New post game thread series - Play of the Game-Marquette | The Boneyard

New post game thread series - Play of the Game-Marquette

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We’ve got recurring score prediction threads, Badass threads, and post game threads. I thought I’d introduce a new one - play of the game threads. What’s your pick for Marquette?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cant choose so I will list

1)Paige's clean strip of a driving Marquette player in the open court and Paige finishing through contact with her left hand on a hesitation layup

2) Of course, Paige's Mayaesque dipsy doo.

3) I liked her midrange shot off a double screen curling into the foul line area to end the half and discourage Marquette before half time

4) Paiges' Euro-step through heavy contact

5) Paige's rapid collection of 3's from all 3 zones of the 3 pt line Left, right and center

6) Saylors quick lever 3 from a great Nika feed looking to get our HS/Frosh her first bucket

7) Along with the above mentioned Aliyah block and layup on the other end. Aliyah taking a full head on collision and losing a 'pint' Kia Nurse must be smiling since she retweeted.

Reaction Score
Easily the Edwards block and finish at the other end. I jumped out of my seat for that one, might have pulled a muscle too.

Yes, I agree - the PoG!! ??

It generated tremendous excitement in that moment for that AMAZING basketball play and the skills of AE, as well as validation of all of our hopes and dreams for our players and our team. What a future - lots of joy created for what we can expect going forward!!!! It reminded me of MJ (Moriah) and BS jaw dropping plays. :):)

If only we could be watching live!

Reaction Score
Bueckers makes so many great plays that it's hard to pick one out.

The block and breakaway layup by Edwards was really special.

I'm 72 and if I had a team like this to coach, and had a class like next season's coming in, I'd feel 35 again.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For me it was Aaliyah’s block and score with an and 1. I was in the chat room when she made that play and I commented RIGHT THEN that it was (to that point) the play of the game. Looking back, it still is because it took more athleticism, effort and hustle to pull off than Paige’s play, which in my humble opinion is the runner up here.

Both plays were great and exciting, but Aaliyah gets the nod and the tip o the turban. You’ll see another UConn player make an “up and under”, or as Gary Apple called it, a “dipsy-do” before you'll see another player go up on a shooter behind the arc, getting ready to launch one, get a clean block, recover the ball and take it down to the other end of the court (running full speed) with an opposing player in hot pursuit, and hit the lay up.

Aaliyah’s play was the POG, and a testament to the urgency level of her game to make plays like that and her will to win. ;) This was another example of the "toughness" that Christyn and other players told us about this past summer. A lot of players simply don't have THAT type of motor that allows them to make those types of plays. It took her a split second to see the player getting ready to put up an uncontested 3, and make the decision to challenger her. 18 hours later, we're still commenting on it. I loved it!! And I bet she'll be wearing a mouth guard from now on too. Gabby Williams was the last UConn player that I can remember that ALWAYS wore one. :D

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
FYI, Paige’s reverse layup where she shifts the ball from her left hand to her right hand in mid-air was #6 this morning on ESPN’s top plays.

Only # 6? :confused:
Was Aaliyah’s play in the top 10?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sadly, no. :(

I suspect ESPN knows that promoting Paige is good business.
I’ll bet that play impressed the he%* out of Geno, the coaches and her teammates. :) That was a hustle play. Paige does that move everyday in practice.....yawn. I’ll bet you’ll see Paige do it again before you see a teammate do what Aaliyah did. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Easily the Edwards block and finish at the other end. I jumped out of my seat for that one, might have pulled a muscle too.
That was an outstanding play. I’m torn between this and Paige’s reverse layup

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We’ve got recurring score prediction threads, Badass threads, and post game threads. I thought I’d introduce a new one - play of the game threads. What’s your pick for Marquette?
Edwards in a deep post position recognizing a player was about to become open on the 3 point line. Starts running before said player runs to position herself at the 3 point line. She gets the ball turns and ... oops! ... there is Edwards blocking the shot and taking it the distance for the score and one. For me Edwards' really early recognition of the three point threat was sooooo impressive. I actually cheered for her as though I was at the game in person. See the 4:25 mark and step through manually (start pause quickly) to see where Edwards started and where her opponent was at that exact moment. For a senior this would have been impressive but for a freshman I have no words.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, it Aaliyah's block and C2C layup. Paige's reverse layup was amazing, though. Due to her 'fame', anything Paige does will get more recognition, I suppose. This will also make her a no-brainer for multiple AA's and other awards. FORTUNATELY, she has the goods to back up the hype.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah, it Aaliyah's block and C2C layup. Paige's reverse layup was amazing, though. Due to her 'fame', anything Paige does will get more recognition, I suppose. This will also make her a no-brainer for multiple AA's and other awards. FORTUNATELY, she has the goods to back up the hype.
Paige made SNY announcer Alan Bestwick remove his glasses and clean them because he couldn't believe what he had just seen, remarking: "you're kidding me". :eek:

Reaction Score
Edwards in a deep post position recognizing a player was about to become open on the 3 point line. Starts running before said player runs to position herself at the 3 point line. She gets the ball turns and ... oops! ... there is Edwards blocking the shot and taking it the distance for the score and one. For me Edwards' really early recognition of the three point threat was sooooo impressive. I actually cheered for her as though I was at the game in person. See the 4:25 mark and step through manually (start pause quickly) to see where Edwards started and where her opponent was at that exact moment. For a senior this would have been impressive but for a freshman I have no words.

If this highlight package doesn't give SC religion, nothing will. A complete team effort with a rapidly improving Nika Muhl. I admit to being Muhl-headed about this young lady, but I am a total convert now. Nika reminds me of Kia Nurse, so long as Muhl is dropping in 3s.
We're supposed to be picking a play, but I watch this highlight film and think: there goes an entire team of fine players contributing each in her own way. I'd be surprised if Nika doesn't become a starter (and I can't believe I'm writing this).

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
FYI, Paige’s reverse layup where she shifts the ball from her left hand to her right hand in mid-air was #6 this morning on ESPN’s top plays.

Only # 6? :confused:
I enjoyed AE block and shot, however the shot you picked was poetry in motion, it is the most Jordon-esque move in WCBB I have seen. I also throw in Saylors first basket, just because I can and the pressure is now off of her.

Reaction Score
Incredibly tough call to make but I'll go outside the 94 X 50. Somewhere I think 3rd quarterish, when Marquette took a time out, and Paige cuffed her hand behind AE's neck to give her one of those 'we're in this together' sort of feelings, that sense of pride, team and comradery that may have been missing the past several years. It'll be an interesting ride these next few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom