New Huskies on Campus… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Huskies on Campus…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marcus Williams, Dham and Giffey as well.

McKay a very underrated Husky 4 solid years. With Calhoun as a coach may have been even better.
I would've said Marcus Williams in the past. He's still very high on my #5 list, but has been supplanted by The Wrench

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Marcus Williams, Dham and Giffey as well.

McKay a very underrated Husky 4 solid years. With Calhoun as a coach may have been even better.
You do have to wonder what Jim Calhoun could've done with a Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Chuck Aleksinas front court.

Hobbs and Sullivan as the guards with Giscombe being instant offense off the bench. Oh, and I forgot about Norm Bailey! That was a heck of a team.

Reaction Score

That's a lot of mom confidence and I hope she's right but... he hasn't played against the kind of defenses or toughess he will face in the BE. I admit I've just seen clips but who here expects him to dominate in our league this year? Ready to start his Uconn career I guess she means.

Reaction Score
You do have to wonder what Jim Calhoun could've done with a Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Chuck Aleksinas front court.

Hobbs and Sullivan as the guards with Giscombe being instant offense off the bench. Oh, and I forgot about Norm Bailey! That was a heck of a team.
Bobby Dulin and Clay Johnson for part of that crews time too.

Reaction Score
Not to say Stephon won't have his stumbles/challenges - what player and especially freshman don't - but I think he will elevate his play against tougher competition. Georgia is loaded with excellent high school players but certainly some games he seemed to not be challenged and drifted a bit down into fourth gear. When he played top flight competition, he pushed harder and excelled (e.g. his high school game against Duncanville, TX, against others in GA, and then almost always with his Xpress club team). I think Hurley and staff will push, pull, and twist Stephon to levels of play that he doesn't even know he's capable of at the moment.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
That's a lot of mom confidence and I hope she's right but... he hasn't played against the kind of defenses or toughess he will face in the BE. I admit I've just seen clips but who here expects him to dominate in our league this year? Ready to start his Uconn career I guess she means.
Nice

Reaction Score

Yes, we already love her confidence in her son... but it is also plain to see that Momma Castle is quickly moving up the ranks of best UConn player moms ever. I just pray she is able to keep her positivity when there are the inevitable bumps in the road during the very arduous regular 2023-2024 season that is to come.

If she can... then she has a shot at joining the Mount Rushmore of Shabazz's Mom, Ryan B's Mom and Kemba's Mom (feel free to mention others I did not) as best UConn's player mom's ever. Her energy and positivity for her son and the entire program is already infectious.

Go Momma Castle!!!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Mike McKay from the corner. That was a good team 1981-82. Corny and Chuck were both huge human beings. And then Karl Hobbs at point. Perno should have done better with that roster. I think they had another big man on that team that pretty serviceable. Name does not come to mind. If McKay would have had a better handle he would have played at the next level.

Reaction Score

Nothing in that statement means "he's going to light up the big east." I genuinely don't understand the spin some of you manage to put on innocuous social media posts.

Reaction Score

Some of you post the weirdest stuff. I guess we would all feel better if she said “holy Christ I am freaking out my kid is not prepared in the slightest for college.”

It’s a mom being proud of her son for taking the next step on his journey. How can you read that tweet and think anything different?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I have loved Castle from the start, from his game to his style of play. Ball is quickly making it 1a/1b though. I'm way more excited for him than I have been, even when he committed. I think those 2 guys are studs plus I just love the vibe they give off. Confidence, swagger, style. Then we STILL have Stewart and Ross.

Most 4-5 man classes don't all become really good, but it's tough not to see success from each guy.

Reaction Score
Mike McKay from the corner. That was a good team 1981-82. Corny and Chuck were both huge human beings. And then Karl Hobbs at point. Perno should have done better with that roster. I think they had another big man on that team that pretty serviceable. Name does not come to mind. If McKay would have had a better handle he would have played at the next level.

Norm Bailey and Bruce Kucenski?

Reaction Score
Nothing in that statement means "he's going to light up the big east." I genuinely don't understand the spin some of you manage to put on innocuous social media posts.
It's understandable her confidence with him dominating on that HS level and with his high ranking. Of course we hope he's that good with us.

Reaction Score
I have loved Castle from the start, from his game to his style of play. Ball is quickly making it 1a/1b though. I'm way more excited for him than I have been, even when he committed. I think those 2 guys are studs plus I just love the vibe they give off. Confidence, swagger, style. Then we STILL have Stewart and Ross.

Most 4-5 man classes don't all become really good, but it's tough not to see success from each guy.

Ball is going to need to shoot it to get the minutes he wants. I would imagine Brewster has helped him develop, but he Stewart and Ross all have 1b potential IMO. Whoever can pick up defensive schemes and shoot 35% from deep will play.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Ball is going to need to shoot it to get the minutes he wants. I would imagine Brewster has helped him develop, but he Stewart and Ross all have 1b potential IMO. Whoever can pick up defensive schemes and shoot 35% from deep will play.

I agree, but he’ll also be an immediate D and athlete contributor.

Also, my post was strictly about me liking them, so it was very superficial, not so much basketball lol just wanted to clarify.

I prob WOULD have them ranked 1-2 in this class, but that’s not what I was referring to in my post.

Reaction Score
Don't let 6'3" fool you...Solomon Ball is a BIG guard...will be a stud..as long and perhaps as athletic as dare I say Andre Jackson Jr...his

wingspan is reported to be over 7 feet (crazy for his height) with a 40 inch vert...if he can shoot it too yikes...watch out! I can't wait for

November!

Reaction Score
Refresh your memory by actually watching a game or two from 1981 linked in TCF's Stuff on the menu here. I had beta max tapes of 3 games (Georgetown might be partial), that they put on the site years ago. The roster is listed on the home page for 1981-82, and you can hit replay and watch McKay, Cornelius, et al in action. Your post prompted me to watch a bit of the BU game, Rick Pitino coaching, no 3 point line on the court, first year no jump balls except to start the game. The Georgetown game is vs Ewing as a freshman if I recall, and there is Providence I believe. (The BU game is the same day the soccer team won their national semi final before winning the championship. Billy Marone, Pedro Debrito, Domingos Carlos, Tim Maisley, and Elvis Comrie all worked for me after they graduated from that soccer team.) Take a walk down memory lane. Games are in the field house. Keeping in mind how little basketball was scheduled on tv at the time, normal programming was interupted to bring this special broadcast of UConn basketball. I think this is pre cable tv existing, and, pre espn. Espn was just starting with AM radio only if I recall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24