New Poster | The Boneyard

New Poster

Reaction Score
I have followed this board for awhile and mostly have enjoyed the posts. I registered awhile ago because I have often been tempted to add, or correct some things I've read. People sometimes forget the fact that opinions are just that opinions. Not right or wrong, just someones opinion.

Being an older person I go back to attending UCONN games as a kid. The town I grew up in(Watertown CT) the park n rec director was one of Dom Perno's roommates in college. He used to purchased x amount of tickets and we would go to most of the games.

My childhood stars if you want to call them that were Al Weston, Joey Whelton, Tony Hanson, John Thomas,Corny, Mike, Norman,Cliffy, Phil, Stevie P etc. The field house used to leak water and was a mess, but as a kid you think its great. This was pre cable tv and all other crap that we have now. Games occasionally were on PBS channel 61.

Some games played at Hartford, some in the old New Haven Coliseum. I'm not going to go on a big rant and hijack the thread, but the dream season was my last year of having season tickets. Marriage, kids and almost every game televised. From where this program was to where it has evolved into is an amazing transformation. When we and yes I say we because being a UCONN fan is a family, beat DUKE I can say I had tears in my eyes.

To say that we have 4 titles is truly a feat. To fully appreciate in my humble opinion, where UCONN is today from where it came is a borderline fairy tale. The bashing, and negative comments at times are warranted but win or loose this is our team...we have no others. No pro teams. I may misremember things, dates times being 55 with 5 kids wears on ya, but I never waiver on the Huskies.

I can still see the late Jeff King sitting on the backboard after the NIT victory. I can still see Corny, Mike McKay, Norman, Vernon Giscombe, Karl Hobbs, Murray Williams, Earl Kelly, Big Chuck, To Chris Smith to now. Are we spoiled? Absolutely, should we be? probably.

Being around the NVL and attending a lot of games over the years (free Pass to NVL games) I've seen a lot of talent pass through here, and seen and heard stories.

UCONN will be back, I'm certain of that because we work harder and have a burning desire to succeed. For those of you that read this thanks, I will keep reading.....so keep posting, if this needs to be moved so be it

Last edited by a moderator:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hi Hoop Capital
I think you and I are in the same age group
My Dad was a UConn grad 1949 - he played soccer a year and flirted with the baseball team before hurting his arm
I was going to all the basketball games (family season ticket holder) since 1964, remember when the baseball field had no fences and the soccer field was positioned in the other direction, no stands and only two wooden benches. Remember the Saturdays at Memorial Stadium and Vinnie Clements - the big games vs Yale
I live and breath UConn but did not go there (played D2 soccer) but my son is a UConn grad. My Mother also graduated UConn
Hope you don't get frustrated on the board - it can be - especially after last season
Again, welcome

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Welcome to the board. It's nice to have another poster who has been around awhile. I started watching UConn in the late 70's with my dad and then attended from 84-88. Had season tickets to the first season at Gampel behind the basket. Those were some great times, even if we had some very tough years. The younger folks here can sometimes feel very entitled.

Yet I never felt as down as I do now, because the landscape of college athletics has changed so much. UConn had a few disadvantages then, like the Field House, but they were easily fixed. The only way to overcome our current disadvantages is to get to a P5 conference. I am hopeful, but this downturn couldn't have come at a worse time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I can still see the late Jeff King sitting on the backboard after the NIT victory. I can still see Corny, Mike McKay, Norman, Vernon Giscombe, Karl Hobbs, Murray Williams, Earl Kelly, Big Chuck, To Chris Smith to now.

Welcome to the board. At 49 and a fan since I was a kid, I share many of your memories. I remember being super excited when Al Weston taught us gym one day in grammar school (I grew up and still live in Cromwell). Where we differ is I do not fondly recall "Big Chuck" After his appearance on the show Fast N Loud this year, he's somewhat dead to me. Here's a summary from a UK site.

Chuck Aleksinas won a national championship at the University of Kentucky in 1978 and then transferred to UConn 13 games into his sophomore season in Lexington. He later went on to the NBA where he was drafted by the Bulls and traded to Golden State for a season, before finishing his career overseas.
Aleksinas reappeared to the world Monday night on an episode of Discovery’s Fast N’ Loud wearing a UK hat and mentioning his time at Kentucky, while failing to mention anything about Connecticut, his home state school where he averaged 12 points and six rebounds in two seasons.

Since he doesn't acknowledge his home state school, I don't acknowledge him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
...and yes I say we because being a UConn fan is a family...

Absolutely right, Hoop Capital. Absolutely right. Glad to be a part of your family.

Of course, I'm that crazy cousin that nobody likes to talk about and that most of the family tries to keep away from the whiskey bottle, but we're family just the same... :cool:

Reaction Score
I have followed this board for awhile and mostly have enjoyed the posts. I registered awhile ago because I have often been tempted to add, or correct some things I've read. People sometimes forget the fact that opinions are just that opinions. Not right or wrong, just someones opinion.

Being an older person I go back to attending UConn games as a kid. The town I grew up in(Watertown CT) the park n rec director was one of Dom Perno's roommates in college. He used to purchased x amount of tickets and we would go to most of the games.

My childhood stars if you want to call them that were Al Weston, Joey Whelton, Tony Hanson, John Thomas,Corny, Mike, Norman,Cliffy, Phil, Stevie P etc. The field house used to leak water and was a mess, but as a kid you think its great. This was pre cable tv and all other crap that we have now. Games occasionally were on PBS channel 61.

Some games played at Hartford, some in the old New Haven Coliseum. I'm not going to go on a big rant and hijack the thread, but the dream season was my last year of having season tickets. Marriage, kids and almost every game televised. From where this program was to where it has evolved into is an amazing transformation. When we and yes I say we because being a UConn fan is a family, beat DUKE I can say I had tears in my eyes.

To say that we have 4 titles is truly a feat. To fully appreciate in my humble opinion, where UConn is today from where it came is a borderline fairy tale. The bashing, and negative comments at times are warranted but win or loose this is our team...we have no others. No pro teams. I may misremember things, dates times being 55 with 5 kids wears on ya, but I never waiver on the Huskies.

I can still see the late Jeff King sitting on the backboard after the NIT victory. I can still see Corny, Mike McKay, Norman, Vernon Giscombe, Karl Hobbs, Murray Williams, Earl Kelly, Big Chuck, To Chris Smith to now. Are we spoiled? Absolutely, should we be? probably.

Being around the NVL and attending a lot of games over the years (free Pass to NVL games) I've seen a lot of talent pass through here, and seen and heard stories.

UConn will be back, I'm certain of that because we work harder and have a burning desire to succeed. For those of you that read this thanks, I will keep reading.....so keep posting, if this needs to be moved so be it
Welcome to the Yard, good luck!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Since he doesn't acknowledge his home state school, I don't acknowledge him.

If only I could purge his idiotic, selfish play at the end of the 1982 BET from my mind. UConn would would have been better off if that stiff never set foot on campus.

pj

Reaction Score
Absolutely right, Hoop Capital. Absolutely right. Glad to be a part of your family.

Of course, I'm that crazy cousin that nobody likes to talk about and that most of the family tries to keep away from the whiskey bottle, but we're family just the same... :cool:

Anybody who thinks Bob Diaco can go 13-0 is a little crazy, but it's lovable crazy so we don't lock you up.

Reaction Score
Thanks and Welcome. Nice to get a fresh perspective, than reading all these boring arse posters' comments who have posted thousands and thousands of posts.

They need to get a life!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Being an older person I go back to attending UConn games as a kid. The town I grew up in(Watertown CT) the park n rec director was one of Dom Perno's roommates in college. He used to purchased x amount of tickets and we would go to most of the games.

Some games played at Hartford, some in the old New Haven Coliseum. I'm not going to go on a big rant and hijack the thread, but the dream season was my last year of having season tickets. Marriage, kids and almost every game televised. From where this program was to where it has evolved into is an amazing transformation. When we and yes I say we because being a UConn fan is a family, beat DUKE I can say I had tears in my eyes.

To say that we have 4 titles is truly a feat. To fully appreciate in my humble opinion, where UConn is today from where it came is a borderline fairy tale. The bashing, and negative comments at times are warranted but win or loose this is our team...we have no others. No pro teams. I may misremember things, dates times being 55 with 5 kids wears on ya, but I never waiver on the Huskies.

UConn will be back, I'm certain of that because we work harder and have a burning desire to succeed. For those of you that read this thanks, I will keep reading.....so keep posting, if this needs to be moved so be it
Welcome!

I'm in your same age range, and only started posting here over the last year, so I can relate. I didn't attend UConn or go to any games growing up. But in the 70's I fell asleep with my transistor radio under the pillow listening to the games, Tony Hanson, Joey Whelton, etc. In the early 90's once my career was sorted out I made it a point to attend 21 consecutive BE tournaments, 1990-2011, always wearing national flag blue.

Really hoped I'd see the team win that tournament. And they did! Then to make waves in the NCAA. And they did! Then to make a Final 4 and win it. And they did!! Amazing that they did it 4 times. I can't be impatient with them now. Perspective.

Reaction Score
I too have been a member for awhile but not posted till this week. I graduated in 1980, my dad in 54 and my late husband in 78. Those who started following Uconn after we started becoming successful don't seem to appreciate where we were and how we got to a National program that can boast 4 National Championships. I have had season tickets since 1982 for Hartford, field house and Gampel. I remember having to listen to games on the radio as I did for the Great Alaskan Shootout many years ago.
I follow some of the threads and am saddened and appalled at the negativity and anger I read.
Being a fan should mean sticking with your team good or bad. We are experiencing a rough spot. Any transition in life whether it be loss or change can be rocky but instead of bashing coaches, players and each other we should be as supportive and encouraging as we can esp. during rough spots.
If I had a son thinking about playing at Uconn and read some of the vile things on this site I would advise him to steer clear. No young man deserves the ridicule and hateful things I read on this site.

Reaction Score
Welcome Hoop Capital, excellent first post thank you. I have many of the same memories so it would seem we enjoyed some of earlier "success" of UConn basketball with Al W, Tony H and Joey W, good fun back in those days and tremendous entertainment. We've been blessed with what JC brought us and most recently 3 years ago KO too. I agree we will be back, tough times but hard work will prevail.

Hope we see more from HC

Reaction Score
When I was a child I used to watch with my father and those were the players. Joey Whelton, Al Weston, Tony Hanson. I don't really remember the bigger guys so well because I wanted to be a scoring guard like Gail Goodrich, Jerry West, Frazier and Monroe, Havlichek. Anyway, I've been watching on my own now since 1989 and this is my team. 30 years. Bleed Blue !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom