New Anna to Transfer thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Anna to Transfer thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It beggars an examination, as opposed to blatant idolatry. Of course, everything about young people playing a team sport involves the human element. That’s not part of a good rebuttal.
Many of us have followed men’s programs closely as well and I assert that I have never seen recruiting like I’ve seen the last 5 years at UConn. I know UMD basketball men’s from about 1970- present. UMD had the best recruiter in the history of sports, Lefty Driesell. He could sell beach front property in New Mexico. He recruited players that he needed and was a serious factor in the ACC every year. Coach K ever had such issues.
Lack of true centers, players with zero chance of being big contributors for UConn, such as Coombs and Hunter. And now this obvious overcompensation we see going into next year.
These are young women with their college careers at stake. You’re the one being harsh. I’m being realistic. IMO recruiting deserves a commitment, on both sides really. It cannot be taken lightly or cavalierly.
I disagree with your statement on Lefty, he was a great recruiter, but I think the best recruiter was Jerry "Tark the Shark" Tarkanian. He could sell ice water to the Eskimos as an exotic drink, win against the NCAA in court, and got the Thomas and Mack basketball arena built when everyone said it couldn't be done.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wow, I did not see that coming. Well I guess it's a better narrative to have her leave early to turn pro than to go another college program. If this becomes trend, it may change the risk/reward analysis of European players.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I want to wish her the best of luck going forward in the pro leagues in Europe. I will surely miss this young lady, but I'm happy she didn't transfer to another team. She has experience with the pros in Poland and with what she learned the two years in Storrs should help her even more. Anna hope you shine in the Euro-League.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your statement on Lefty, he was a great recruiter, but I think the best recruiter was Jerry "Tark the Shark" Tarkanian. He could sell ice water to the Eskimos as an exotic drink, win against the NCAA in court, and got the Thomas and Mack basketball arena built when everyone said it couldn't be done.
100% definitely 1,2 in the order you choose.
Not everybody knows that Lefty signed Moses Malone before he opted to go straight to the NBA. That was during Lefty's best years. Moses would have been one of the greatest college centers ever. He was a grown man when he was 12 years old. Like LeBron. "The Lefthander would have collected some hardware".

Reaction Score
So did she just not find a fit at any other school? With so many players on the move and a plethora of schools in the U.S. you'd think something somewhere would have been appealing. Was entering the transfer portal just to kick the tires while leaning towards going pro in Europe?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not surprised especially after this last year of separation. I sort of wonder about other Europeans, especially those in the transfer portal as 'grad transfers' who would appear to have professional talent even if not WNBA talent. If they are seriously looking at transferring, they must truly be interested in a post grad degree.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wondering if there's a travel/covid angle here? If Anna were to travel home before any school's summer session, would she be able to return? If she transferred, the idea of being separated by family for another long stretch might have been a tipping point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom