New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hey, I'm just a "random" poster here, I already like everything about this family. Traveling to Storrs couple times just to watch practices from 1,350 miles away very impressive. I also believe the Chassion's know some walk-ons have received scholarships from Geno in the past...a chance they're taking but IMO, if she hangs in there she will also garner one for herself.

Ok gang, you’ve waited for one of Carnac’s envelope readings all summer. Well, wait no more, here’s the first one...............

”Yes, before the beginning of her junior year”.

Question in envelop:

Will Autumn ever be awarded a full-ride scholarship from UConn?

Reaction Score
There are articles floating around. She turned down full ride scholarship offers because she was in love with UCONN, forever. She will not be the typical " last player " on the bench, in my naive opinion. It appears she played in her state HS championship games when waylaid with Covid ( it was March so they weren't sure what it was ). This is an exciting and positive story for UCONN Lady husky basketball. Now....if there is only a season...

She had no D1 offers.

Reaction Score
I think if anyone is expecting her to contribute more on the court than Pulido or Lawlor, they're setting themselves up for disappointment. She's a good kid who will contribute a lot to program culture and will be a fan favorite off the bench in the last minutes of blowout games, but she's not going to make a splash on any stat lines.

Agree on all counts.

Reaction Score
There are articles floating around. She turned down full ride scholarship offers because she was in love with UCONN, forever. She will not be the typical " last player " on the bench, in my naive opinion. It appears she played in her state HS championship games when waylaid with Covid ( it was March so they weren't sure what it was ). This is an exciting and positive story for UCONN Lady husky basketball. Now....if there is only a season...

We're in times when the word "positive" is not looked on favourably. :rolleyes:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think if anyone is expecting her to contribute more on the court than Pulido or Lawlor, they're setting themselves up for disappointment. She's a good kid who will contribute a lot to program culture and will be a fan favorite off the bench in the last minutes of blowout games, but she's not going to make a splash on any stat lines.
I think she is much better prospect than Lawlor and Pulido. Unfortunately, UConn is loaded with talented guards. [ ].

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She will become a fan favorite in the grand tradition of UCONN walk-on players. Hoping at some point in the future she's not a walk-on, but a scholarship player.

After reading some of the comments here, I sincerely hope that the "collective" can simply welcome her to the family, wish her the best, and support her for the next four years without nitpicking, criticizing and analyzing every detail and aspect of her life. This is a dream come true for her. She very much wants to be here.

GENO WANTS HER!!!
That is all we need to know. If we trust him and his judgement, we should all be happy for the program in that Geno is adding additional players to the roster. We should be happy for her and her family, and UConn fans everywhere. I have no expectations of her other than to come in and work as hard as she can, learn the system as quickly as possible and be the very best teammate she can be.

She's a "full fledged" member of the team!! She has the same rights, privileges and perks as any other player. I'm going to root and cheer for her as much as I will for any one of our other players, maybe even more. The only difference between her and the other players is that she's is a walk-on. One of my envelopes says that she'll be on scholarship by the beginning of her junior year (that remains to be seen).

Geno and the other coaches don’t expect any more or less from her than anyone else. Some of these comments here are tantamount to a mother eating her young. How about we remove her from under the microscope, be glad she's here, and show her some crazy boneyard love? How 'bout it? :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok gang, you’ve waited for one of Carnac’s envelope readings all summer. Well, wait no more, here’s the first one...............

”Yes, before the beginning of her junior year”.

Question in envelop:

Will Autumn ever be awarded a full-ride scholarship from UConn?
Who gives a , She is here that's what counts !

Reaction Score
The thing about the future is that all is a blank slate. Anything is possible, even the implausible. Generations of Cubs fans greeted April with a smile and a "this is the year" attitude. In those moments when anything and everything was possible, those long suffering fans had hope.

So with Autumn, we can hope she will become the biggest overachiever story in UConn history. Dream big! I'm in no hurry to burst that balloon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is what Daniel Connolly says about Autumn's offers. She definitely had Division I offers, though most of them were lower level D-I schools. Think the rest of the American Conference, Mid-Majors, or lower. But some top-10 team offered.

"At the DI level, most of Autumn’s offers came from low-major schools. However, there was one power conference school that was in the AP Top 10 as recently as last season that showed interest, pulled off but then came back late in the process with an offer."

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is what Daniel Connolly says about Autumn's offers. She definitely had Division I offers, though most of them were lower level D-I schools. Think the rest of the American Conference, Mid-Majors, or lower. But some top-10 team offered.

"At the DI level, most of Autumn’s offers came from low-major schools. However, there was one power conference school that was in the AP Top 10 as recently as last season that showed interest, pulled off but then came back late in the process with an offer."

Then her skill set couldn’t be as bad as some here surmise. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You can just look at that pic, and tell immediately that she is primo UConn material. I am delighted at this development. She will love it in Storrs and be loved by UConn fans!
And rest assured that Geno and staff know what they are doing. Hard to say just what her role will be, but you can bet the farm that she will fill it well.

Last edited:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
A few short Videos:

1)

I'm not one to jump up and down about walkOns; but, I am impressed by Autumn. In the third video above you can see her determination, commitment and awareness. You can see in the other two videos that she is athletic, has quick hands, and has court awareness. Sure, her passing mechanics need work and she gets away with exposing the ball as the competition is not good enough to take advantage - these are correctable.

Overall: She will come good, earn minutes and a scholarship as a junior.

Note: I've had to post the 2nd and 3rd videos below as I wasn't able to include all 3 here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome Autumn!! We hope you take in all what UCONN WBB has to offer you and I personally hope that maybe you'll get the chance to hit a Briana Pulido shot too :)

Reaction Score
After reading some of the comments here, I sincerely hope that the "collective" can simply welcome her to the family, wish her the best, and support her for the next four years without nitpicking, criticizing and analyzing every detail and aspect of her life. This is a dream come true for her. She very much wants to be here.

GENO WANTS HER!!!
That is all we need to know. If we trust him and his judgement, we should all be happy for the program in that Geno is adding additional players to the roster. We should be happy for her and her family, and UConn fans everywhere. I have no expectations of her other than to come in and work as hard as she can, learn the system as quickly as possible and be the very best teammate she can be.

She's a "full fledged" member of the team!! She has the same rights, privileges and perks as any other player. I'm going to root and cheer for her as much as I will for any one of our other players, maybe even more. The only difference between her and the other players is that she's is a walk-on. One of my envelopes says that she'll be on scholarship by the beginning of her junior year (that remains to be seen).

Geno and the other coaches don’t expect any more or less from her than anyone else. Some of these comments here are tantamount to a mother eating her young. How about we remove her from under the microscope, be glad she's here, and show her some crazy boneyard love? How 'bout it? :)
Good article, i agree she will earn a scholarship before it is all over. Some of the comments are ridiculous!

Reaction Score
In terms of expectations I think Autumn probably brings a talent level that is clearly way better than a typical walk-on, and at the same time considerably below the low end of what Uconn typically recruits. Given where we are at, that is a very good thing.

Kyla and Molly are examples of the "low end" of what Uconn recruits. If you remember when they were recruited at least early in their careers, we had if I remember right 14 players on the roster potentially with twelve of those being highly rated prospects, and how are we going to find time for everyone was the question of the day.

In my opinion Kyla and Molly were not recruited to be a regular part of the rotation like last year, but rather to be improved versions of Pulido and Lawlor. Even though Kyla and Molly (maybe in the 100-200 range) were clearly above average compared to the roughly 1,000 Div 1 recruits each year, they were not at the level Geno "wants" to give regular playing time to.

I suspect the thought process was we can't keep everybody happy, so the tail end of the bench should be players with character who can contribute in practice, be happy just to be part of the team and can accept garbage minutes. If we can get someone rated as highly as Kyla and Molly for that role, why not?

Of course as it turns out they wound up playing more important roles, with Megan's class going from 4 to 1, followed by consecutive 2 player classes, and Azura leaving early and Butler transferring, so you never know.

On paper Autumn checks alot of boxes for that role. Presumably far better than a true walk-on, but perhaps not as high as Kyla or Molly. Great student, loves Uconn, happy to get this opportunity and be part of this program, and can probably be a good teammate and accept her role.

Right now the roster going forward looks like it did a few years ago. Once you get past 9 or 10 highly rated recruits, it is hard to be content with a mop up role, for someone rated in the top 20-30 out of 1,000
incoming Div 1 recruits. And yet having more than ten from a team standpoint helps a-lot. Practice is hard with 10 because injuries happen, people get sick, and this year for obvious reasons that is even more true, making adding a Division 1 level walk-on of Autumn's caliber a major coup.

Now if we can just find an Autumn Part 2 in the body of a big! Ha!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom