New Arena To Cost $45 Million | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Arena To Cost $45 Million

Reaction Score
UConn is a school that somehow found its way forward in hoops on both fronts past their wildest imaginations and then found success in a few olympic sports... then a generation or so removed from that got this idea that those kinds of program break throughs are the norm and easy and that everyone can do it if you flick some money at it.

It wasn't 'luck' that those sports took off, but the University was extremely lucky they did and that as many did in as short a period of time as they did. That's not normal.

Now they're finding that out, but seems like a pretty expensive lesson.

Reaction Score
has anyone reached out the the AD about this mess? I know people tweet at him all the time but he seems to never use his account. I was wondering if they are just so insulated that the generally believe this is a good idea. Cause i cant seem to figure out any other explanation.

Reaction Score
has anyone reached out the the AD about this mess? I know people tweet at him all the time but he seems to never use his account. I was wondering if they are just so insulated that the generally believe this is a good idea. Cause i cant seem to figure out any other explanation.
The problem here may be that the conference is pushing them to build a facility since it was a requirement of joining. My understanding was that the conference had recently accepted the idea of just playing at XL long-term, don't know if that's still true.

Reaction Score
Leaving aside the wisdom of spending money that's not there, it's just a crummy deal.

QU built adjoining hockey and basketball arenas for $52 Million. Their hockey arena seats 3300, all chairbacks. For $45 Million ten years later, we should be able to get 3500-4000 and no benches.

Reaction Score
$45M seems like an awful lot for such a cut rate facility. Colgate's Class of '65 arena was about $35M for 2,200+ seats, all chairbacks, in a glass and stone building. It included not just new locker rooms and team areas for the hockey teams, but new locker rooms and team areas for several outdoor sports as well (M&W soccer, M&W lacrosse). Instead UConn will have 500 chairbacks (out of 2,500) and renovated hockey locker rooms in a connected building.

Reaction Score
Absolutely and totally disagree with the notion that the Hockey East upgrade was poor. Cavanagh start-up is a successful venture.

I am very curious about the $22.5m Developer deal. YES, I can name 50 State University projects done this way ... and there is plenty of capacity in Municipal Finance for these deals today.

The Brand - we need to do these things very well. Yes I still believe Hockey and another ancillary sport are our POSSIBLE keys to upgrade in Conference.

You’re lawst if you think Hockey East is getting us into a P5 conference. Some of this stuff is laugh out loud funny.

Other than your personal enjoyment I’d like to hear just ONE benefit to this upgrade.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You’re lawst if you think Hockey East is getting us into a P5 conference. Some of this stuff is laugh out loud funny.

Other than your personal enjoyment I’d like to hear just ONE benefit to this upgrade.

It's tricky- UConn hockey's expenses are likely down (closer travel vs AHA), revenue is up (tickets), but then you have to factor in scholarships. The one thing I'd say towards that is AHA was likely going to impose a scholarship floor anyway, so the difference is 18 vs, say, 12.

zls44

Reaction Score
Leaving aside the wisdom of spending money that's not there, it's just a crummy deal.

QU built adjoining hockey and basketball arenas for $52 Million. Their hockey arena seats 3300, all chairbacks. For $45 Million ten years later, we should be able to get 3500-4000 and no benches.

Best comp is Bentley- they built that thing in a way more expensive part of the country for construction and got more than this proposes to get.

Reaction Score

You're correct about Hockey East doing virtually nothing for a P5 invite.

According to this website: Equity in Athletics
2016 Men's Hockey Expenses: $2,953,352
2016 Men's Hockey Revenue: $3,415,625

Reaction Score
It's tricky- UConn hockey's expenses are likely down (closer travel vs AHA), revenue is up (tickets), but then you have to factor in scholarships. The one thing I'd say towards that is AHA was likely going to impose a scholarship floor anyway, so the difference is 18 vs, say, 12.

You left out the new $45 million boondoggle that will likely cost the school closer to $70 million with the stupid lease agreement.

Hockey Is a money loser for the elite hockey schools. So of course the nitwits in charge throw more money at it. At this point Benedict would get more bang for his buck if he lit his cigars with crisp hundos.

zls44

Reaction Score
Hockey Is a money loser for the elite hockey schools.

The elite hockey schools are literally the only people who its a money maker for, so

Reaction Score
The elite hockey schools are literally the only people who its a money maker for, so
I know for a fact hockey is revenue-positive at BU. Or in some years they reinvest that money back into the program via facility/equipment upgrades, increased recruiting budget, coaching salary increases, etc.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
45 million and I read somewhere it’s going to take 4 years. Are they building Rome or a minuscule hockey arena?

Reaction Score
This is mind numbing. I wonder what the Football recruiting budget looks like. Hockey, is the only sport at present playing in a conference affiliation that makes recruiting relatively easy.

Nobody ever accused Connecticut beaurocrats of being intelligent.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Only 500 chair backs is ridiculous. If you're gunna make it small, at least make it a good facility to watch a game. This is amazing. Brand new arena with bench seating. Unbelievable.

Come on they want to rent those lovely Husky cushions that they will rent to you for a small fee.

I hate it and there should be at least a couple thousand chair backs, but this is UConn doing things half butt

Reaction Score

This is a combination of budget issues within UConn and the UConn Athletic Department and meddling by the politicians in Hartford who want to use UConn to save Hartford, specifically the XL center, allied with the locals who would like to see UConn's campus rolled back to the 1960's.

College hockey should be on campus except for maybe a special game or two a season. UConn's fate should not be tied to Hartford.

This plan does the minimum to meet Hockey East standards, makes the XL supporters happy, and does not meet the future needs of the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom