New Huskies on Campus… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Huskies on Campus…

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You do have to wonder what Jim Calhoun could've done with a Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Chuck Aleksinas front court.

Hobbs and Sullivan as the guards with Giscombe being instant offense off the bench. Oh, and I forgot about Norm Bailey! That was a heck of a team.
That's the team back to when I became a fan. Those guys were legit.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Refresh your memory by actually watching a game or two from 1981 linked in TCF's Stuff on the menu here. I had beta max tapes of 3 games (Georgetown might be partial), that they put on the site years ago. The roster is listed on the home page for 1981-82, and you can hit replay and watch McKay, Cornelius, et al in action. Your post prompted me to watch a bit of the BU game, Rick Pitino coaching, no 3 point line on the court, first year no jump balls except to start the game. The Georgetown game is vs Ewing as a freshman if I recall, and there is Providence I believe. (The BU game is the same day the soccer team won their national semi final before winning the championship. Billy Marone, Pedro Debrito, Domingos Carlos, Tim Maisley, and Elvis Comrie all worked for me after they graduated from that soccer team.) Take a walk down memory lane. Games are in the field house. Keeping in mind how little basketball was scheduled on tv at the time, normal programming was interupted to bring this special broadcast of UConn basketball. I think this is pre cable tv existing, and, pre espn. Espn was just starting with AM radio only if I recall.
I grew up with Tim Masley (may he rest in peace) and Joe, Billy & Missy Morone

Reaction Score
Jaylin Stewart, the last piece of the Fab Five class, won't graduate from high school in Seattle until mid-June, so he will join UConn's second summer session. But Stewart has been prepped on what to expect by former Husky Donny Marshall, a distant relative.

Alternate access:

UConn freshmen basketball players have arrived in Storrs: KK Arnold, Stephon Castle, and more

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mike McKay from the corner. That was a good team 1981-82. Corny and Chuck were both huge human beings. And then Karl Hobbs at point. Perno should have done better with that roster. I think they had another big man on that team that pretty serviceable. Name does not come to mind. If McKay would have had a better handle he would have played at the next level.
That team handed the Freddie Brown Georgetown team it's biggest loss of the year, on the road. Yet still ended up losing 7 out of it's last 8 games, including in the BET at the Hartford Civic Center. That performance earned the coach 4 more years.

Reaction Score
Mike McKay from the corner. That was a good team 1981-82. Corny and Chuck were both huge human beings. And then Karl Hobbs at point. Perno should have done better with that roster. I think they had another big man on that team that pretty serviceable. Name does not come to mind. If McKay would have had a better handle he would have played at the next level.
I think you're thinking of Bruce Kuczenski. Was more than serviceable and I think he actually had a cup of coffee in the NBA.....Dom sure could do a little with a lot

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Refresh your memory by actually watching a game or two from 1981 linked in TCF's Stuff on the menu here. I had beta max tapes of 3 games (Georgetown might be partial), that they put on the site years ago. The roster is listed on the home page for 1981-82, and you can hit replay and watch McKay, Cornelius, et al in action. Your post prompted me to watch a bit of the BU game, Rick Pitino coaching, no 3 point line on the court, first year no jump balls except to start the game. The Georgetown game is vs Ewing as a freshman if I recall, and there is Providence I believe. (The BU game is the same day the soccer team won their national semi final before winning the championship. Billy Marone, Pedro Debrito, Domingos Carlos, Tim Maisley, and Elvis Comrie all worked for me after they graduated from that soccer team.) Take a walk down memory lane. Games are in the field house. Keeping in mind how little basketball was scheduled on tv at the time, normal programming was interupted to bring this special broadcast of UConn basketball. I think this is pre cable tv existing, and, pre espn. Espn was just starting with AM radio only if I recall.
I just remembered listening to them on I think it was WTIC radio, hence the McKay from the corner usually ended with “swish”.

Reaction Score
Jaylin is graduating at a perfectly reasonable time, but it still seems so far away. Glad everyone else is on campus and ready to go.

Reaction Score
Jaylin is graduating at a perfectly reasonable time, but it still seems so far away. Glad everyone else is on campus and ready to go.
He’s the one I’m most excited about. I think he could be a dominant college player

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That team handed the Freddie Brown Georgetown team it's biggest loss of the year, on the road. Yet still ended up losing 7 out of it's last 8 games, including in the BET at the Hartford Civic Center. That performance earned the coach 4 more years.
The most depressing thing was watching the opening round of the 1982 BET in Hartford. We had what should have been an insurmountable halftime lead (no clock, no three point shot) and Perno's brilliant coaching let it slowly melt away in the second half until we turn the ball over in a tie game (about 2 min left) and let St John's run the clock down for a Chris Mullin buzzer beater.

I still can't believe we kept Perno as long as we did.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You do have to wonder what Jim Calhoun could've done with a Mike McKay, Corny Thompson and Chuck Aleksinas front court.

Hobbs and Sullivan as the guards with Giscombe being instant offense off the bench. Oh, and I forgot about Norm Bailey! That was a heck of a team.
Would have been interesting to be there on the first day of practice if he came on the scene with that team assembled.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would have been interesting to be there on the first day of practice if he came on the scene with that team assembled.

If memory serves me correctly about Calhoun's first day of practice, I think there would've been a whole lot of vomiting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If memory serves me correctly about Calhoun's first day of practice, I think there would've been a whole lot of vomiting.
Absolutely true. I firmly believe that if JC was their college coach, Corney would have had a long NBA career, McKay would have had a few seasons in the league Aleksinas would have lasted a whole lot longer than the cup or two of coffee he had in the league. The way the game was played at that time, it would have been on of the top two or three frontcourts in the country.

I believe that it is safe to say that each of the three would have been 20lbs-30lbs lighter than what their playing weights were over their college years.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Absolutely true. I firmly believe that if JC was their college coach, Corney would have had a long NBA career, McKay would have had a few seasons in the league Aleksinas would have lasted a whole lot longer than the cup or two of coffee he had in the league. The way the game was played at that time, it would have been on of the top two or three frontcourts in the country.

I believe that it is safe to say that each of the three would have been 20lbs-30lbs lighter than what their playing weights were over their college years.
You're right on this for sure.
It is only fair to say though that the whole strength and conditioning field of knowledge has changed so much since then; much of it influenced by Dr Kramer (Kinesiology) of Uconn and Jerry Martin working with Kramer to work out theory into practice.

I think we might have to wish Dr Kramer and Jerry Martin (legendary strength coach) back to that time capsule as well for it to be possible though knowing what JC would have demanded of them they would of necessity be forced to lose weight. I remember a reporter once referring to Corny Thompson "pudding" body. The only reason I remember it was it aptly described what it looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom