New Orleans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Orleans

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some cool stuff in this thread. Sorry I missed it earlier. I was there in September with my wife, as her class at Loyola had a reunion. It was fun to be there with locals, including a cocktail party in a nice Uptown neighborhood. I think we all went to Cooter Brown's after the cocktail party. Great food and good beer list. Then Bruno's Tavern. Wasn't a fan.

It's funny how tastes on Frenchman vary. My favorite is d.b.a. and I think the Apple Barrel is a must visit. The outdoor art sale is fun.

There is an uptown restaurant we love, Jacque's-Imos. Great food, fun environment. Probably technically the Carrollton neighborhood.

If you are a beer drinker, the Avenue Pub is superb. St. Charles and Polymnia. We stayed at the Henry Howard Hotel near there previously and loved it. Easy walk to St. Charles to grab a streetcar, or to Magazine, plus you can just walk around the Garden District.

WWII Museum is amazing.

Reaction Score
Havent been in quite some time. Is Charmaine Neville still a weekly regular at Snug Harbor? And does Tipitinas pull in any good acts? Or has it’s time passed?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Some cool stuff in this thread. Sorry I missed it earlier. I was there in September with my wife, as her class at Loyola had a reunion. It was fun to be there with locals, including a cocktail party in a nice Uptown neighborhood. I think we all went to Cooter Brown's after the cocktail party. Great food and good beer list. Then Bruno's Tavern. Wasn't a fan.

It's funny how tastes on Frenchman vary. My favorite is d.b.a. and I think the Apple Barrel is a must visit. The outdoor art sale is fun.

There is an uptown restaurant we love, Jacque's-Imos. Great food, fun environment. Probably technically the Carrollton neighborhood.

If you are a beer drinker, the Avenue Pub is superb. St. Charles and Polymnia. We stayed at the Henry Howard Hotel near there previously and loved it. Easy walk to St. Charles to grab a streetcar, or to Magazine, plus you can just walk around the Garden District.

WWII Museum is amazing.

The Frenchmen experience these days varies wildly depending on which night and what time you visit. Agree on dba and Apple Barrel, but the best bet is often to just walk up and down and follow your ears. If you haven't tried Adolofo's above the Apple Barrel for dinner you should. No reservations and cash only. You can wait for a table in the Apple Barrel and they will come get you. Get the Ocean Sauce with whatever fish is freshest; and the grilled meat special (especially if it's the double-cut pork chop).

Jacques-Imo's has become very inconsistent over the years, to the point where we won't even go there any more because there are so many better and more consistent choices. Brigtsen's, one of our favorites in the city, is only a couple blocks away.

Agree on Avenue Pub; great selection and great joint.

Havent been in quite some time. Is Charmaine Neville still a weekly regular at Snug Harbor? And does Tipitinas pull in any good acts? Or has it’s time passed?

Yes, Charmaine still has a regular Monday night gig at Snug Harbor. The band Galactic bought Tip's last year and it is still pulling the same good quality shows.

Reaction Score
TYes, Charmaine still has a regular Monday night gig at Snug Harbor. The band Galactic bought Tip's last year and it is still pulling the same good quality shows.

This morning on NPR Scott Simon has an interview with Galactic which gets into their acquisition of Tip's.

Reaction Score
The Frenchmen experience these days varies wildly depending on which night and what time you visit. Agree on dba and Apple Barrel, but the best bet is often to just walk up and down and follow your ears. If you haven't tried Adolofo's above the Apple Barrel for dinner you should. No reservations and cash only. You can wait for a table in the Apple Barrel and they will come get you. Get the Ocean Sauce with whatever fish is freshest; and the grilled meat special (especially if it's the double-cut pork chop).

Jacques-Imo's has become very inconsistent over the years, to the point where we won't even go there any more because there are so many better and more consistent choices. Brigtsen's, one of our favorites in the city, is only a couple blocks away.

Agree on Avenue Pub; great selection and great joint.

Yes, Charmaine still has a regular Monday night gig at Snug Harbor. The band Galactic bought Tip's last year and it is still pulling the same good quality shows.
Going to NO 3 weeks from now for 5 days. Only visited once before, for eating can't remember all the places I went to but I did go to Adolfo's and had a good meal with the ocean sauce on a stuffed piece of fish and some other goodies. Cooter Browns was mentioned, I remember day drinking there. There was a lunch place I remember liking a lot called Katies. Had a few po'boys, only place I remember the name of was Parisol's. Did a lot of drinking in the French Quarter and on Frenchman's but don't remember most of the places other than usually starting out at Erin Rose.

Any other recommendations for food? I like everything. Seafood and po'boys are right up my alley, everyone told me Drago's for the grilled oysters but didn't get to try it.

Also definitely want to do some sort of swamp tour, any recommendations? Better to do a fan boat or a more leisurely cruise? Any great music spots? Off the beaten path stuff or neighborhoods I should check out? Feel like most of the walking I did was the whole Bourbon French quarter area and lower garden district.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Going to NO 3 weeks from now for 5 days. Only visited once before, for eating can't remember all the places I went to but I did go to Adolfo's and had a good meal with the ocean sauce on a stuffed piece of fish and some other goodies. Cooter Browns was mentioned, I remember day drinking there. There was a lunch place I remember liking a lot called Katies. Had a few po'boys, only place I remember the name of was Parisol's. Did a lot of drinking in the French Quarter and on Frenchman's but don't remember most of the places other than usually starting out at Erin Rose.

Any other recommendations for food? I like everything. Seafood and po'boys are right up my alley, everyone told me Drago's for the grilled oysters but didn't get to try it.

Also definitely want to do some sort of swamp tour, any recommendations? Better to do a fan boat or a more leisurely cruise? Any great music spots? Off the beaten path stuff or neighborhoods I should check out? Feel like most of the walking I did was the whole Bourbon French quarter area and lower garden district.
I am out of town for work until the beginning of next week but I will shoot you a PM with a bunch of recs that I have collected over the years to answer all of that and more. If I forget please remind me. As for swamp tour, I highly recommend Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour. Fan boat is more of a thrill ride than a swamp tour.

Reaction Score
I am out of town for work until the beginning of next week but I will shoot you a PM with a bunch of recs that I have collected over the years to answer all of that and more. If I forget please remind me. As for swamp tour, I highly recommend Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour. Fan boat is more of a thrill ride than a swamp tour.
Thanks!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks!
Hey @superjohn I just tried to send you a PM with the recs but it says that I can't start a conversation with you for some reason. Either see if you can shoot me a PM with your email or post one here and I will send it to you.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Thank you for this. We're in our 60s, staying at the Wyndham French Quarter, My wife uses a mobility scooter. Fairly tight budget, and we are not very adventuresome when it come to food. I am thinking maybe taking her over to Frenchmen St. for some music after the game and a gray line (or equivalent tour the day after the game. Thoughts?

Just stayed at the Wyndham last year. There is s decent restaurant across the street, Mr B's. Not cheap but not super expensive.

For music I can recommend the 21st Amendment club. It's classier than what you'd find on bourbon st. Drinks run about $12 and there are enough seats if you get there early.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just stayed at the Wyndham last year. There is s decent restaurant across the street, Mr B's.
Mr. B’s is great. Part of the Brennan empire. Always solid. BBQ shrimp, pork belly appetizer and hickory smoked fish entree are among the must-haves there. And Mr. B’s coffee to finish.

Reaction Score
Hey @superjohn I just tried to send you a PM with the recs but it says that I can't start a conversation with you for some reason. Either see if you can shoot me a PM with your email or post one here and I will send it to you.
I'm unable to send you a PM as well and don't want to put my email on here. Oh well. @Fishy

Reaction Score
We're partial to Acme Oyster House. Stayed last time at French Quarter Suites, right at the edge of the Quarter on Rampart. Don't know where else you can gtet a two bedroom suite for $149. People were nice, breakfast was carb-loading and the neighborhood, while not Central Park West, was just fine, even if parts lo0ok a little sketchy. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
Did a whacky, very nice New Orleans walking music tour, the high point of which is a laundromat that used to be a recording studio. We walked maybe a mile and a half from Frenchmens into the Quarter, 2 1/2 hours of nonstop information from the guide. Interested? Look up Keith Abel Tours. Great way to spend a little time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did a whacky, very nice New Orleans walking music tour, the high point of which is a laundromat that used to be a recording studio.

Cosimo Matassa's legendary J&M Recording Studio. Fats Domino, Little Richard, Professor Longhair, Bobby Charles and many others cut their first hits there.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Trust me guys, listen to everything @8893 says on this. I had my own NOLA trip as a rookie, and his recomendations for everything, especially brigtsen's - the place was tremendous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Trust me guys, listen to everything @8893 says on this. I had my own NOLA trip as a rookie, and his recomendations for everything, especially brigtsen's - the place was tremendous.
Glad it helped! And yeah, I love Brigsten's.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Mr. B’s is great. Part of the Brennan empire. Always solid. BBQ shrimp, pork belly appetizer and hickory smoked fish entree are among the must-haves there. And Mr. B’s coffee to finish.

many a late weekday lunches @ Mr's B's with $1.50 martini's (or bloody's)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
many a late weekday lunches @ Mr's B's with $1.50 martini's (or bloody's)
Only thing better is the lunch and .10 cent martinis at Commander’s Palace (also part of the Brennan empire).

Reaction Score
Cosimo Matassa's legendary J&M Recording Studio. Fats Domino, Little Richard, Professor Longhair, Bobby Charles and many others cut their first hits there.
That's the place. Loved it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New Orleans is the best, got robbed last night.
Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear it was only robbed and not hurt or killed. Were you in a less-busy part of the French Quarter? That’s frequently where it happens.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear it was only robbed and not hurt or killed. Were you in a less-busy part of the French Quarter? That’s frequently where it happens.
Exactly. Bad night. Myself and a friend got pickpocketed on a street off of Bourbon. They got my money and my friend got all his money and cards stolen. Listening to Kermit Ruffins now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Exactly. Bad night. Myself and a friend got pickpocketed on a street off of Bourbon. They got my money and my friend got all his money and cards stolen. Listening to Kermit Ruffins now.
Love Kermit!

Yeah that is a huge bummer, but really could have ended so much worse there. Stay only on the busy parts of the busy streets within the FQ. Royal and Chartres are the ones I try to use within the Quarter; otherwise always Decatur.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom