New Loge Box at Gampel | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New Loge Box at Gampel

Reaction Score
The problem was many with good seats were giving nothing in donations to the foundation. Not saying that was you or anyone on this board but it caused alot of issues. So the seat donation was a way to get them to donate. It back fired because of where the team was at the time and fans with more than 2 seats got screwed.
The old system for seat selection was based on cumulative donations (priority points). The issue I have is that I had less than desirable seats for 25 years and "paid my dues" to work my way up to lower bowl seats. Once I finally got there, the rules completely changed. Priority points are still used for stature within your donor level but they also devalued the old priority points by 90%. You used to get 1 point for every $100 donated. With the new model, you get 10 points for every $100 donated. So, recent donors could quickly leap frog long time donors that didn't want to pony up for high priced seats.

Reaction Score
The old system for seat selection was based on cumulative donations (priority points). The issue I have is that I had less than desirable seats for 25 years and "paid my dues" to work my way up to lower bowl seats. Once I finally got there, the rules completely changed. Priority points are still used for stature within your donor level but they also devalued the old priority points by 90%. You used to get 1 point for every $100 donated. With the new model, you get 10 points for every $100 donated. So, recent donors could quickly leap frog long time donors that didn't want to pony up for high priced seats.
I understand what you are saying and don’t disagree. But in the old system there was people who paid no “dues” and got season tickets where they wanted because they knew someone.

My dad who has been a donor/season ticket holder before Calhoun had to give way more years ago to keep his upper chairbacks than what it costs in seat donations today.

Reaction Score
Priority points are still used for stature within your donor level
which has little benefit for season tickets with lifetime seats. provides a small benefit for the post season.

Reaction Score
The problem too is the clunky marketing of "forever seats" (under the old priority system) and hot on the heels of that campaign they completely ditch priority points.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think that only happened after the Syracuse, Georgetown and St. John's games? I will admit I may be misremembering this, but here's how I remember the tickets for that year.

Remember, we were supposed to be trash. I went to the ticket office (literally I think it was someone's office) with a couple fellow freshmen to get season tickets just because we were college hoops fans. We got there as soon as they opened and there was no line or anything. I think they gave you tickets for HCC and that punch card for on campus (field house and Gampel). People mocked me about getting season tickets. I remember they charged students for tickets. It wasn't much, but it added up when you bought all games so people thought it was dumb since you could always get tickets right around the time of the game. Fast forward to beating back-to-back number 1s (EDIT: Syracuse was number 5. Georgetown was number 2 and slated to be number 1 that week) and then the ridiculously loud opening night at Gampel and tickets became a hot commodity. So, they started having those lotteries. I was happy to have gotten those season tickets. At least that's how I remember it.
Golden ticket was won before the season even started. The gem was January 27th early access to behind the basket at game 1 in our new on campus arena. And for all home games that season, Fieldhouse and eventually Gampel. I know there were other promos/raffles back then and agree with you that as a fanbase, we had no clue the ride that team was about to take us on.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I could see it being pretty cool if they built a riser, added some kind of half-or full-wall surrounding the seats, added a little mini-bar or bar tables for the SRO folks. Maybe stocked a mini-fridge with Treehouse or other local CT brewery offerings, a mini-freezer with Dairy bar offerings, etc.
This sounds amazing yeah, but there’s just not room for 10 people plus this stuff in those corners

Reaction Score
I can’t get over this. If you pay that price for those seats you probably have never been to a game before or you are an idiot. We should throw stuff at them.
This is a comment of a frustrated middle school grader at best. Please don't paint any UConn fan that would throw money to the program with nothing but respect. That and throw nothing but respect and kudos to them. A total misunderstanding of the UConn financial situation here for sure.
On to your next comment......
XLcenterfN
The people buying those boxes will be the fakest fans in the building and won’t be able to name 3 players on the team or an assistant coach. They should stay home like they’ve been for the past 10 years and we shouldn’t be catering to them.

Business 101 ......
Have a towel on your arm and open their bottle of wine.

I'm personally glad you are supposedly an avid fan but really would love you to understand that attacking and slandering the highest downers to the program is simply a bad play call.

There ARE levels of fandom. But they do not depend upon income or wealth.
Yes but that comment leaves you away from your original take on the topic. I hope all and any fan of good income and wealth will come on board asap. Any day any game and will be welcome at our tail gait.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I looked at them, thought the same thing. No way

Only six seats which look crowded. Four other SRO for people competing for space with the restroom and concession lines, no privacy or exclusivity whatsoever..

Don't like them at all. I'll just keep what I have

Then again, I have pretty good seats

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This is a comment of a frustrated middle school grader at best. Please don't paint any UConn fan that would throw money to the program with nothing but respect. That and throw nothing but respect and kudos to them. A total misunderstanding of the UConn financial situation here for sure.
On to your next comment......
XLcenterfN
The people buying those boxes will be the fakest fans in the building and won’t be able to name 3 players on the team or an assistant coach. They should stay home like they’ve been for the past 10 years and we shouldn’t be catering to them.

Business 101 ......
Have a towel on your arm and open their bottle of wine.

I'm personally glad you are supposedly an avid fan but really would love you to understand that attacking and slandering the highest downers to the program is simply a bad play call.

Yes but that comment leaves you away from your original take on the topic. I hope all and any fan of good income and wealth will come on board asap. Any day any game and will be welcome at our tail gait.
Half of the things I say here are real. The other half are embellishments and in jest. Do I dislike the idea of these boxes? Yes. Do I care that much? No. Would I buy one? No. Will I kind of chuckle as I walk past them? Yes. I know that in order to sell out games and for the atmosphere to be at its best, we need the casuals. I’m not sure what you mean by “a total misunderstanding of the UConn financial situation.” I’m well aware of all the happenings within the program.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If someone has the money and they find it worthwhile it's more money to the athletic dept.
If not, it's not like they spent a lot of money making these seating boxes. (Yet).
Would any of us like to see it look top notch and not interfere with flow of foot traffic? Sure.
I'll hold judgment until I see the finished product and see the balance sheet at the end of the season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can totally see Providence fans buying these as a valiant attempt to get under our skin.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wow. You’re right. That’s the best take I’ve seen here.
Basketball Celebration GIF by Providence Friars

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
That differential doesn't make sense. They are gouging people who sit like 10 feet away from each other. lol.
That's tickets to most events - knowing the secret good seats is always key if you want to maximize your dollar and view. The HCC used to have "semi-obstructed seats", the obstruction however was out of your sightline/sightline of the stage and the tickets were like 1/2 price of the premium ones across the aisle - I'd always try and nab those seats for concerts.

Reaction Score
You'd have to use bar stools so you can see over the safety bars. I was in the first row of the 2nd section for a couple of years and the stupid bar was right at eye level. And under it was dirty plexiglas that I kept waiting for them to clean but they never did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom