OT: - New Mexico State | The Boneyard

OT: New Mexico State

Reaction Score
Really pathetic. At the level of loss of institution control, death penalty levels. Honestly the fact the season was ongoing after the shooting and investigation was pretty shocking. Feels like the fall out from this one is going to go very high up

caw

Reaction Score
I can see why the first thing wasn't enough to close down the program if the investigation into coaches involvement wasn't finished. That's a potential one-off craziness that is probably more on the individual player than the team as a whole.

This is a different story as it involves the whole team and coaches had to be aware of it.

I remember when I was in college, almost every sports team (both genders) had some form of hazing (D1 teams). Most was benign crap like dressing up for Halloween, but some was not. Still amazes me to this day that more players didn't just say f off. I remember one basketball player did, wasn't crap the upperclassmen could do either, he was by far the best player on the team and was a big, big dude.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
He served under Larry Eustachy (coeds, drinking anger management paying players to make free throws) at Southern Miss, Gregg Marshall (physical verbal abuse) at Wichita’s and served as an assistant coach to Will Wade of LSU (paying players multiple
Violations) nNo one could have seen this coming…

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the kids.

Between Neil McCarthy, Reggie Theus, Marvin Menzies and most recently Chris Jans, New Mexico State has had a proud and successful basketball program throughout the last ~30 years or so.

Hope that program can move on from Greg Heiar immediately to start their rebound back to success as they enter the C-USA next season.

Reaction Score
Not trying to speculate here but the program seems to be full of guys who have multiple transfers and a decent amount of JUCO guys. I’m wondering if some of the players were just head-cases to begin with and why they couldn’t stay at one school for a long time - it’s not everyday you hear of a D1 athlete sneaking out and murdering someone or a full team hazing someone to the point of a police report being filed.

I won’t fault all the players until details come out, and I truly believe it starts at the top with coaching and leadership, but it just seems the entire program is a mess.

I think back to last season when we played them in the 1st round. I knew nothing about Teddy Allen but clearly he could play. Turns out the reason he was at NMSU because some off the court issues at a few places.

Reaction Score
As an NMSU alum, I am beyond disgusted with the state of the program. I was never a fan of hiring Greg Heiar from the get go. His initial press conference rubbed me the wrong way. He sang his own praises about winning at every program he's been associated with. His lack of control during the Mike Peake incident and stating that he "really didn't know him that well" during the police interview disgusted me. He talked about being a "player's program." The lack of respect his players had for him was evident after the first couple of games.

Chris Jans got it, he'd recruit juco and transfer players like Teddy Allen. Allen will forever be hated here, but Jans reigned him in and was able to capitalize on his talent and not let him fly off the deep end. Jans himself had an incident off the court but showed he deserved a second chance and now he is at a P5 school.

I love UConn basketball as much as everyone here but last year seeing NMSU finally get over the hurdle and win a game in the NCAA tournament game albeit against UConn was pretty special. I had to stop talking to friends and co-workers for a couple of days afterwards...but back to normal now.

I'm not sure what happens now, I hope everyone is fired, and they should be.

Mario Moccia the AD, has made a lot of great hires. He will get a pass on this one and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to right the ship.

Reaction Score
Really pathetic. At the level of loss of institution control, death penalty levels. Honestly the fact the season was ongoing after the shooting and investigation was pretty shocking. Feels like the fall out from this one is going to go very high up
If the school was a member of the cartel, you would hear nothing about this.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Unbelievable story in this day and age. Hazing? Really?
Sounds as if the season should end, coaching staff fired, and reboot next year ‘under new management’.

Reaction Score
When I was in college "hazing" was having the freshman get smacked with a towel in the locker room on the ass. Afterwards the seniors bought us liqour and the team had a party.

You're just human trash if you're taking it to the level of a police report.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When I was in college "hazing" was having the freshman get smacked with a towel in the locker room on the ass. Afterwards the seniors bought us liqour and the team had a party.

You're just human trash if you're taking it to the level of a police report.
When I was in HS, this was just the way things were done.

Reaction Score
When I was in HS, this was just the way things were done.

I didn't write my post very well. I don't know what happened here, but whatever the upperclassmen here are the problem. Big time.

Hazing is supposed to be optional and funny. Not abusive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom