Nevada with a big game vs. #21 Oregon State tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nevada with a big game vs. #21 Oregon State tonight

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How on earth did UConn nearly get outscored in an entire half by that team?
Good question. They didn't look like the same team tonight. Nevada struggled getting a good shot, stopping the inside shot, and contesting the 3-pointers. The Wolfpack shot only .274 overall and .200 from the arc. In contrast, the Beavers shot .537 overall and .543 (13-24) from distance. Nevada lost by 40 and was outscored by 33 from the arc. OSU is shooting a stellar .462 from the arc for the season (6 games).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good question. They didn't look like the same team tonight. Nevada struggled getting a good shot, stopping the inside shot, and contesting the 3-pointers. The Wolfpack shot only .274 overall and .200 from the arc. In contrast, the Beavers shot .537 overall and .543 (13-24) from distance. Nevada lost by 40 and was outscored by 33 from the arc. OSU is shooting a stellar .462 from the arc for the season (6 games).

It seems that often, when a weaker team play's above their level to give UConn a good game, they seem to have a poorer game the next time out. I would posit that this may be due at least in part to the emotional exhaustion that a team may feel. I am sure that was part of MSU losing to SC in last year's final. Maybe I am seeing something that is not there?

Reaction Score
OMG Oregon St. is better than us! Oh wait, let me get my tongue out of my cheek

Reaction Score

result was to be expected..................Nevada played out of their minds at home in front of 7,000 plus against a tired and disinterested UConn team so a let down was almost inevitable..............most teams play their best against UConn............... it's just their best is rarely good enough to matter............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It seems that often, when a weaker team play's above their level to give UConn a good game, they seem to have a poorer game the next time out. I would posit that this may be due at least in part to the emotional exhaustion that a team may feel. I am sure that was part of MSU losing to SC in last year's final. Maybe I am seeing something that is not there?
I don't think you are seeing something that is not there. When Nevada played Uconn they had lost three games out of six. Look at how Tulane played Uconn last season and how hard USF plays against them and then loses to or struggles with an unranked team. Some teams get sky high for Uconn. Also, see Charliebball's post.

Reaction Score
Um, you guys have a short memory. ;)

Amanda Levens is Scott's counterpart. We saw her 3 days ago.

bde472e2-c023-4509-a98e-90f8f0dbf79a-large16x9_levens.PNG

This photo is begging for a "Caption this".

"Did we scare some Boneyarder's?"

Reaction Score
This photo is begging for a "Caption this".

"Did we scare some Boneyarder's?"
It's never a good idea to put too much emphasis on comparative scores. To many variables involved on any given night. Notice I said TOO MUCH emphasis. It can have some value if we really know the teams involved and can recognize it their game they played was average, below average or above average. Teams often have players who play the game of their life on a given night and that would certainly affect the perspective of the teams actual strength. The opposite also holds true as well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I think Levens learned from CTT that scouting is important and how to get her team to play hard even though they may be underdogs. The problem is getting your team to play hard every game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't think that Nevada was short on effort last night, but they may have been tired or suffered a letdown after the UConn game. In terms of scouting, they should have done a better job on the 3-point shooters. Maybe they were too concerned about the inside game, but they got killed on ball reversals and passes back out from the paint. I suspect that their effort against UConn may be their best of the year. Having 7,000 screaming fans on your side can do wonders.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
result was to be expected...Nevada played out of their minds at home in front of 7,000 plus against a tired and disinterested UConn team so a let down was almost inevitable....most teams play their best against UConn..... it's just their best is rarely good enough to matter..
To Nevada's credit, they weren't intimidated and they kept playing hard. We've seen a lot of teams give up after falling behind by 20-30.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting OSU is better than UConn. Comparative scores need to be taken with a large grain of salt. But I think it is evident that OSU is a solid team despite heavy personnel losses from last year. Rueck has built a good program. Players leave, someone else steps up.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like Pivec just from reading her bio: she is the highest ranked player ever recruited to OSU and, as a freshman, set the #4 OSU mark in the javelin throw. That reminds me of Kendra Wecker from KSU, who was national class in the javelin

She's strong. In the game against ND she was continually outmuscling Irish players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting OSU is better than UConn. Comparative scores need to be taken with a large grain of salt. But I think it is evident that OSU is a solid team despite heavy personnel losses from last year. Rueck has built a good program. Players leave, someone else steps up.
I’d like to see OSU play Louisville, for example. Having seen OSU and UCLA in person, I’ll be curious about their conference games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, it's against a bad Utah St. team, but Oregon St. is shooting 72% from the floor and leading 41-18 midway thru the 2nd quarter. Same tourney in Hawaii.

edited--halftime now, OSU slipped to 69%, but Kalmer is killing their % w/ 0-6; the rest of the team is 22-27. That's fairly efficient. 49-18 lead. Utah St. shooting 21% from the floor and 9% from 3. Like I noted yesterday the Beavers have lost against their 2 toughest opponents but are crushing everybody else they've played.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OSU slipped to 60% in the final boxscore, about 70% if you exclude Kalmer's 1-10. The 3-ball wasn't working so well tonight, 6-17.

In the other game, Nevada took a 32-14 halftime lead and won by 14 over Montana State.

I didn't feel like making the long drive tonight, so I stayed in Kaanapali. I enjoyed last night's game and got a better sense of both Nevada and Oregon State. I'd say that half the fans were from Oregon.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay, it's against a bad Utah St. team, but Oregon St. is shooting 72% from the floor and leading 41-18 midway thru the 2nd quarter. Same tourney in Hawaii.

edited--halftime now, OSU slipped to 69%, but Kalmer is killing their % w/ 0-6; the rest of the team is 22-27. That's fairly efficient. 49-18 lead. Utah St. shooting 21% from the floor and 9% from 3. Like I noted yesterday the Beavers have lost against their 2 toughest opponents but are crushing everybody else they've played.

I wouldn't say that they crushed North Dakota. It was a one-point game in the 4th quarter.

OSU's nonconference schedule is not very revealing of their strength and, frankly, won't help them at all in the eyes of the selection committee. Outside of the competitive losses to Notre Dame and Duke, it's questionable whether any of their opponents will even finish top 100.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd say that half the fans were from Oregon.

OSU fans are noted for traveling very well to the Pac 12 Tourney since it's been in Seattle, but you can't exactly get in your car and drive north up I-5 to get to Hawaii.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh you contrarian Plebe. Yes, they struggled in their first game and only won by 10, and probably the game was closer than that. Since then they've won games by 57, 53, 40 and 39. Admittedly weak teams. Would've been really nice if they could've pick up a win against either ND or Duke. Plenty of chances for quality wins once conference play starts. Finish OOC w/ San Jose St., Savannah St., UC Santa Barbara and UC Davis. Not sure any of those games are gonna help their RPI any.

UC Davis is 7-0, but the rest of those teams are bottom dwellers it looks like. UC Davis beat Wazzu by 15 in the season opener.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oh you contrarian Plebe. Yes, they struggled in their first game and only won by 10, and probably the game was closer than that. Since then they've won games by 57, 53, 40 and 39. Admittedly weak teams. Would've been really nice if they could've pick up a win against either ND or Duke. Plenty of chances for quality wins once conference play starts. Finish OOC w/ San Jose St., Savannah St., UC Santa Barbara and UC Davis. Not sure any of those games are gonna help their RPI any.

UC Davis is 7-0, but the rest of those teams are bottom dwellers it looks like. UC Davis beat Wazzu by 15 in the season opener.
Oh, my bad, I forgot about the UC Davis game. Yes, that's a good team, I'd say top 100 for sure and possibly even top 50.

Reaction Score

Seems Nevada met a better defensive and offensive team than Uconn---stats don't lie, do they??

Reaction Score
Oh, my bad, I forgot about the UC Davis game. Yes, that's a good team, I'd say top 100 for sure and possibly even top 50.
Just think there are only 260 Div 1 teams below them---top 1/3 for sure, as you pointed out, could be top 1/6th. Without a doubt they are closing in on UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom