Needed one time out to stop the bleeding | The Boneyard

Needed one time out to stop the bleeding

Reaction Score
Around the 7 minute point in the second half. Ollie needed to regroup

Reaction Score
How about cutting the game to a 1 point deficit with Diarra causing havoc on D, then subbing Onuorah in and seeing a subsequent 8-0 Zona run? I didn’t get that. Diarra was our spark, then he made way for an absolute scrub. That really baffled me.

The team looked improved, but not as much as Ollie was likely hoping.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How about cutting the game to a 1 point deficit with Diarra causing havoc on D, then subbing Onuorah in and seeing a subsequent 8-0 Zona run? I didn’t get that. Diarra was our spark, then he made way for an absolute scrub. That really baffled me.

The lack of Diarra, who has been our best big, was baffling tonight. Maybe KO stuck with DO to match Ayton’s size? Diarra was great when he was in there. Whaley was totally not ready for this stage. Got the start and did nothing but foul

Reaction Score
The lack of Diarra, who has been our best big, was baffling tonight. Maybe KO stuck with DO to match Ayton’s size? Diarra was great when he was in there. Whaley was totally not ready for this stage. Got the start and did nothing but foul
DO doesn’t even go straight up. His arm is always bent when defending a shot, which is why he’s either fouling or just allowing easy buckets. I feel bad just piling onto the kid, but he is absolutely awful. Carlton, Whaley, and Diarra have fouling issues too, but they at least provide in other areas. Onuorah needs to get out of the rotation.

C

Chief00

Cobb is the guy who has the talent and body to do so much more but he can never put it all together. He fouled too much and while he’s potentially our best passer, he doesn’t understand you don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty. Quite frankly, very frustrating.

Reaction Score

It was because he got backed down by Ayton and just couldn't hold his ground.

Reaction Score
Cobb is the guy who has the talent and body to do so much more but he can never put it all together. He fouled too much and while he’s potentially our best passer, he doesn’t understand you don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty. Quite frankly, very frustrating.

Agree he has the game to be good but he needs to slow it down, make simple passes back out instead of spinning and throwing it somewhere just because. His moves to the basket are solid, he can score it but he needs to relax. Plays tough but fouls way too much, needs to move his feet a lot better. There's something there but between fouling and getting tired he can't give us even 6-8 minutes straight ever as of now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Around the 7 minute point in the second half. Ollie needed to regroup

He did. He called a great timeout sometime between the 5-7 minute mark. So much so that I said to myself "Thats not a KO timeout" And it was after a stop no less, and out of the TO we ran a nice play to get Adams to the rim and score. He called it because we were down 5 and the guys were gassed.

Reaction Score
Yes that is where A coach comes in. Let’s see him develop game to game. The talent as you said is evident. The rest is up to KO and staff.

Reaction Score
Agree he has the game to be good but he needs to slow it down, make simple passes back out instead of spinning and throwing it somewhere just because. His moves to the basket are solid, he can score it but he needs to relax. Plays tough but fouls way too much, needs to move his feet a lot better. There's something there but between fouling and getting tired he can't give us even 6-8 minutes straight ever as of now.

But he is totally lost on defense. A real problem.

Reaction Score
But he is totally lost on defense. A real problem.

He's not really lost he's like so many others we've had, he's slow to react if at all. He's Enoch right now although I think he knows where to be but is somewhat "lazy".

It didn't help that Whaley doesn't know how to keep his hands and body off too so in turn early foul trouble. They all foul too much, the bigs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He did. He called a great timeout sometime between the 5-7 minute mark. So much so that I said to myself "Thats not a KO timeout" And it was after a stop no less, and out of the TO we ran a nice play to get Adams to the rim and score. He called it because we were down 5 and the guys were gassed.

I noticed the same and was also surprised. Sometimes I feel like he forgets he's the coach...he's watching and thinking, "damn, those guys need somebody to call a time out"....keeps watching.

August_West

Reaction Score
I noticed the same and was also surprised. Sometimes I feel like he forgets he's the coach...he's watching and thinking, "damn, those guys need somebody to call a time out"....keeps watching.

I have absolutely no issues with the way KO coached that game last night. That game was there for the taking, we just couldnt overcome horrible "money possession" (where we could tie or take lead and put Arizona in game pressure) empty trips a bunch of bad turnovers, and some stupid hot shooting from Zona in 2nd 1/2. some of those 3's were DEEP and while some close outs were definitely slow, those guys werent wide open either. 7-10. in 2nd half. Ball game.

Reaction Score

No need to show the public you have handle every time you touch the ball.

Reaction Score
He's not really lost he's like so many others we've had, he's slow to react if at all. He's Enoch right now although I think he knows where to be but is somewhat "lazy".

It didn't help that Whaley doesn't know how to keep his hands and body off too so in turn early foul trouble. They all foul too much, the bigs.

I watched him a good part of yesterday. He is even lost on offense.While other bigs try to set up in the low post, he was dancing around the 3 point line, and then buzzed around like a bumble bee in a pointless circle, came back out to the top of the key without even trying to set up a pick. It was clear he has no idea what he is doing in the offense. It is disconcerting that a player could be so lost on offense at this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have absolutely no issues with the way KO coached that game last night. That game was there for the taking, we just couldnt overcome horrible "money possession" (where we could tie or take lead and put Arizona in game pressure) empty trips a bunch of bad turnovers, and some stupid hot shooting from Zona in 2nd 1/2. some of those 3's were DEEP and while some close outs were definitely slow, those guys werent wide open either. 7-10. in 2nd half. Ball game.

Except for some of his subs, I agree. They came out with intensity for a change and played very good D in the first half. If that game didn't leave Husky fans encouraged for the Auburn game, I don't think they are being fair.

People keep saying we need better players, and to be an "elite" team with a chance to go deep in March, yes we do. But these players are perfectly capable of winning 20+ games and getting in.

August_West

Reaction Score
If that game didn't leave Husky fans encouraged for the Auburn game, I don't think they are being fair.

Im encouraged on how we competed last night. The only thing that gives me pause about tommorrow is the last time we played a top 10 caliber team close for 30 minutes and then got rained down on with ridiculous threes, we went in the tank against Arkansas.

Auburn, win or lose will show a ton about the mental makeup of this team.

I love the fight they had last night. Will they sustain it?

Reaction Score
He called one with about 2:30 remaining too and we were down 11. Instead of drawing up an inbounds play to get an open look and cut the lead to single digits quickly, we ran our 1 inbounds play: “chuck the ball over the top and hope our guard catches it.”

Reaction Score
He called one with about 2:30 remaining too and we were down 11. Instead of drawing up an inbounds play to get an open look and cut the lead to single digits quickly, we ran our 1 inbounds play: “chuck the ball over the top and hope our guard catches it.”

Or, they did run an inbounds play, but it was covered and didn't work. The pass to the midcourt happened dangerously close to a 5 second call.

Reaction Score
Yeah I have little to no beef with how KO coached last night.

I thought he used his time outs fine, maybe you could nit pick here. But the coaching staff's scheme for dealing with Ayton, both on offense and on defense, was dang near close to perfect.

C

Chief00

I thought he used his time outs fine, maybe you could nit pick here. But the coaching staff's scheme for dealing with Ayton, both on offense and on defense, was dang near close to perfect.

The only problem is that Kerch this plan on Ayton left the 3’s open, the killer is he is smart and a good passer so he identifies defenses.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yes, it was a great plan, because it was Calhoun's plan for dealing with Shaquile O'Neal. KO copied it and it worked quite well. Ayton's passing ability makes him tougher to take completely away, but he doesn't have Shaq's scoring ability near the rim.

Reaction Score
Or, they did run an inbounds play, but it was covered and didn't work. The pass to the midcourt happened dangerously close to a 5 second call.
Connecticut vs. #18 Arizona (M Basketball) Fast forward to 1:27:43 and tell me what kind of inbounds play that is. I see Vital attempt(?) a screen but set it on air. I see Terry standing doing nothing. I see Cobb waiting to set a screen for Jalen but bailing early. A mediocre varsity basketball team could have covered that.

Reaction Score
Connecticut vs. #18 Arizona (M Basketball) Fast forward to 1:27:43 and tell me what kind of inbounds play that is. I see Vital attempt(?) a screen but set it on air. I see Terry standing doing nothing. I see Cobb waiting to set a screen for Jalen but bailing early. A mediocre varsity basketball team could have covered that.

I see Cobb missing a screen to free Jalen. That's what I see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom