New OC Frank Verducci | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WOW.

If we're playing a true freshman walk-on "athlete" at QB at any point in time next season we should shut the program down. We have 3 scholarship QBs and a preferred walk on QB to play before we would even get to this guy.

I am with you, I trust that we have enough skill ahead of a freshman walk on. If we are going to run as much as everyone is predicting, having a speedy QB gives defenses something to plan for. We need QB's and perhaps they will give Dario consideration as a 4th. With injuries, you never know. We know he can run. He didn't pass for much at Middletown and I think they converted him back to running back. In a read based offense an athlete like Highsmith can perform a similar role as Dishon Fox.

Reaction Score
I'm happy we have a bunch of experienced guys that can teach and prepare. But if none of them can coordinate and implement a gameplan on gameday it's a rudderless ship. Hopefully he can ease those concerns at a press conference or at least during Spring Ball. I agree with those taking a wait and see on this one. It's another comfortable relationship oriented hire by HCBD and there are good signs and unanswered questions.

Reaction Score
Sounds more like bringing in someone Diaco trusts and approach will be less a OC coming in with his brand of offense but rather more of coaching by committee to run the type of offense Diaco wants. Although in perfect world would love to see an some up and coming offensive genius come on board, however with the long term relationships among coaches on staff think it would be tough for someone would little or no ties to them to come in and do what they please, therefore bringing a known guy to staff and Diaco is the right call.

Bottom line all that matters is getting the right plays and personnel in a timely basis with the players executing them and not turning the ball over. Not looking for Oregon here, just being average next year will be a big improvement as expect defense will be decent.

Reaction Score
We have 3 scholarship QBs and a preferred walk on QB to play before we would even get to this guy.

I count 2 scholly QBs a walk on from last year(if he's still here) before we get to a true frosh scholly QB and a true frosh Walk on... we need to poach one from USC after their spring game.. they have 11 QBs on their squad... somebody's bound to bolt from that program....

Reaction Score
can't deny the experience this guy has.. from all levels... NFL, FCS, FBS...

just checked out his bio... tons of OL experience... I don't see our coaching staff on offense staying settled even next year... just looks like a jigsaw puzzle a little... Is it just me?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
can anybody precisely answer why, with this kind of resume, he was at No. Iowa?

"Verducci has been a resident of Iowa City, Iowa, for 24 years." Looks like it provided a close-to-home-in-between-jobs opportunity. Might have been tired of living away from home. It could be that what seemed like an inordinate amount of "search" time was spent convincing Verducci to move.

Reaction Score
can anybody precisely answer why, with this kind of resume, he was at No. Iowa?

It certainly couldn't have been for the pay. He got hired in April of 2014. His reported pay at Northern Iowa for that year was $7,615. I am hoping this is a Typo!

Database: State of Iowa employee salaries
EMPLOYEE DEPARTMENT POSITION COUNTY SEX JULY SALARY TRAVEL, ETC FY SALARY FY
VERDUCCI FRANK J University of Northern Iowa Program Assistant JOHNSON M $0.00 $0.00 $7,615.38 2014
JACOBSON BENJAMIN S University of Northern Iowa Head Coach BLACK HAWK M $550,000.00 $12,534.11 $542,181.06 2014

Reaction Score
I'm not big on following coaching moves, but it looks like this guy has bounced around to a ton of places in the past couple of years. Notre Dame, Florida, NFL all look good, but do coordinators really move around this much?

Reaction Score
Obviously wish him great success.

The following is known as a fruit basket dance. Once you move the pear, you have to move the apple, then the banana.

With Verducci coming there has been a shift among the staff, too. Wayne Lineburg, who coached receivers and special teams last year will coach the quarterbacks. Don Patterson who coached quarterbacks will move tight ends and David Corley who coached running backs will move to receivers and special teams coordinator.

Please, I'm just noting the dance, it's not a positive or negative comment. I know some of the Boneyard can read into things.

I never really understood this aspect of college football coaching. Can someone please explain? It seems that coaches are assigned to coach a particular position with no attention paid to whether that person had any playing, or coaching, experience in that position. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like my QB coach to have actually played that position, or coached it for many, many years. How can a defensive back coach, or wide receiver coach, teach the finer aspects of those positions without playing them? I don't get it, seems like college position coaches have no need to demonstrate any prior working knowledge of the position they coach...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Interesting his history is slanted towards running the ball.

Good.

Reaction Score
I count 2 scholly QBs a walk on from last year(if he's still here) before we get to a true frosh scholly QB and a true frosh Walk on... we need to poach one from USC after their spring game.. they have 11 QBs on their squad... somebody's bound to bolt from that program....
I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not.

I said we have three scholarship QBs. Boyle, Shirrefs, and Davis.

Then the walk on Freshman QB. Maybe there's another one. Regardless, If we're playing a walk on true freshman (who isn't even a true QB) at QB, we are screwed.

(And we aren't poaching QBs from USC).

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall played QB at Syracuse, a lot of good that did him as he was a better defensive/secondary coach than QB coach.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sounds more like bringing in someone Diaco trusts and approach will be less a OC coming in with his brand of offense but rather more of coaching by committee to run the type of offense Diaco wants. Although in perfect world would love to see an some up and coming offensive genius come on board, however with the long term relationships among coaches on staff think it would be tough for someone would little or no ties to them to come in and do what they please, therefore bringing a known guy to staff and Diaco is the right call.
I agree with this in that it's clear Diaco knows the type of offense he wants to run and if an OC wasn't going to go with that then they weren't going to be hired. Reminds me of when RE brought in Joe Moorhead to be OC and we all thought the offense would be opened up. Instead, the offense remained run first. Many of us would love to see us open things up and start flinging the ball around. However, Diaco doesn't wanna do that. To me it's gonna lead to boring football but if we're winning then who cares! It'll be interesting to see how this might attract the casual fan. Winning cures all but if the team is 6-6 or 5-7 and running a run first offense, wonder if it will raise interest.

Reaction Score
Am I reading a discussion of playing a walk on true freshman RB at the QB position in 2015 as though that's a plausible scenario?

I need to rinse my eyes out with Clorox.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm scratching my head. This guy is 57-58 and is essentially a career position coach. He's been just about everywhere and over the last 10 years has not stuck around more than a year or two at any one spot.

I really want to be positive, but on the surface this is...........my head itches.

Reaction Score
Stanford. Notre Dame.

That's what is in Diaco's mind. And, if we had Kevin Hogan at QB, we probably would throw a good amount. We are going to RUN the ball with the QB - I think. Not sure how Boyle plays into that. But, the corresponding play, we are going to try to be far better at Defense. (whatever that will be) The AAC, far more than OUR BE peers, will be throwing the ball all over; particularly the Texas/Tulsa wing.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm scratching my head. This guy is 57-58 and is essentially a career position coach. He's been just about everywhere and over the last 10 years has not stuck around more than a year or two at any one spot.

I really want to be positive, but on the surface this is......my head itches.

Well ... you really have to define RUN GAME COORDINATOR, which he has been in several instances. We have not seen that position here nor have I understood what distinguishes an offense that has both Pass Game & Run Game Coordinators. Seems like we are bringing in the RUN guy & Lineberg is now the key guy for throwing the ball. IMO ... it comes down to the QB; that has been the question that elevates us since Danny O left. If serviceable, we can have a solid Defense and win some. If we ever get a superior QB, we would be better. No doubt.

Reaction Score
He is not a Deleone who came in to door with old worn out files from his OC days and dusted off the parchment paper and tried to make it work. Best case is that we have a smart, experienced coach who has had to adapt to multiple situations and can use his background to mold a UConn offense based on available skills.

I too was hopeful of a guy with an established successful scheme that could be immediately implemented. Don't think we have that. Hope for best case.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It sounds like he will be on page with HCBD and how he wants to control the game by running the ball with play action passing with some deep passing thrown in there

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am with you, I trust that we have enough skill ahead of a freshman walk on. If we are going to run as much as everyone is predicting, having a speedy QB gives defenses something to plan for. We need QB's and perhaps they will give Dario consideration as a 4th. With injuries, you never know. We know he can run. He didn't pass for much at Middletown and I think they converted him back to running back. In a read based offense an athlete like Highsmith can perform a similar role as Dishon Fox.

You are correct as he stated on channel 8 that he is coming in as a running back, slot receiver, and special teams returner. He was quarterback to keep the ball in his hands and make things happen. He did throw for about 800 yards but that is not his forte.

Reaction Score
Am I reading a discussion of playing a walk on true freshman RB at the QB position in 2015 as though that's a plausible scenario?

I need to rinse my eyes out with Clorox.

Stranger things happen...Try eye drops much better than Clorox!

Baker Mayfield, Texas Tech
http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/083113aaa.html

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct-- Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2013 Texas Tech Big 12 ----QB--8- 218-- 340- 64.1- 2315 6.8- 6.3---- 12-- 9--- 127.

Vin Testaverde Jr. Texas Tech
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...ound-his-way-from-florida-to-west-texas.html/

Luke Delrio Alabama
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/08/alabama_freshman_walk-on_luke.html

Zander Diamont Indiana
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...football-quarterback-zander-diamont/17322979/

Luke Falk Washington State
http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/nov/11/from-walk-on-to-starter/

BYU went through 6 Quarterbacks last year - remember our situation with Casey going down, Kivon leaving...
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1797780-155/quarterback-byu-hill-2012-sign-state

There are more examples, I hope you get the point that Dario Highsmith as a dual threat read option quarterback, walk on
could be another tool in the box for UCONN next year. I realise he is not from TX but he was the CT Gator Aide player of the year.

SPEED KILLS!
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1520402/dario-highsmith-jr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members