New OC Frank Verducci | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New OC Frank Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me it's wait and see, all while figuratively holding my breath. My concern is this guy will be required to script a game. Has he ever had any success or is he capable of doing that? Teaching/coordinating is one thing , calling the game totally different. If after the first half of the first game we Husky fans can "call the next play", it will be a long season again. OR, will Bobby script the game for him? Like first 4 series we run 3 downs, then 2 runs/1 pass, etc., etc.. Until I see some of what I see other successful Div. 1 teams doing on offense, I am sitting on my hands before wildly applauding this hire.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ok still not sure who was the hangee.

The idea that a walk on freshman who's only offer was from Army and was recruited as an athlete would sniff QB reps is insane.

Citing a handful of examples does nothing to dissuade that.

Reaction Score
It's clear we're going to be playing Big 10 / Wisconsin style football. Big strong offensive linemen, solid running game, execution, don't shoot yourself in the foot-style football. That is the style that works at the Rent where it seems to be cold and windy even on nice days.

Reaction Score
Any stat geeks have a clue as to how his offenses performed? Seems HCBD is really focused on OL and TE's. Not s e xy but I'll be happy with a competent guy that Coach trusts to steer the ship on offense.
not sexy but how many posts have been lamenting our OL situation?

Reaction Score
The idea that a walk on freshman who's only offer was from Army and was recruited as an athlete would sniff QB reps is insane.

Citing a handful of examples does nothing to dissuade that.

Let me help you. To begin, I never suggested he should start. We're talking about the potential of a run based offense at least for next year and no one is exactly feeling great yet about the QB situation talent wise. Last count we have 3 QBs, Boyle, Transfer Sherriff (who runs and could get hurt) and frosh Davis who runs (he too could get injured) We have an athlete be it a Preferred Walk-on in Dario Highsmith who played QB at Middletown that can run. I maintain as a fan that he is an option worth consideration. How many times did we hear on this board that it's easier for the skill guys to play as a freshman than the guys up front. Now mind you, I am not talking about complicated plays but after watching his highlight reel, the kid has wheels.
If those examples don't dissuade you, then there is nothing that will. From the films I have seen, in a limited role Dario Highsmith could be effective in a read type situation. That's what he was pegged for at Army.

Reaction Score
I get the Corley to Special Teams move but I don't get the Corley to WRs move... He coaches RBs ... To me a lot of these coaching switcharoos we're doing shows that we'll see some turnover over the next couple of years on that side of the ball...

Reaction Score
This clears up my not understanding why we have a lot of swticharooing on offensive coaching positions... At least HCBD intended it that way... from the article on the main website: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020915aab.html

"Frank brings 31 years of coaching experience on the offensive side of the ball to our UConn football program with a laundry list of personal and team accolades that are very special," said UConn head coach Bob Diaco. "Another aspect of Frank that separated him from others is his experience on coaching the offensive front. I now have great balance on my offensive staff with three experts in the passing game and two experts in how to attack a defensive front. I thought it was important to have that balance rather than adding someone who specifically knows wide receivers or quarterbacks. "
?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Stanford. Notre Dame.

That's what is in Diaco's mind. And, if we had Kevin Hogan at QB, we probably would throw a good amount. We are going to RUN the ball with the QB - I think. Not sure how Boyle plays into that. But, the corresponding play, we are going to try to be far better at Defense. (whatever that will be) The AAC, far more than OUR BE peers, will be throwing the ball all over; particularly the Texas/Tulsa wing.

So you are making the claim of knowing what's in Diaco's mind - I will remember that moving forward.

Reaction Score
So you are making the claim of knowing what's in Diaco's mind - I will remember that moving forward.
He isn't at all. He has said so and made comments using the same schools. As for running with the QB, we saw it with Whitmer and they even tried with Boyle.

Reaction Score
The NJ recruiting slant is every bit as important as his playcalling. If we can pluck a few NJ kids every year, he'll be an asset.

I was searching for some clips on Verducci and caught this youtube where Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley has some positive things to say about Frank Verducci. What he also said at the start was it's more important to have good players than good plays. He suggests that if you have the right horses you can give them the plays to win. To your point, Verducci's recruiting contacts in NJ should be a plus. He also spoke about how good he is with the tight end position and we certainly have a number of them. Hey are you sure Verducci isn't Foley in disguise? I suppose Vertucci is just an RKG!

Reaction Score
I was searching for some clips on Verducci and caught this youtube where Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley has some positive things to say about Frank Verducci. What he also said at the start was it's more important to have good players than good plays. He suggests that if you have the right horses you can give them the plays to win. To your point, Verducci's recruiting contacts in NJ should be a plus. He also spoke about how good he is with the tight end position and we certainly have a number of them. Hey are you sure Verducci isn't Foley in disguise? I suppose Vertucci is just an RKG!

Right now we don't have the offensive talent on the line to overpower opponents with predictable scripted plays. So in our case plays are important, as is tempo and getting the best out of the talent you have. To that end it's important to scheme in plays that get the right guys the ball in the right situations. We didn't do a good job of that last year so I hope the coaches are planning to adjust at least marginally.

Reaction Score
It might piss some people off but I don't care, it's a legitimate concern. The more I hear/read, the more concerned I am.

I'm trying to see the bright side (tons of football knowledge) but 31 years coaching and he's NEVER been an OC? Am I the only one who sees the red flag here?

I'm not against giving someone the job who has never been an OC or called their own plays, but I thought if we went that route it would be with someone younget and on the rise. I really hope we didn't catch this guy on the wrong side of his career trajectory.

Reaction Score
It might piss some people off but I don't care, it's a legitimate concern. The more I hear/read, the more concerned I am.

I'm trying to see the bright side (tons of football knowledge) but 31 years coaching and he's NEVER been an OC? Am I the only one who sees the red flag here?

I'm not against giving someone the job who has never been an OC or called their own plays, but I thought if we went that route it would be with someone younget and on the rise. I really hope we didn't catch this guy on the wrong side of his career trajectory.
Someone has to give him a chance. People want a guy with a proven track record etc. If he has/had a proven track record as an OC you think he would still be available to UConn? Absolutely not. He has tons of experience and has seemed to coach and excel in the areas Diaco has identified as areas where Uconn needs to excel and be great.

Reaction Score
Right now we don't have the offensive talent on the line to overpower opponents with predictable scripted plays. So in our case plays are important, as is tempo and getting the best out of the talent you have. To that end it's important to scheme in plays that get the right guys the ball in the right situations. We didn't do a good job of that last year so I hope the coaches are planning to adjust at least marginally.

He didn't say you don't need good plays. He said you can't win without good players. Phil Jackson's triangle offense didn't do squat with the talent on the Knicks this year. I want to see the coaches put the best talent on the field and I am confident the plays will be there. Playmakers make plays. That's the point.

Reaction Score

Okay... you have your "told ya so" duly noted...;):D

For the record - I'm underwhelmed but hoping all those coaches/programs rubbed off on him in a positive way.

Reaction Score
I agree with this in that it's clear Diaco knows the type of offense he wants to run and if an OC wasn't going to go with that then they weren't going to be hired. Reminds me of when RE brought in Joe Moorhead to be OC and we all thought the offense would be opened up. Instead, the offense remained run first. Many of us would love to see us open things up and start flinging the ball around. However, Diaco doesn't wanna do that. To me it's gonna lead to boring football but if we're winning then who cares! It'll be interesting to see how this might attract the casual fan. Winning cures all but if the team is 6-6 or 5-7 and running a run first offense, wonder if it will raise interest.
Do remember Joe was not given enough time to implement the new O and one of his recruits to do so followed him. They did just fine...Just say'n

Reaction Score
He didn't say you don't need good plays. He said you can't win without good players. Phil Jackson's triangle offense didn't do squat with the talent on the Knicks this year. I want to see the coaches put the best talent on the field and I am confident the plays will be there. Playmakers make plays. That's the point.

Did we get our playmakers the ball when we should have? I do like that he said we have to get our difference makers in the right spot. That would be a big improvement but it was kind of a contradictory statement.

What he also said at the start was it's more important to have good players than good plays.

He was downplaying the importance of good plays which in our case is very important and an area we were very deficient in last year. You brought it up and I was just pointing out how it doesn't fit our current situation. Signing day wasn't that long ago and I thnk ND and Iowa had better ranked classes. Hold on, let me check.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone has to give him a chance. People want a guy with a proven track record etc. If he has/had a proven track record as an OC you think he would still be available to UConn? Absolutely not. He has tons of experience and has seemed to coach and excel in the areas Diaco has identified as areas where Uconn needs to excel and be great.

1) Yes, someone has to give him a chance, and apparently, nobody did for the first 30 years of his career, that's a concern for me.

2) Yes, I do think there are guys at a lower level (FCS) that have a proven track record that would be available to UConn. You undersell UConn.

3) I already said I'd be content with a young guy with no OC experience, I don't understand why we're getting an "old" (relatively speaking) guy with no OC experience.

Reaction Score
Okay... you have your "told ya so" duly noted...;):D

For the record - I'm underwhelmed but hoping all those coaches/programs rubbed off on him in a positive way.

This could be a great hire, I have no idea. His resume looks great... for a position coach. That's what worries me. If we go back to 1500-2000 yard rushers and bowl games I'll be happy. I'd like to see us be able to throw the ball downfield more, or even short passes like we saw from the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but I think we need to be a run first program. Control the ball and clock, keep the other offense off the field, and grind out wins. Until we can recruit some speed, that has to be our strategy. It's worked for us before. I may not be in love with the hire, but the resume seems to match the strategy (if we're correct in assuming the style of offense Diaco wants to run). If the synergy is there between the coaches, and if the players buy in, hopefully this thing will get on the right track.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1) Yes, someone has to give him a chance, and apparently, nobody did for the first 30 years of his career, that's a concern for me.

2) Yes, I do think there are guys at a lower level (FCS) that have a proven track record that would be available to UConn. You undersell UConn.

3) I already said I'd be content with a young guy with no OC experience, I don't understand why we're getting an "old" (relatively speaking) guy with no OC experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm "cautiously optimistic" too.

I'm hoping that his OLine experience and NFL gameday experience, coupled with his recruiting connections (he was even a recruiting coordinator at Iowa if I'm not mistaken), will overcome the fact that he hasn't been given the reins at his previous jobs...

Reaction Score

If you know me and view my posts, I speak very highly of Uconn and have much faith in the football program (cue Jimmy's comments). While I posted about the OC still available to UConn, if there are up and coming FCS OC's and such why aren't they getting selectedby the Tennessee's and other big programs of the world? Pete Carroll just named a former player, grad assistant and CB's coach of his to DC of the Seahawk's. Kris Richard drafted in 2002 and hired by Pete in 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Richard
Old or young, I will take experience and a record of success. TJ Weist only had experience at WKU prior to his hire at Uconn.

Reaction Score

In not wanting to be accused of making the board" unreadable", I kept from posting this. This will be another one of these things that I'm hoping works out on blind faith alone. I too would have preferred a younger FCS coordinator type, but Diaco seems hell bent on a particular style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom