New Arena Prototype | The Boneyard

New Arena Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So in my final days as an engineering college student, I've decided to not do homework and instead create designs for a new UConn basketball arena.

Now, before the XL vs. Gampel fight comes here, all I am asking is what would you want to see the most out of a possible new home for UConn basketball? Like what unique designs in the arena, stadium seating design, outside/facade design, even court design, etc.

I'm experimenting with a 30 day free trial of Sketchup - I tried Solidworks and ProE and they weren't detailed enough for large scale designs like this. I've never used this software before, so this will likely be a rough draft.

Please give me some input and I'll incorporate it into the design. I'll share it when I'm done.

Reaction Score
I would first share a really rough draft of a stadium and then I am able to really picture what I would like in it

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
15,000 seats with the ability to add a couple thousand easily. Some kind of 'vanity' area to cater to donors away from the floor like a second level loge - keep them happy but get the kids near the court. Great areas for students close to the court. Some way to emphasize the banners. Look at the Phog and make it better.

Reaction Score
Always wanted to see an arena mirror the general look and feel of the old buildings (Boston Garden, old MSG and Chicago Stadium) while having the modern amenities and sight lines of the new places. Im a huge ballpark and arena history buff so this would be really cool.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
As far as seating goes.... I always liked the idea of having the students along the sideline, causing ruckus, rather than being stuck behind the basket. Always felt it created more of a home field advantage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Needs to be loud. Student seating along the baseline below a row of VIP boxes, remember that the students stand. Bowl seating above, relatively steep angle. Look at JerryWorld for inspiration.

Reaction Score
No open sidewalk around the arena that wastes space where good seats could go like we have at Gampel. No lights on the crowd like at Gampel, all lights pointed to the court.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Huge lighted banner signs on both sides of the arena, in national flag blue lettering with red trim on a white background: 'Welcome to Storrs, Connecticut - The Capital of College Basketball'

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Huge lighted banner signs on both sides of the arena, in national flag blue lettering with red trim on a white background: 'Welcome to Storrs, Connecticut - The Capital of College Basketball'
Come on - get it right: "College Basketball Capital of the World" or "The Mecca of College Basketball"

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Come on - get it right: "College Basketball Capital of the World" or "The Mecca of College Basketball"

I stand corrected. I like the world one.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Working wifi, so we don't have to hear those complaints from the Horde.

But definitely the students on the sides.

Reaction Score
Don't you have some senior design to be doing? Cuz thats all i have time for this year.

Reaction Score
Model after the OKC Thunder arena. Great seats everywhere in the same footprint as the XL.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Don't you have some senior design to be doing? Cuz thats all i have time for this year.
Sort of. We already built a working prototype and right now we're using CFD modeling. It's like 75% there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Offset seating.

Put 18,000 seats on one side of the building.

And put one seat on the other side. For me.

I'm sick of sitting near you f---ers. I can practically feel the germs racing out of you peasants.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Offset seating.

Put 18,000 seats on one side of the building.

And put one seat on the other side. For me.

I'm sick of sitting near you f---ers. I can practically feel the germs racing out of you peasants.
b6aa7r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC