New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn

Reaction Score
Hi guys. Auburn fan here. Any questions you want to ask?

And to the person who said AU ran a lot of 2 TE sets... Yeah no... Know how many receptions TEs have had the last 2 years? 1. Sure sometimes we run 2 TEs, however the OFF chance we have... The 2nd was another OL. Last season it was Robert Leff who was our starting RT this season...

Anyway, I've always been a BIG UCONN basketball fan....since I was a teenager in the 90s. I was surprised to see the move, but not blown away like some our our fanbase... Since you know... The AD...

Also, whoever posted a link to the rant, that is kinda the no holes barred forum. The scout.com one and auburn family forum are the more down to earth ones...

Anyway, I am sitting here binge watching House of Cards on an off day. Ask away if you like, or completely ignore my post. Your choice.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

And to the person who said AU ran a lot of 2 TE sets... Yeah no... Know how many receptions TEs have had the last 2 years? 1. Sure sometimes we run 2 TEs, however the OFF chance we have... The 2nd was another OL. Last season it was Robert Leff who was our starting RT this season...

Anyway, I've always been a BIG UCONN basketball fan....since I was a teenager in the 90s. I was surprised to see the move, but not blown away like some our our fanbase... Since you know... The AD...

Also, whoever posted a link to the rant, that is kinda the no holes barred forum. The scout.com one and auburn family forum are the more down to earth ones...

Anyway, I am sitting here binge watching House of Cards on an off day. Ask away if you like, or completely ignore my post. Your choice.

Which locales would you say Lashlee is strongest in as a recruiter?

Reaction Score

Do you have a sense for how philosophy-driven vs player-driven Laslee's offensive schemes are likely to be? Do you think he's more likely to recruit and coach players to succeed under a particular approach, or look for playmakers and design schemes to suit their talents? (And yes, I know any good coach does a bit of both!)

Reaction Score
Which locales would you say Lashlee is strongest in as a recruiter?

Lashlee has been an excellent recruiter. He was essential in us signing 5* Jared Stidham (and no to whoever asked. Lashlee coming does not help you with him. He has already signed and started taking classes.) However, most of us now question if we will hold on to former 5* (now 4*) QB Joey Gatewood. He has signed QB talent in the past. And I would say that's his strongest area, but he did offer JF3 (of Last ChanceU) who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They chose JF3 over the Evans kid at VA Tech. So who really knows...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lashlee has been an excellent recruiter. He was essential in us signing 5* Jared Stidham (and no to whoever asked. Lashlee coming does not help you with him. He has already signed and started taking classes.) However, most of us now question if we will hold on to former 5* (now 4*) QB Joey Gatewood. He has signed QB talent in the past. And I would say that's his strongest area, but he did offer JF3 (of Last ChanceU) who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They chose JF3 over the Evans kid at VA Tech. So who really knows...

First, thanks for posting here. Second, that Stidham kid looks incredible. Seems like an arm and legs destine for a long career on Sunday football. He's on my radar for the NY Giants.

Reaction Score
Do you have a sense for how philosophy-driven vs player-driven Laslee's offensive schemes are likely to be? Do you think he's more likely to recruit and coach players to succeed under a particular approach, or look for playmakers and design schemes to suit their talents? (And yes, I know any good coach does a bit of both!)

This is a hot debate among AU fans. It is honestly impossible to answer this with any validity, because we (some) just don't know if it was Gus or Rhett.

However as for my personal opinion... Lashlee has known one offense his entire career. It's the Gus HUNH. Get used to that term. Get used to hurrying to the line and quick snap after a 1st. As far as designing schemes... Well... We haven't been so hot at adjusting... When it's working, we dominate and score close to 40 a game. When it doesn't we score 10. Again, we don't know if it was Gus or Rhett... Let's just hope he can come up with some sort of passing game. Running game he has in check. Passing game... Well that's just another story

Reaction Score
First, thanks for posting here. Second, that Stidham kid looks incredible. Seems like an arm and legs destine for a long career on Sunday football. He's on my radar for the NY Giants.

Most welcome. And yeah we hope he will turn out. I'm not so sure how JS feels about this move... He said Rhett, and being coached by Rhett had great influence on him signing with us. Rhett is a great man. A real class act. Auburn University lost a top notch man in this move...

Reaction Score
Most welcome. And yeah we hope he will turn out. I'm not so sure how JS feels about this move... He said Rhett, and being coached by Rhett had great influence on him signing with us. Rhett is a great man. A real class act. Auburn University lost a top notch man in this move...

Does Auburn have any potential grad transfers this year whom Rett might try to bring to Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Does Auburn have any potential grad transfers this year whom Rett might try to bring to Connecticut?

JF3, lol... But seriously, dude has track speed. Legit 4.4/4.3 guy. Possibly WR Jason Smith who fell out of the rotation due to the absolute STUDS we brought in last season. Next season, possibly our starter from this year. Former Elite 11 winner, Sean White. But who knows if he will leave. He could stick around, but I don't see a former elite 11 winner knowingly sticking around to ride the bench behind our new 5* JUCO transfer (who has 3 to play 3.)

Reaction Score
Hard to call JS a JUCO really, as he transferred from Baylor in wake of the Briles scandal, and transferred to some JUCO that didn't even have a football team... But i digress

Reaction Score

Also, when healthy Sean White is a GAMER. Some (myself included) question his ability to stay healthy in the SEC... But I before he was hurt this year he led the SEC in many categories. Doest really have an accurate deep ball, but pinpoint on short and intermediate passes. I think he would without question be all conference if he followed Lashlee to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Also, when healthy Sean White is a GAMER. Some (myself included) question his ability to stay healthy in the SEC... But I before he was hurt this year he led the SEC in many categories. Doest really have an accurate deep ball, but pinpoint on short and intermediate passes. I think he would without question be all conference if he followed Lashlee to UCONN.

So is White o.k. Coming to Auburn and competing for a job? Or were there rumors about him moving after graduation anyway (and if so to whom)?

Thank you for your time on this. Our prior idiot coach ran off the starting QB, with a year of eligibility left, for no apparent reason with no apparent replacement in site, so obtaining a QB immediately would be an amazing gift for us.

Reaction Score
So is White o.k. Coming to Auburn and competing for a job? Or were there rumors about him moving after graduation anyway (and if so to whom)?

Thank you for your time on this. Our prior idiot coach ran off the starting QB, with a year of eligibility left, for no apparent reason with no apparent replacement in site, so obtaining a QB immediately would be an amazing gift for us.

White is next season. The possibility this season is JF3. Former FSU QB, and "star" of Netflix Last Chance U. He is not open to a position change, and will never be more than QB2 or QB3, heck maybe even QB4 next season. So everyone fully expects JF3 to be a grad transfer. And Lashlee is the one who WANTED JF3 (John Franklin III.) Lashlee chose JF3 over Jerod Evans who played for VA Tech last season, going pro in this draft. JF3 has true track speed.

White is will be a Jr next season, but I expect he will ride the pine behind Jarrett Stidham. So it's not certain he transfer. It's actually not sure anyone will transfer, however I would be shocked to see JF3 in orange and blue next season.

And you are most welcome

Reaction Score
White is next season. The possibility this season is JF3. Former FSU QB, and "star" of Netflix Last Chance U. He is not open to a position change, and will never be more than QB2 or QB3, heck maybe even QB4 next season. So everyone fully expects JF3 to be a grad transfer. And Lashlee is the one who WANTED JF3 (John Franklin III.) Lashlee chose JF3 over Jerod Evans who played for VA Tech last season, going pro in this draft. JF3 has true track speed.

White is will be a Jr next season, but I expect he will ride the pine behind Jarrett Stidham. So it's not certain he transfer. It's actually not sure anyone will transfer, however I would be shocked to see JF3 in orange and blue next season.

And you are most welcome

Never heard of Last Chance U before today but trust me -- at the moment, I'm not sure the #4 QB at Auburn doesn't get handed the starting job at UConn on day one. We will see. It would certainly excite folks here if a famous and dynamically fast QB comes in to run the offense, even if he can't throw the ball well enough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Never heard of Last Chance U before today but trust me -- at the moment, I'm not sure the #4 QB at Auburn doesn't get handed the starting job at UConn on day one. We will see. It would certainly excite folks here if a famous and dynamically fast QB comes in to run the offense, even if he can't throw the ball well enough.

Last chance U is a great show. I highly recommend it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I dont have the answer if we want JFIII. Here are his community college highlights. Each play is shown in twice from two angles. I hate how he carelessly holds the ball while running away from his body. Otherwise, it seems like is field vision is decent and in some plays he is very nifty at avoiding blitzes and running for big gains. He's got wheels, more than any QB we have ever had.

John Franklin III Soph Highlights - John Franklin III highlights - Hudl

Reaction Score
I dont have the answer if we want JFIII. Here are his community college highlights. Each play is shown in twice from two angles. I hate how he carelessly holds the ball while running away from his body. Otherwise, it seems like is field vision is decent and in some plays he is very nifty at avoiding blitzes and running for big gains. He's got wheels, more than any QB we have ever had.

John Franklin III Soph Highlights - John Franklin III highlights - Hudl

If you want to see him in action for Auburn:

Game 1 - Clemson - Auburn plays 3 QBs this game. No joke. 3. Against the team that had lost the championship last year, and won it this year... We almost won. JF3 didn't do too much

Game 9 - Vandy- JF3 makes a surprise start for injured Sean White. Plays 1st half before replaced by White

Game 12 - Alabama - JF3 provides us with our longest pass play of the season.

Game 13 - Oklahoma (Sugar Bowl) JF3 played some in the 2nd half

He didn't get many opportunities here this past season. Hence the reason most of us expect he will transfer as a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
Called it a month ago on OC update thread
RHETT LASHLEE Auburn OC, turn around the dumpster fire, and he can be the head coach in 2018

Dec 15, 2016Report
+ QuoteReply

Next season is 2017. You think Edsall is going to be ready to hang it up the following year? Seems unlikely. That said, good job by your AD of leveraging his contacts to bring a name coordinator to Uconn. He likely had the scoop on a mutual parting of ways coming between Lashlee and Malzan, and was able to position Uconn to be right there if/when it happened. Lashlee now gets to be his own man outside of his mentor's shadow, and Gus can chase the big name coordinator the AU Fanbase will demand if he desires to extend his tenure on the plains. Good Job A.D.D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom