New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Too much of a good thing.
No attack, just wondering, do you think 11 NC's is too much of a good thing also? ;)

I hope she is still growing because she has the body of a high school freshman. Must be super quick or get much stronger.
Sometimes good things come in small packages. Kind of like all of Geno's rings. ;)

Love how people from all over the country come to appreciate Geno and UConn women’s basketball.
Reminds me of a elderly friend several years back on a trip to Kansas to see relatives well into the season. She was walking through the airport and people were randomly clapping. She was baffled until someone told her it was for her UConn Women's Basketball sweat shirt she was wearing.

Welcome Autumn, hope you get all you want out of your time as a Husky and more!

Reaction Score
Agree that Coombs shot held her back. But her mechanics were so bad I’m not sure her shooting could be fixed. By the time a player gets to college, it may be possible to make a minor tweak or two to their shooting motion. Coombs required a complete makeover.

So why did Uconn staff recruited Coombs again?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Try to boost a walk-on's confidence?

That’s correct. Hoops, I’m not going to engage in a long drawn out debate with you on this. Understand that Autumn came from a small private school that did not play against the top talented players in the state.

Beginning Tuesday, she’s going to be on the floor with girls that are older, bigger, stronger, faster, and more mature than she is. Four of them already know Geno’s system.

I have every confidence that she will be running and working as hard in every drill everyday as any other player, trying to impress the coaches and her new teammates.

She’s a young, raw, wide eyed 18 year old that’s experiencing everything for the first time at the college level. So yes!!! She like the other freshmen need to gain some confidence and assurance that they can play and be successful at this level and that they belong here. Paige already has that level of confidence.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So why did Uconn staff recruited Coombs again?
I’ve made this case before. If you look at Coombs’s HS highlights she checks all the boxes: great athlete, great quickness, excellent handle, good passer, ability to take people off the dribble, tremendous defender with absolute springs in her feet. She even knocks down a few 3’s.

So UConn’s coaches saw her play once or maybe twice in person. They probably observed some awkward shooting mechanics, but everything else looked great. They probably also thought they could work with Coombs to improve her shooting. Keep in mind that Mo was not a very good shooter when she got to UConn, but how she did improve as a Husky.

In the end, Coombs just couldn’t improve her shooting to the point where she could play effectively in UConn’s 4-out offense. Hopefully she will be a better fit at UGA.

Reaction Score
Let it go. She is now in the 'Clank' conference on a team that does not expect shots to go in on the first try. ;)
Not holding anything. A question was asked and answered.

Reaction Score
Just curious, which UConn transfers have a good WNBA career before and now? (not include EDD)

Reaction Score
That’s correct. Hoops, I’m not going to engage in a long drawn out debate with you on this. Understand that Autumn came from a small private school that did not play against the top talented players in the state.

Beginning Tuesday, she’s going to be on the floor with girls that are older, bigger, stronger, faster, and more mature than she is. Four of them already know Geno’s system.

I have every confidence that she will be running and working as hard in every drill everyday as any other player, trying to impress the coaches and her new teammates.

She’s a young, raw, wide eyed 18 year old that’s experiencing everything for the first time at the college level. So yes!!! She like the other freshmen need to gain some confidence and assurance that they can play and be successful at this level and that they belong here. Paige already has that level of confidence.

Nah.

I look at her as "Rudy." Though better. But still "Rudy."

And Rudy was extremely vital. The character of the team. That's what I see Autumn as. And from everything I read on her she has it and more!

Reaction Score
I feel like one night over the next 4 years after his stars get complacent during a week of practice which gets Geno annoyed, Autumn will start..message will be sent by the 5 min mark. Autumn will have played her role brilliantly to work her butt off in practice so Geno could execute the lesson..

Reaction Score
Wow, after reading the Storrs Central article, it seems like Papa Chass is a stage dad..he emailed Coach Dailey and not her? I predict some expectations will not be met on their side...after reading some other articles, it was LSU Eunice that had an offer and not LSU. Props to the staff for giving her this opportunity though!

Reaction Score
Wow, after reading the Storrs Central article, it seems like Papa Chass is a stage dad..he emailed Coach Dailey and not her? I predict some expectations will not be met on their side...after reading some other articles, it was LSU Eunice that had an offer and not LSU. Props to the staff for giving her this opportunity though!
Papa is really proud of Autumn...that we all can agree on..hopefully he will stay behind the curtain..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Holy mackerel, she got the walk on offer last Thanksgiving! Obviously the UConn WBB Program can give security lessons to the NSA and CIA. Playing senior finals games between hospital visits!!! She'll be challenged in this program, but seems to me she has the stuff.

After reading that story, I wonder who is going to enjoy Autumn’s 4 years at UConn more, her or her father? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey, I'm just a "random" poster here, I already like everything about this family. Traveling to Storrs couple times just to watch practices from 1,350 miles away very impressive. I also believe the Chassion's know some walk-ons have received scholarships from Geno in the past...a chance they're taking but IMO, if she hangs in there she will also garner one for herself.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
After reading that story, I wonder who is going to enjoy Autumn’s 4 years at UConn more, her or her father? :rolleyes:
He says she is really, really good. The question is will she be UConn good? Watching UConn practice and participating in them has opened the eyes of many a top recruit, so if she masters them as a walk on, and many have, she may turn out to be a big surprise. She has been brought up on the UConn offense so she will know it.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think if anyone is expecting her to contribute more on the court than Pulido or Lawlor, they're setting themselves up for disappointment. She's a good kid who will contribute a lot to program culture and will be a fan favorite off the bench in the last minutes of blowout games, but she's not going to make a splash on any stat lines.

Reaction Score
She seems to be well acquainted to the number 4

A 5-foot-8 guard, Chassion held a 4.0 grade-point average and was her high school's valedictorian :)

I hope we get some interesting backstory about how she was able to get this opportunity
There are articles floating around. She turned down full ride scholarship offers because she was in love with UCONN, forever. She will not be the typical " last player " on the bench, in my naive opinion. It appears she played in her state HS championship games when waylaid with Covid ( it was March so they weren't sure what it was ). This is an exciting and positive story for UCONN Lady husky basketball. Now....if there is only a season...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom