New Husky Logo? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Husky Logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
forward facing

Not bad. But in this rendition, I'm not a big fan of the ear gauging that is all-too-common with today's kids.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We're transitioning to I-AA so damn fast. Unbelievably fast.
Sadly I totally agree with you..... It's a shame really

Reaction Score
forward facing

Below is more along the lines I was talking about and was used in the other thread. Just picture this but not AS mean/aggressive:

UCKrav_logo.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jesus, can we see the logo before everyone gets mad about it? Good Lord...
Nah, it saves time this way. This way we can have multiple 20 page threads about before it is even released.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't UConn have a statewide competition for a new logo, that way they'll have plenty to choose from. I wonder how many variations Nike will put out there to choose from. At the very least let the art dept. and graphic arts dept do this too. Letting Nike do this limits the possibilities, that, I'm not comfortable with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why doesn't UConn have a statewide competition for a new logo, that way they'll have plenty to choose from. I wonder how many variations Nike will put out there to choose from. At the very least let the art dept. and graphic arts dept do this too. Letting Nike do this limits the possibilities, that, I'm not comfortable with.
Because that would cost money and the Nike redesign is free?

Reaction Score
Nah, it saves time this way. This way we can have multiple 20 page threads about before it is even released.
People have a right to be angry that they're messing with the logo. UConn's identity and reputation has been thoroughly trashed throughout conference realignment, yet we've heard the same things from the higher-ups: "We're still UConn, that hasn't changed. And because we're still UConn, we'll be alright."

Nothing says "we're still UConn" like changing the logo we've had so much success under, right?

And also, making the husky more ferocious completely misses the point. How many elite D1 programs in ANY sport have a fierce logo? I love the current design. The dog is cute, and yet other teams know that the team that that cute dog represents is gonna completely duck* them up more often than not.

Reaction Score
Because that would cost money and the Nike redesign is free?
I don't know the deal, but I sorely doubt that the deal is "free" in the sense that Nike gets nothing. Much more likely, they get some sort of cut down the road.
Nike is not a charitable institution. They make money. So it's probably more of a "you don't have to have a debit on this year's budget, and we can nibble out of future revenue streams" than a "here, we're good guys, let us help you with that."

It may be penny wise and pound foolish, but, at the end of the day, for a state school in a bad economy, it's probably politically much easier to say "free" and figure most aren't smart enough to figure out the not-free part, than to openly pay a Madison Ave. company 1 million to design a new logo.

I remember my father working for a corp that had a new logo designed for 1 million. I laughed when i saw it. It was two plain block letters, slightly intersecting. Boring, plain, and could have been done in 10 minutes by a competent 12 year old. They used it for less than a year.

Reaction Score
I don't know the deal, but I sorely doubt that the deal is "free" in the sense that Nike gets nothing. Much more likely, they get some sort of cut down the road.
Nike is not a charitable institution. They make money. So it's probably more of a "you don't have to have a debit on this year's budget, and we can nibble out of future revenue streams" than a "here, we're good guys, let us help you with that."

It may be penny wise and pound foolish, but, at the end of the day, for a state school in a bad economy, it's probably politically much easier to say "free" and figure most aren't smart enough to figure out the not-free part, than to openly pay a Madison Ave. company 1 million to design a new logo.

I remember my father working for a corp that had a new logo designed for 1 million. I laughed when i saw it. It was two plain block letters, slightly intersecting. Boring, plain, and could have been done in 10 minutes by a competent 12 year old. They used it for less than a year.
I think what Nike would get out of it is some multi year apparel deal and all husky fans would buy the new stuff=$

Reaction Score
I think the current Husky logo works and has always worked fine, and has become synonymous with the UConn brand, especially for hoops. I gotta believe the reason for the change (a meaner Jonathan) is to work it into the football uniforms somehow (maybe even on the helmets for a sleek 3rd uniform?). A tongue-wagging doggie on a football helmet just doesn't strike fear into the hearts of opponents. ;)

Keeping an open mind until I see the new logo, but whatever they do, I just hope it looks good. The way we've gotten steamrolled in conf realignment, our brand is more important than ever. Plus let's decide once and for all if we're using red and/or grey trim for all sports, and for God's sakes, let's not have a different "C" logo for every sport.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
At least we still have a more intimidating mascot than Syracuse. It'd be scary running into an orange in a dark alley at night.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
At least we still have a more intimidating mascot than Syracuse. It'd be scary running into an orange in a dark alley at night.

Not sure how far back you remember, but Cuse was actually the Orangemen, I believe they changed it due to accusations of it referencing Natives of that area or something to do with Protestants killing Catholics back in the day, something stupid though, always thought Orangemen was better than just Orange. Similarly St Johns who's original name was the Redmen, is now switched to the Red Storm. Marquette Warriors, now the Eagles. There's even talks of the Washington Redskins changing their mascot. Back in Elway's day, Stanford was the Indians, I still don't know why they're the Cardinals with a tree for the mascot.

Reaction Score
Not sure how far back you remember, but Cuse was actually the Orangemen, I believe they changed it due to accusations of it referencing Natives of that area or something to do with Protestants killing Catholics back in the day, something stupid though, always thought Orangemen was better than just Orange. Similarly St Johns who's original name was the Redmen, is now switched to the Red Storm. Marquette Warriors, now the Eagles. There's even talks of the Washington Redskins changing their mascot. Back in Elway's day, Stanford was the Indians, I still don't know why they're the Cardinals with a tree for the mascot.

If I recall, it was more gender based. Couldn't really keep calling women's teams the "Orangemen"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Who else remembers the 10 ft tall inflatable Jonathan mascot that used to be at the games? That was probably the most unnecessary thing of all time.

Reaction Score
Who else remembers the 10 ft tall inflatable Jonathan mascot that used to be at the games? That was probably the most unnecessary thing of all time.

We should get a Jonathan version of this going at games:

Reaction Score
huacgegsyefyj7gvpzuj.gif

Stanford Cardinal, not Cardinals.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
[Stanford Cardinal, not Cardinals.

Ahh so it's just one bird, instead of a pack of'em. Ya know what, maybe the Cardinal actually lives in the tree. ;)

Yes I'm joking

SJ

Reaction Score
The reception to this post makes me come to the realization that there's probably not a single female on this board
Me. I am always entertained by the thirst.

SJ

Reaction Score
And also, making the husky more ferocious completely misses the point. How many elite D1 programs in ANY sport have a fierce logo? I love the current design. The dog is cute, and yet other teams know that the team that that cute dog represents is gonna completely duck* them up more often than not.

This.

Reaction Score
Below is more along the lines I was talking about and was used in the other thread. Just picture this but not AS mean/aggressive:

UCKrav_logo.jpg

If you don't have the barred teeth on that you could get more of a stern aggressiveness instead of an angry evilness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom