New Poster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Poster

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I too have been a member for awhile but not posted till this week. I graduated in 1980, my dad in 54 and my late husband in 78. Those who started following UConn after we started becoming successful don't seem to appreciate where we were and how we got to a National program that can boast 4 National Championships. I have had season tickets since 1982 for Hartford, field house and Gampel. I remember having to listen to games on the radio as I did for the Great Alaskan Shootout many years ago.
I follow some of the threads and am saddened and appalled at the negativity and anger I read.
Being a fan should mean sticking with your team good or bad. We are experiencing a rough spot. Any transition in life whether it be loss or change can be rocky but instead of bashing coaches, players and each other we should be as supportive and encouraging as we can esp. during rough spots.
If I had a son thinking about playing at UConn and read some of the vile things on this site I would advise him to steer clear. No young man deserves the ridicule and hateful things I read on this site.
Keep posting Kathy.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
This subject was false advertisement.

Here I was thinking there would be a sweet new UConn poster that I could add to my collection, maybe one featuring the vaunted 2016 freshman "Top 5" class for which I could have marked X's on the departed and thrown darts at.

Needless to say I am disappointed but hey welcome to the BY I guess

Reaction Score
Thanks for the memories. I was there for a lot of that, too, Perno, leaky field house, Jeff King, etc. Earl Kelley was my first favorite. I sure hope things turn around for us this coming year.
I loved Earl, man was Syracuse pissed he didn't follow his brother there

Reaction Score
We could use John Thomas now. Just give me a big player who can defend and rebound and doesn't have to get shots. Welcome!
JT was a tough player, fought for the rebound like I do for a candy out my kids Easter baskets

Reaction Score
Hello. Is UConn better off in the Big East? This will base my opinion of you for the rest of your being here, so answer carefully.
Wow, better off, I remember the first year of the Big East the coaches picked UCONN to co in first. Cop out by Louie, Thompson, Rollie, and Coach B.....I believe we finished 3rd. Yes I believe UCONN would be better in the BIG East, basketball wise, unfortunately it will never happen as long as the football money is out there. Has the ACC helped BC? but they rake in the money. The Big East shot itself in the foot by not allowing Penn ST in. Gavitt said that it would eventually doom us and it did.

Reaction Score
That was the best. He played a big role in that championship run. He made up for that one unfortunate pass times ten. Still glad they have that picture posted in Gampel.
He through that pass 20 feet in front of where we had our tickets.....I yelled "NO" as he through it

Reaction Score
This is good news.
How much time did you say you had to devote to the site?
I have time now, and will post things that I know.....I'm not the person that needs to feel important, or post breaking news. I have friends that are AD's for NVL schools and also coach there. I will post stuff I know if I see something incorrect, but not names. I will say the Kid at Sacred Heart is a very good talent and has a big heart. In this past NVL league title game he hurt his knee in the first quarter and team was down, sat out 2nd and most of 3rd....limped on the court and played a 4th qtr like ive never seen. Put back dunks, blocks, etc on 1 leg....tough kid.
Ryan Gomes brother plays on the Holy Cross team....nice player

Reaction Score
Here I was thinking there would be a sweet new UConn poster that I could add to my collection, maybe one featuring the vaunted 2016 freshman "Top 5" class for which I could have marked X's on the departed and thrown darts at.
Funny. Usually I save them, but I took my last year's poster and trashed it.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board. At 49 and a fan since I was a kid, I share many of your memories. I remember being super excited when Al Weston taught us gym one day in grammar school (I grew up and still live in Cromwell). Where we differ is I do not fondly recall "Big Chuck" After his appearance on the show Fast N Loud this year, he's somewhat dead to me. Here's a summary from a UK site.

Chuck Aleksinas won a national championship at the University of Kentucky in 1978 and then transferred to UConn 13 games into his sophomore season in Lexington. He later went on to the NBA where he was drafted by the Bulls and traded to Golden State for a season, before finishing his career overseas.
Aleksinas reappeared to the world Monday night on an episode of Discovery’s Fast N’ Loud wearing a UK hat and mentioning his time at Kentucky, while failing to mention anything about Connecticut, his home state school where he averaged 12 points and six rebounds in two seasons.

Since he doesn't acknowledge his home state school, I don't acknowledge him.
Well I will respond to this as best I can. I watch fast and loud and when I saw the sign MORRIS I started laughing because its on rte 63 about 4 miles from my ma's house where I grew up. I also at a young age was asst mgr at the gas/conv store at the 4corners of 109/63. One of my good friends was the manager and a WAMOGO graduate, and freshman PG on Chucks title team. He hit 2 FTs with 5 secs or so to win the semi final game in that run. Chuck is a very nice guy, really is a gentle giant. I saw him in a Dunkin in Watertown about 6 weeks ago. Nobody knew who he was. I shook his hand and kept walking. I figure he preferred that. I alos was taken a little back by the Kentucky hat, but here is the rub. Chuck did not have a great experience at CT. Some players were jealous of his title with KY in 76 I believe it was Goose Givens, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips I think were the players. One person in particular, from Waterbury and a CROSS graduate gave him a very difficult time.
Jealousy ruined that team for those 2 years.....a shame, they should have been very good they also edited on fast n loud his basketball career.

Reaction Score
If only I could purge his idiotic, selfish play at the end of the 1982 BET from my mind. UConn would would have been better off if that stiff never set foot on campus.
Sorry knowing what I know I can't agree

Reaction Score
Welcome!

I'm in your same age range, and only started posting here over the last year, so I can relate. I didn't attend UConn or go to any games growing up. But in the 70's I fell asleep with my transistor radio under the pillow listening to the games, Tony Hanson, Joey Whelton, etc. In the early 90's once my career was sorted out I made it a point to attend 21 consecutive BE tournaments, 1990-2011, always wearing national flag blue.

Really hoped I'd see the team win that tournament. And they did! Then to make waves in the NCAA. And they did! Then to make a Final 4 and win it. And they did!! Amazing that they did it 4 times. I can't be impatient with them now. Perspective.
Wow, you hit home with the radio......I did the same

Reaction Score
I too have been a member for awhile but not posted till this week. I graduated in 1980, my dad in 54 and my late husband in 78. Those who started following UConn after we started becoming successful don't seem to appreciate where we were and how we got to a National program that can boast 4 National Championships. I have had season tickets since 1982 for Hartford, field house and Gampel. I remember having to listen to games on the radio as I did for the Great Alaskan Shootout many years ago.
I follow some of the threads and am saddened and appalled at the negativity and anger I read.
Being a fan should mean sticking with your team good or bad. We are experiencing a rough spot. Any transition in life whether it be loss or change can be rocky but instead of bashing coaches, players and each other we should be as supportive and encouraging as we can esp. during rough spots.
If I had a son thinking about playing at UConn and read some of the vile things on this site I would advise him to steer clear. No young man deserves the ridicule and hateful things I read on this site.
Again I remember the GR Alaskan shoot out, I remember losing to AZ ST I believe with a great guard that eventually played for the Lakers etc....his name slips my mind at the moment

Reaction Score
Again I remember the GR Alaskan shoot out, I remember losing to AZ ST I believe with a great guard that eventually played for the Lakers etc....his name slips my mind at the moment

The Alaskan shootout huh? The year Dove came in I believe. I thought we lost to Texas A&M to start but could be wrong. We had to go to the Scoreboard in Waterbury CT to see it on a "special" cable TV station which they had and promoted. Lost to AZ state too? 1-2 at the shootout then they became a team to remember, amazing year to say the least.

Reaction Score
The Alaskan shootout huh? The year Dove came in I believe. I thought we lost to Texas A&M to start but could be wrong. We had to go to the Scoreboard in Waterbury CT to see it on a "special" cable TV station which they had and promoted. Lost to AZ state too? 1-2 at the shootout then they became a team to remember, amazing year to say the least.
The old Scoreboard was a great place, friends of mine. They opened another in Waterbury named Scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Byron Scott was the player at AZ ST, thought Huskies lost to him out there.....he was at State 79-82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Welcome to the board. At 49 and a fan since I was a kid, I share many of your memories. I remember being super excited when Al Weston taught us gym one day in grammar school (I grew up and still live in Cromwell). Where we differ is I do not fondly recall "Big Chuck" After his appearance on the show Fast N Loud this year, he's somewhat dead to me. Here's a summary from a UK site.

Chuck Aleksinas won a national championship at the University of Kentucky in 1978 and then transferred to UConn 13 games into his sophomore season in Lexington. He later went on to the NBA where he was drafted by the Bulls and traded to Golden State for a season, before finishing his career overseas.
Aleksinas reappeared to the world Monday night on an episode of Discovery’s Fast N’ Loud wearing a UK hat and mentioning his time at Kentucky, while failing to mention anything about Connecticut, his home state school where he averaged 12 points and six rebounds in two seasons.

Since he doesn't acknowledge his home state school, I don't acknowledge him.
I ran into Corny Thompson at a dry cleaners right after we won the NIT and chatted a bit. I asked why hedidn't try to score more in the first half of games (Corny scored most of his points in the second half). He told me that if they didn't get Chuck points early that he would take the rest of the game off. Alexsinas the softest big man we ever had at UConn. BTW, there were no tears shed in Kentucky when he transferred. Too bad, he had the body and skills to be very good. He just didn't have the heart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom