Needed next year: one transfer guard | The Boneyard

Needed next year: one transfer guard

PvP

Reaction Score
Thinking way too far ahead, all this year's injuries and illness have me looking at how exposed we will be next year at the guard position when E and CW move on.

While the quality of a back court of Paige, Charmer and Azzi is dazzling, the only backup would be Nika.

I think Geno was hoping to lure Kiki Rice as a 22-23 commit, but she is UCLA-bound and we will have to look to the transfer portal for much needed help for one year until Shade and KK come to fill the gap the following year.

But for a potential transfer, the very greatness of our "Big Three" could be a significant hindrance. How much time could she expect? On the other hand, our need for insurance against injury has to be a great concern.

Reaction Score
Agree completely that the role Kiki could have filled with us, which I viewed as more of a 2/3, but some at PG if Paige or Nika were injured, is why we need to try for a short term rental for that role in a transfer. Basically a reliable already ready quality backup to Azzi and Caroline. As others have mentioned Abby Myers at Princeton is interesting, and of course far more prospects will enter the transfer portal when the season is completed.

Defensively we may have good options at the 3 in Ayanna and hopefully Audrey, both of whom I fell would be quite good guarding 3's, but offensively they might not be a good fit, so perimeter shooting is a trait that would be important.

Reaction Score
Geno has said his first consideration when looking at a potential transfer is her motivation for transferring. Dorka wanted to play at UConn because she wanted to improve her game. She is here. Mir wanted more minutes so she transferred out. A player who is hesitant to play back-up is not even going to get considered by Geno. So any player intimidated by our "bIg three" is not going to be considered by Geno, they won't have a chance to decline an offer. Anybody he makes an offer to is going to be motivated to compete for a national championship coming off the bench.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a small, fast, pesky defense, drive to the basket guard to complement Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Caroline.
I'd like to se a tall, fast pesky defense, drive to the basket, bomb from 3 guard to complement Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Caroline.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't that what we thought at the beginning of this year, before the injury bug bit us? You can never have too many good guards.
UCONN WBB has thought about adding a guard via transfer for the the last few season and has only been successful in adding Evina Westbrook. Last season DiJonai Carrington listed UCONN as a possible destination before ultimately settling on Baylor. The season prior to last Danni Williams of Texas A&M visited and was considering UCONN before finally settling on a graduate transfer year at Texas.
Looking forward there are only two guard of any significance currently in the transfer portal Abby Meyers of Princeton and Jasmine Powell formerly of Minnesota. Meyers would be idea IMO.

Reaction Score
We need the type of guard who would play for Vic? Those speedy kids who can get to the rim whenever she touches the ball. That would be a perfect guard to switch things up and be a game changer off the bench. Quick off the bounce, a pest on defense, and athletic.

What we need, is Moriah Jefferson. LOL

Reaction Score
Thinking way too far ahead, all this year's injuries and illness have me looking at how exposed we will be next year at the guard position when E and CW move on.

While the quality of a back court of Paige, Charmer and Azzi is dazzling, the only backup would be Nika.

I think Geno was hoping to lure Kiki Rice as a 22-23 commit, but she is UCLA-bound and we will have to look to the transfer portal for much needed help for one year until Shade and KK come to fill the gap the following year.

But for a potential transfer, the very greatness of our "Big Three" could be a significant hindrance. How much time could she expect? On the other hand, our need for insurance against injury has to be a great concern.
Why do so many refer to Nika as a back-up? She is a starter. Even if she doesn’t start, do you see Geno not giving her significant play time? Barring injury, UConn is loaded at guard for years to come.

Reaction Score
I'd like to se a tall, fast pesky defense, drive to the basket, bomb from 3 guard to complement Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Caroline.
I just don't agree. We have big guards. Being in the Big East, I'd like a smaller guard too that can really go after those little pesky BE guards. I am picturing a Hartley, MoJeff, Lorin Dixon, Danger type guard...

Reaction Score
We need the type of guard who would play for Vic? Those speedy kids who can get to the rim whenever she touches the ball. That would be a perfect guard to switch things up and be a game changer off the bench. Quick off the bounce, a pest on defense, and athletic.

What we need, is Moriah Jefferson. LOL
Even a lorin Dixon would be nice. No not as a starter but as a backup

PvP

Reaction Score
Why? We will have Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline....at least four... then you have a number of players who can play multiple positions.... the guard will be needed the following year....
You seem to think that Aubrey and/or Yanna could play guard in case of injury or illness, sorry I just don't see it.

And the following year we will still have PB, Caroline Ducharme, and Nika PLUS the two incoming guards Shade and KK so I think you have your years mixed up.

Reaction Score
I think the "Silent Assassin" works for me, and fits her personality. I forget who came up with that but should give that person kudos.
It was Pheesa’s nickname at UConn. Tough moniker to live up to.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a small, fast, pesky defense, drive to the basket guard to complement Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Caroline.
how small would you like her to be?.......:rolleyes::)

Reaction Score

I don't bother with those we didn't get. If and only IF Geno looks for a Guard in The Portal, let us be specific forget the we want one like this or than. Who, who can fill the hole should one of the 3 you mention isn't able to compete, or if for nothing more than rest, who is that? The case could be sold on who you will be playing with and a bit of a guarantee of PT. With the RIGHT guard, that guarantee could be made.
However, with reality setting in, Muhl/NIKA at years end, next year be equal to any guard Uconn may bring in and she is already Uconn trained.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that Caroline Ducharme is perfectly unambiguous, and is concise as well.

With regard to the transfer portal, I agree that we should be interested in a guard with general guard skills who can play at a UConn level, if such a player is available via transfer. However, don't forget that next year we should have Aubrey back, and if she has developed a reasonable jump shot, she should be ideal for a 2/3 position as a backup to Caroline. She will certainly provide the kind of speed and defense that we don't really have on this year's roster, apart from Christyn.

@jonack: I don't think Dorka will leave, and don't forget that we have two fairly big players coming in, including one who can jump through the ceiling, by all accounts. And we should not rule out further development by Piath and Amari. I think the front court is a low priority for transfers-in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom