New grid alert

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Mind Hopefully it starts soon.
So soon, it happened in the past
Bill Nye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Jackson’s athleticism and weird skill set being super athletic ball handler woukd crush as a second round pick and on a 2-way deal.

I think Sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson are all 2nd round pick types right now. Even as UDFA, I can see Sanogo getting a 2-way deal. That is hard to turn down.

The only one who could explode into the first would be Hawkins with his shooting and scoring. We’ll see how good he goes this years. Also, players will leave.
If Sanogo shows he can play some 4
he still has a shot at the first round .
His power combined with decent hands and a soft touch make him intriguing.
I think you will see Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together for short minutes.

Reaction Score
I think you will see Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together for short minutes.
Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This only happens if Don is sooooo good, it’d be malpractice to not get him 20 minutes per game. Even Purdue with Edey and Williams had to stagger their minutes most of the time.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This only happens if Don is sooooo good, it’d be malpractice to not get him 20 minutes per game. Even Purdue with Edey and Williams had to stagger their minutes most of the time.
Purdue literally did not put them on the court at the same time despite not being all American candidates

Reaction Score
I’m another one who thinks Sanogo has a shot at the first round. He clearly needs another solid year of development, but I think he has the tools. I realize the NBA has moved to guys who can play around the perimeter and undrafted Kofi was another example of how the league has changed. But I’ve got faith in Adama. I guess we’ll see.

Reaction Score

Sanogo at the 4 is less than ideal in 99% of matchups

Reaction Score
I’m another one who thinks Sanogo has a shot at the first round. He clearly needs another solid year of development, but I think he has the tools. I realize the NBA has moved to guys who can play around the perimeter and undrafted Kofi was another example of how the league has changed. But I’ve got faith in Adama. I guess we’ll see.
Adama can’t guard modern nba 4s. He is a 5 in the nba.

Reaction Score
So what happens if we end up with 16+ scholarship guys for next year, for whatever reason be it injuries/setbacks or the covid eligibility guys returning or everyone being happy and not wanting to transfer? I’ve never been one to force guys out of the program, but would it just be a matter of Hurley sitting down with guys and being honest that they won’t see the court?

Reaction Score
Had no problem with Kessler.
Kessler had 14 and 10 (5-8 from 2pt range). I wouldn't call that "no problem".
Kalkbrenner put 22 and 10 (10-13 from 2pt) on him last time we met. He was a major problem.

He's (at best) 6'9" and has yet to show even an average vertical despite being very fluid and having great footwork. I love the guy as a UConn player, I'm skeptical it will translate to the NBA without him learning how to be as effective 15-20 feet from the hoop as he is 0-5 feet from the hoop, and he's just too short to defend NBA 5s IMO.
He works his *** off, so he definitely has a chance, but it's an uphill climb.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Kessler had 14 and 10 (5-8 from 2pt range). I wouldn't call that "no problem".
Kalkbrenner put 22 and 10 (10-13 from 2pt) on him last time we met. He was a major problem.

He's (at best) 6'9" and has yet to show even an average vertical despite being very fluid and having great footwork. I love the guy as a UConn player, I'm skeptical it will translate to the NBA without him learning how to be as effective 15-20 feet from the hoop as he is 0-5 feet from the hoop, and he's just too short to defend NBA 5s IMO.
He works his *** off, so he definitely has a chance, but it's an uphill climb.
Kessler had 14-10 in a game that went into 2OT. Sanogo dominated him all game. Kalkbrenner was a really bad matchup but again not many centers in the NBA that are 7'2 that he'll have to deal with.

Reaction Score
Kessler had 14-10 in a game that went into 2OT. Sanogo dominated him all game. Kalkbrenner was a really bad matchup but again not many centers in the NBA that are 7'2 that he'll have to deal with.
He only had 8 shots from 2 and made 5. He had a double/double and was effective when they gave him the ball. Your comment was just flat out wrong. He was a problem, they should have used him more.

Sanogo dominated him all game. Kalkbrenner was a really bad matchup
He had a great offensive game against Kessler. Last time against Kalkbrenner he shot 6-16.

not many centers in the NBA that are 7'2 that he'll have to deal with.

They don't need to be 7' to give him problems, they only need to be taller and/or better leapers.

There are at least 17-18 7' players. That's over half the teams. I wouldn't define "not many" as "more than half".

He has struggled against guys taller than him in the paint, they just shoot right over him because he doesn't have much explosiveness when jumping. I'd love to see him in the league, but it's going to be very tough for him.

Reaction Score
The NBA is very different than college. Sanogo has no shot of being a first round pick unless he’s consistently hitting threes and/or guarding guys on the perimeter.

Timme and Tshiebwe were projected second round picks. Cockburn went undrafted and landed an Exhibit-10 contract. Walker Kessler was #21 after national DPOY (and he’s 7’1)

I’m rooting for Sanogo as much as anybody here, but realistically his game isn’t suited for the NBA as it is. 6’9 low post bully ball is not a thing in the league. If he has a reliable jumper this year and performs like a BE POY, I think he could be a second round pick. Not due to lack of talent, but lack of fit. He’d be an NBA PF

Reaction Score
The NBA is very different than college. Sanogo has no shot of being a first round pick unless he’s consistently hitting threes and/or guarding guys on the perimeter.

Timme and Tshiebwe were projected second round picks. Cockburn went undrafted and landed an Exhibit-10 contract. Walker Kessler was #21 after national DPOY (and he’s 7’1)

I’m rooting for Sanogo as much as anybody here, but realistically his game isn’t suited for the NBA as it is. 6’9 low post bully ball is not a thing in the league. If he has a reliable jumper this year and performs like a BE POY, I think he could be a second round pick. Not due to lack of talent, but lack of fit. He’d be an NBA PF
And Kessler also took 1.5 3's a game last year which is a big part of why he was drafted so high. Granted he only shot 20% but he at least showed glimpses he had that range

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I had Kessler way higher on my personal big board, it really shows you how far the NBA is from traditional centers.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
He only had 8 shots from 2 and made 5. He had a double/double and was effective when they gave him the ball. Your comment was just flat out wrong. He was a problem, they should have used him more.

He had a great offensive game against Kessler. Last time against Kalkbrenner he shot 6-16.

They don't need to be 7' to give him problems, they only need to be taller and/or better leapers.

There are at least 17-18 7' players. That's over half the teams. I wouldn't define "not many" as "more than half".

He has struggled against guys taller than him in the paint, they just shoot right over him because he doesn't have much explosiveness when jumping. I'd love to see him in the league, but it's going to be very tough for him.
My comment was absolutely not flat out wrong, I recently re-watched the game. You're cherry picking stats with no context. Sanogo pushed Kessler out of the paint with ease whenever he was in the game. Not all of those 2's were made when Sanogo was in the game/guarding Kessler.

Agreed that Sanogo has had issues when there is a large size/athleticism discrepancy and I'm not saying his game is suited or ideal for the NBA.

However, your initial comment simply stating he wouldn't be able to guard a 5 in the NBA is disingenuous as he has had success guarding high level college 5's (evidenced by Kessler and Watson). Would obviously have to take a big step on the defensive end but it is by no means impossible.

His value becomes even higher with guys like PJ Tucker/Grant Williams being utilized as NBA 5's in smaller lineups.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Bottom line is all this speaks to the fact we should be focusing on getting him paid on THIS level next year

Reaction Score
My comment was absolutely not flat out wrong, I recently re-watched the game. You're cherry picking stats with no context. Sanogo pushed Kessler out of the paint with ease whenever he was in the game. Not all of those 2's were made when Sanogo was in the game/guarding Kessler.

Agreed that Sanogo has had issues when there is a large size/athleticism discrepancy and I'm not saying his game is suited or ideal for the NBA.

However, your initial comment simply stating he wouldn't be able to guard a 5 in the NBA is disingenuous as he has had success guarding high level college 5's (evidenced by Kessler and Watson). Would obviously have to take a big step on the defensive end but it is by no means impossible.

His value becomes even higher with guys like PJ Tucker/Grant Williams being utilized as NBA 5's in smaller lineups.

And you're focusing on offense when my comment was related to defense.

I also never said it was impossible.

His game isn't suited for the NBA, and he hasn't shown the explosiveness needed to get by as an undersized anything in the NBA offensively or defensively.

I don't see how a 6'8" low post player is effective against the likes of Gobert, Porzingis, Embiid, Boban, etc.

But you do you.

Reaction Score
PJ Tucker and Grant Williams, GREAT comparisons.

2 guys that are shooting over 35% from NBA 3pt range for their career and who both shot over 40% from 3 last year. Obviously they bring a similar skill set as a guy who is shooting 0% from 3PT for his career.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is all this speaks to the fact we should be focusing on getting him paid on THIS level next year
Might be true, but that’s a very sad commentary on today’s “college” basketball.

Reaction Score
Yes, literally everyone involved should get paid except for the guys on the court that we all pay to watch.
Sorry. I played Division 1 baseball between funnels and bong hits because I actually had a genuine love for the sport and the camaraderie. I realize that my sport didn’t generate today’s football and basketball dollars, but I had a helluva time doing it. I must be from a different generation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom