and living now near Boston, my assessment is that the majority of casual sports fans in Greater Boston rarely think of BC Football at all. And I've yet to meet any casual non alum BC football fans from Greater Boston that thinks about Uconn football .. unless the subject is brought up to them. And few casual sports fans in Boston ( non BC football fans ) are interested in UCONN football and wouldn't want to talk about the subject frankly, no matter who brought the subject up.. As mentioned, few casual sports fans brought up and raised in Eastern Massachusetts care about college football (or college basketball for that matter )at all. I would much prefer to see BC play Uconn in football than BC play Umass in football. But I can tell you that I am a distinct minority in this region around Greater Boston. The vast majority could care less who BC plays, but given a choice between Umass or Uconn on their OOC schedule,, the vast majority that live in Greater Boston would prefer BC play Umass, for the simple understandable and logical reason that there are way, way more Umass ( or other schools in the Mass. college state system ) grads in the area than UCONN grads.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great article. Couldn't agree more. UCONN should scheule Home and Homes with both UMASS and BC.
Good for NE football!

I am under no illusion however that if BC played UCONN in football that it would do anything at all for the interest level of college football in the region. Not insofar as the interest level for the college game in Greater Boston region anyway. UCONN could play BC...... even beat BC in the game... and hardly any sports fans would notice nor care in Greater Boston. The story might make the sports headlines in the New Haven Register and the Hartford Courant, but it would buried inside the Boston Globe on page 2 or page 3, with the Pro teams of Boston above the fold and what most sports fans in Greater Boston would be mostly interested in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BCU lied the whole time while they were trying to destroy our program. And they are the one taking umbrage? I hate BCU, no bigger phonies in college sports.

Reaction Score
Why would casual sports fans in Boston be interested in UConn football?

They aren't even interested in Boston College football.

Reaction Score

If BC "looks upon UCONN as insignificant" why has BC, by the admission of its former AD, been so adamant about making sure UCONN is left out of the ACC to lay claim to the New England market. I think UCONN scares BC to death and BC views UCONN as anything but insignificant.

As for BC and Syracuse, the fan bases had better hope those programs have some meaningful success. Without that, there will be no regional interest. Frankly, outside of Syracuse basketball, it looks pretty bleak for both in the ACC. It's been along time since Flutie or Jim Brown took a piss at BC or Syracuse and a real long time since either of those football programs have won a conference championship, let alone being relevant on a national level. They better figure out a way to win and win soon or Conte Forum may be the norm.

Reaction Score
BCU lied the whole time while they were trying to destroy our program. And they are the one taking umbrage? I hate BCU, no bigger phonies in college sports.

Agree. Well . . .. maybe a bigger phony would be ESPN, our good neighbor who took UConn under its wing during the formative years - NOT. Screw them. In fact post State Police at every entrance onto the premises and ticket the hell out of everyone associated with them.

Reaction Score
Guys, guys, Fr. Leahy was very clear. The primary reason BC made the change was for academics. To join the legions like....................Louisville...............

Reaction Score
Why would casual sports fans in Boston be interested in UConn football?

They aren't even interested in Boston College football.

Exactly.. that is my point. A BC- Uconn game would do little to change that perception of the college game for most casual sports fans around Boston either. It is what it is. Its a pro sports town. Blaudschun departed the Boston Globe and blogs from who know where now because there is no Big East and few people care about college football in the Greater Boston region.... BC included. Ergo, Blaud is history, and might be blogging now from his home basement now for all we know.

Reaction Score
Exactly.. that is my point. A BC- Uconn game would do little to change that perception of the college game for most casual sports fans around Boston either. It is what it is. Its a pro sports town. Blaudschun departed the Boston Globe and blogs from who know where now because there is no Big East and few people care about college football in the Greater Boston region.... BC included. Ergo, Blaud is history, and might be blogging now from his home basement now for all we know.

Why are you here?

Reaction Score
Why are you here?

Because I am interested in Uconn football, as I have family relatives in 3 communities in Connecticut, ( wife is from Connecticut, went to college in Connecticut ) and am a fan of BC football having been born and raised and currently live 8 miles from the BC campus... and this thread is about N.E. College football, including Umass, BC, and Uconn and it peaked my interest to chime in with my thoughts and observations re. this thread topic from a non BC Alums perspective living in Greater Boston.

Reaction Score

Typical BC. Insular, narrow focused and, frankly, intellectually dishonest.

BC in Boston is only part of the equation. Sure, it is what it is, a pro sports town that, outside of some time when Doug Flutie was under center, could give a rat's about BC.

But, UCONN has a big following in New England and a football game with BC would fill both the Rent and Alumni and if either or both program(s) started performing at a consistently high level, it could be a very big event. Hell, UCONN fans used to fill Conte to watch UCONN beat BC 40,000 times in a row.

BC's attitude towards UCONN in the ACC is classic small time thinking. The efforts to protect their interests are actually doing just the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom