New CT Recruit | The Boneyard

New CT Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Many of the gurus in NY are saying shes the second best player in NY. Breanna being number 1. I was also told she is the most underrated junior in her class. Averaging 33.9 pts a game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Seems like the recruiting services missed the boat on her in their first go-round for 2013 based on the thread Tony C started about her. At any rate, if Geno wants her, I want her at UConn. We don't lose out on too many New York kids we recruit.

Reaction Score
I know very little about Chong, but if Geno is interested in her, so should we. UCONN needs at least one quality guard, maybe two from the 2013 class. I'm not sure if UCONN will sign three or four from that class.

Reaction Score
Very interesting, but is there news behind the op? As far as I could find, Geno made a call to her coach. Probably not an unusual event. I Googled Saniya Chong, and she seems as exciting a player as Tony claimed a while ago. I guess news about the news if any will be forthcoming. In the meantime, here is some of what my search found:

http://www.lohud.com/article/201201...s-big-jump-Williams-Lombardi-reach-milestones

Images: https://www.google.com/search?q=san...cNqPi0QH4hsWuCA&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1252&bih=556

Her inspiration: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high...d_by_memory_of_brother_8YXHYdDMF3RuSlWHvpxItJ

There seem to be a lot of exceptional young ladies who play basketball really well, and Geno and co. seem really good at finding them.

Reaction Score
Source? Link?[/quote
JS there are a # of sources! I am forgetting how to provide the link that takes you to
the sites DUH! Her name can be looked up on bing and there are numerous sources.
She is a prolific scorer with a very personal compelling story. Since your request, which I just saw,Roy Dodger provided one link<thanks> and others have started writing on her in this thread that I started. If Tony did a previous thread? I missed that though now he has posted on her.
Ira

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I heard we tried to contact her but the person answering the phone said, "Dave's not here."
Tommy's daughter is already 50.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When the class of 2013 enters college we will have on our roster:

guards:

seniors: Bria Hartley, Lauren Engeln
juniors: KML, Brianna Banks
soph: Moriah Jefferson

Adding a talented guard to be a frosh that year sounds good to me. Should we not get one from 2013 it would put real pressure on getting a couple from 2014 when
Bria and Lauren move on.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It's interesting to note that the coach has recently
upgraded their schedule....to better prepare for the state tournament.
I don't know their classification [AA...the biggest] but if so they could meet
Cicero in the Albany area in the NYS tourney.....no NYC teams allowed
till the next weekend for the Federation title.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Read the following and tell me she doesn't sound tailor made for UConn...
As prodigious a scorer as she is, Chong sees herself as a point guard, the position she will likely play at the next level. She prefers passing to scoring, but at Ossining, which she led to the NYPHSAA Class AA semifinals, she has to put up numbers in bunches, Ricci said, for the team to be successful.
“She’s not one of those kids who cares about the accolades,” said Bryan Williams, her godfather and the director of her Westchester Hoopers AAU organization. “She’s just very happy go lucky. The awards and everything are nice, but she doesn’t really care about that. She’s more into her teammates, more into going out there and having fun.”
Williams remembers a game in which the Hoopers were winning by 20 back when Chong was in fifth grade. She approached him in the fourth quarter, telling him that there was one girl who had yet to play and that Williams should put her in.
“That’s why I tell people she’s way advanced beyond her years in how she thinks,” Williams said.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
When the class of 2013 enters college we will have on our roster:

guards:

seniors: Bria Hartley, Lauren Engeln
juniors: KML, Brianna Banks
soph: Moriah Jefferson

Adding a talented guard to be a frosh that year sounds good to me. Should we not get one from 2013 it would put real pressure on getting a couple from 2014 when
Bria and Lauren move on.

I agree, a guard in 2013 is needed. Maybe two.... there are not too many years that do not include a guard or two as frosh.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If she's on Nan's site, it must be serious. :)
I think anytime Geno becomes interested in a kid this late it is pretty serious interest. I have to think at least one coach on the staff has seen her, since it's only a couple of hours by car to the Ossining area from Storrs.

JS

Reaction Score
Roy Dodger provided one link<thanks> and others have started writing on her in this thread that I started. If Tony did a previous thread?
Ira, I've heard about Saniya Chong and know she's on UConn's radar. I believe that's a recent development. However, I wouldn't go so far, without a linked or otherwise disclosed source, as to call her a "UConn recruit." I'd wait on that until I see one of the horde describe her as a "UConn recruiting target."

Nan's recruiting site includes "players whose names have been linked as being possible UConn recruits." [my emphasis]. She disclaims personal knowledge and distinguishes between those who have offers of a scholarship and those, like Saniya, in whom Nan merely understands at this time that UConn has shown interest.

I agree with Joe that UConn makes many calls to high school coaches inquiring about players. Some of these calls get reported locally, as interest from a top program like UConn can be newsworthy to local sports fans. In these cases the interest usually becomes known to Boneyarders.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that when I see a headline of a "new UConn recruit," I expect to see more behind the story and probably a linked source.

To link an article, copy the web address. Then paste it (or write a word such as "link" or "article") in your post. Then highlight what you pasted or wrote. Then look for the little chain link icon above your composition box and click on it. Paste in the web address and hit "insert" and you're done.

Alternatively, you could take a tutorial from Pap, who's not known as "The Linkster" for nothing.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
VIDEO of Saniya Chong

I don't see evidence of big hops here (not a big deal) but I do see:

- someone who is extremely comfortable handling the ball with her left hand (she's a righty) on the perimeter, in space, and on drives; not just on short layups from the left side of the basket
- someone who has a very pure jump shot and can really shoot the 3, even from deep (22 ft +)
- someone who's scrappy and has a nose for the basket (she is putting up some huge point totals so no surprise there!)

Not sure what the level of competition has been, but sounds like their coach is going to be upgrading the schedule. Moriah appears more explosive/athletic and more aggressive with the ball, while Saniya looks like she kills you with a more traditional set of moves and outstanding range. I look forward to seeing more vids of this girl to get further impressions of her game.

[edit: On listening more to the rest of the video, the opponent in the video--Archbishop Molloy--is a top 10 team in the NYC area, so that is a big deal]

JS

Reaction Score
I think anytime Geno becomes interested in a kid this late it is pretty serious interest.
It may also have to do with when somebody brings her to his attention. As Alex indicated, this player seems to have been a bit under the radar. At least until recently, when picked up by BNN (the fabled Boneyard News Network).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
VIDEO of Saniya Chong

I don't see evidence of big hops here (not a big deal) but I do see:

- someone who is extremely comfortable handling the ball with her left hand (she's a righty) on the perimeter, in space, and on drives; not just on short layups from the left side of the basket
- someone who has a very pure jump shot and can really shoot the 3, even from deep (22 ft +)
- someone who's scrappy and has a nose for the basket (she is putting up some huge point totals so no surprise there!)

Not sure what the level of competition has been, but sounds like their coach is going to be upgrading the schedule. Moriah appears more explosive/athletic and more aggressive with the ball, while Saniya looks like she kills you with a more traditional set of moves and outstanding range. I look forward to seeing more vids of this girl to get further impressions of her game.

[edit: On listening more to the rest of the video, the opponent in the video--Archbishop Molloy--is a top 10 team in the NYC area, so that is a big deal]
I get an error from the video link FYI. I don't worry too much about HS level of competition any more. Kiah saw very little good competition in HS from what I could see so I was not at all surprised that she got off to a slow start at UConn and is now showing what she can do. Geno and company have to be able to assess things about a kid that are independent of the competition they face, otherwise they would miss out on a lot of kids.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I get an error from the video link FYI. I don't worry too much about HS level of competition any more. Kiah saw very little good competition in HS from what I could see so I was not at all surprised that she got off to a slow start at UConn and is now showing what she can do. Geno and company have to be able to assess things about a kid that are independent of the competition they face, otherwise they would miss out on a lot of kids.

Hmmmm ... I tried the link again and it worked for me, not sure what could be causing the problem. It's from msgvarsity.com

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Hmmmm ... I tried the link again and it worked for me, not sure what could be causing the problem. It's from msgvarsity.com
Thanks, I did get to see the video... it's a real eye opener and I don't think that msg varsity guy is blowing smoke with his praise. I was very impressed with her athleticism and overall demeanor and obviously her scoring ability vs. a quality opponent. Found this pic of her jumping center and showing the hops (photo #14):

http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchest...s-archbishop-molloy-girls-basketball-1.856619

There is also another video of her team vs. another opponent at that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom