New OC Frank Verducci | Page 9 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I was really just making a joke that it was unclear about who was calling plays last year. When the question was asked the answer was bizarre.

Playcalling is the most overrated thing in the sport to me.
Not meaning this as a wise arse comment but, I'd argue that play calling made a wee bit of difference to the Seahawks two Sundays ago. I know, that's the NFL, but I think it can apply to the college game, too. When the play calling is bad and the margin for error is small, it's probably going to be a game killer. And no, I'm not a Seahwks fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Damnit I just made this same joke in Medic's thread.

Yeah you were like fourth.

I know the comments are only half serious - but I'm talking about in aggregage relative to the amount of time people spend complaining about it.

The Super Bowl or UConn/Vandy to me is more about decision making and understanding risk-reward than it is about 'play calling'.

Reaction Score
Yeah you were like fourth.

I know the comments are only half serious - but I'm talking about in aggregage relative to the amount of time people spend complaining about it.

The Super Bowl or UConn/Vandy to me is more about decision making and understanding risk-reward than it is about 'play calling'.

I will disagree with you on your point earlier about Oregon. They don't score 50 a game playing out of the power I. They score 50 because first and foremost they have athletes and right behind that is the system (which includes play calling).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will disagree with you on your point earlier about Oregon. They don't score 50 a game playing out of the power I. They score 50 because first and foremost they have athletes and right behind that is the system (which includes play calling).

I don't include play calling in scheme. Yeah if you call the design and pace of their offense 'play calling' then it's super important.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We've got a lot of cooks in the kitchen. The buck stops with Diaco - there's no excuse this year for not running exactly the offense he envisions.

^^^ This.

For me, Diaco has had a year at the helm to get himself situated and to work out the inevitable bugs that a first year head coach is going to have. Furthermore, without having said it to the media or the fans, he has essentially said that the offensive scheme was not good enough (clearly) and has demoted his first OC after 1 year. This is now his second chance at finding the right guy with the right philosophy and understanding for this program to succeed. There is a ton of years of experience on the staff. Now, it's up to Diaco to shine...

Reaction Score
The Super Bowl is more about decision making and understanding risk-reward than it is about 'play calling'.

It's actually more about coaching and preparation.The Patriots practiced extensively on that Seattle goal line pass play. They had seen the Seahawks run it during the year. That preperation made all the difference. In the meantime, the Seahawks were unimpressed with the fact that the 2014 Patriots were the worst team in the league in stopping the run in important short-yardage situations. On rushes of fewer than two yards on third or fourth down--or from inside the two yard line on first or second down--the Pats only stopped 5 of 27 rush attempts all year. 4 of the Patriots' 5 stops came against the league's worst rushing teams. The leagues best rushing teams converted 16 of 17 short yardage chances against the Patriots' run defense and the Seahawks ranked near the top rushing the ball. Seahawks fans should be marching with torches and pitchforks. Bottom line, the Seahawks were out-coached and out-prepared.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's actually more about coaching and preparation.The Patriots practiced extensively on that Seattle goal line pass play. They had seen the Seahawks run it during the year. That preperation made all the difference. In the meantime, the Seahawks were unimpressed with the fact that the 2014 Patriots were the worst team in the league in stopping the run in important short-yardage situations. On rushes of fewer than two yards on third or fourth down--or from inside the two yard line on first or second down--the Pats only stopped 5 of 27 rush attempts all year. 4 of the Patriots' 5 stops came against the league's worst rushing teams. The leagues best rushing teams converted 16 of 17 short yardage chances against the Patriots' run defense and the Seahawks ranked near the top rushing the ball. Seahawks fans should be marching with torches and pitchforks. Bottom line, the Seahawks were out-coached and out-prepared.

Same thing different words. If you have Lynch not giving him the ball is just a bad decision. But, yes it's really impossible to unwind all that goes into coaching a team and put it into separate buckets.

Reaction Score
UCONN is at a place where the play calling matters big time. We've seen the gridlock in redzone decisions resulting in wasted timeouts or too many men on the field penalties. The indecision, over substituting, confusion, lack of pace, that leads to lost opportunities. Having someone calling the shots that sees what the opponents are trying to take away and setting them up to be abused is what Oregon does best. This isn't something that can be done by committee. You need a mad scientist at the controls that knows his stuff inside and out and knows it so well he doesn't have to think about it. It should be second nature making the calls. I don't see where we have that at this time. Maybe Coach Lineburg will be this guy for us. There is no evidence that Coach V is that guy.

Reaction Score
Article said he was moving to tailback. I meant to put a question mark. Lb would make more sense.
Everything else I have seen said LB.

This is straight from the article:

Walsh Now At LB

Junior Matt Walsh of Madison has been moved from fullback to linebacker, a position he also played at Hand High.

Reaction Score
It's in runway ramblings article but it's clearly a mistake.

Reaction Score
Brian Koonz: As UConn's new offensive coordinator, Verducci plans to accentuate the positive
http://www.greenwichtime.com/uconn/...462.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

>>"I'm more interested in moving forward," said Verducci, who confirmed he will call the plays at UConn. "I learned in professional football that it's not about who you were, or what you can be, it's about who you are right now. That's what we're trying to do right now."<<

Reaction Score
Verducci Coaching Tree Has Many Branches, But Roots In Jersey (Jacobs)
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-football-0219-20150218-column.html#page=1

>>"I like to think I have enough experience where it's all about putting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes. We're going to accentuate the talent that it available every Saturday. The system is flexible enough to do that. We can line up people in different positions and all the motion shifts to create matchups."

Reaction Score
Verducci Coaching Tree Has Many Branches, But Roots In Jersey (Jacobs)
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-football-0219-20150218-column.html#page=1

>>"I like to think I have enough experience where it's all about putting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes. We're going to accentuate the talent that it available every Saturday. The system is flexible enough to do that. We can line up people in different positions and all the motion shifts to create matchups."

This makes total sense but it sounds so...old.. I can't help but laugh.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Seems nice and has a lot of experience to draw from. Doesn't tell me a lick how our offense will be but here's to hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom