Need to shake things up | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Need to shake things up

Reaction Score
I love having Andre on the floor, but we can't afford to have two non-scorers out there at once. If Newton continues to improve, then we're okay, but otherwise teams are playing 5-on-3 when we're on offense. When Andre was dishing and also crashing the boards he brought more value, but he's not getting as many offense rebounds, and he's not rebounding and helping in the lane on defense as much either. He's spending too much time on the perimeter, allowing teams to simply ignore him and double someone else.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind Jackson off the bench with either Clingan or Joey C in his place. Cut Alleyne’s minutes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We were at our best with AJ on the floor. It's up to Hurley to cover his and everyone else's deficiencies.

Every opponent is sagging off AJ and doubling either Sanogo or Hawkins. I'd like to see AJ post up more often vs smaller players. From there he demands defensive attention, can make more of those shots or get the rebound and he can pass out of that spot. By moving him around (which he does on his own) he can create openings for others and get a few more shots for himself. Today's back door lob was a good example of him being a threat by moving.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind Jackson off the bench with either Clingan or Joey C in his place. Cut Alleyne’s minutes.
Just to be clear, you're advocating we remove Jackson from the starting lineup after that performance today?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, you're advocating we remove Jackson from the starting lineup after that performance today?
Based on a trend, based on Big East play, yes. Not just one half against the worst team with their best player being possibly hurt. Let’s see how he does Tuesday and Saturday. Maybe he turned the corner. Hopefully because we need it.

Reaction Score
Based on a trend, based on Big East play, yes. Not just one half against the worst team with their best player being possibly hurt. Let’s see how he does Tuesday and Saturday. Maybe he turned the corner. Hopefully because we need it.
Fair enough, I think it was a crazy suggestion before today, but especially dumb after what we just watched against Georgetown. I get the offense is a struggle but we need the defense he's bringing on the floor as much as possible

Reaction Score
Fair enough, I think it was a crazy suggestion before today, but especially dumb after what we just watched against Georgetown. I get the offense is a struggle but we need the defense he's bringing on the floor as much as possible
Plus the rebounding, the loose balls, the assists, the leadership...

Reaction Score
I think that’s fair. Jackson brought a ton to the table today- not sure we would have won without him- but that’s an undisciplined basketball team with a terrible coach that’s competitive because of its talent alone. Ewing isn’t good enough to be able to fully exploit the “Andre Island” defense but other coaches are / will be, so Hurley will need to continue to adjust (and is starting to already).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This defense yes. But he had been wild and erratic on D. Hurley clearly talked to him and asked him to focus on straight shutdown man D, and he was superb. But he didn’t defend like that the last several games.

Reaction Score
I would play Hawkins and Newton as guards with Karaban and Jackson up front. Jackson should be closer to the hoop for short range shots, rebounding and facilitating.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We were at our best with AJ on the floor. It's up to Hurley to cover his and everyone else's deficiencies.

Every opponent is sagging off AJ and doubling either Sanogo or Hawkins. I'd like to see AJ post up more often vs smaller players. From there he demands defensive attention, can make more of those shots or get the rebound and he can pass out of that spot. By moving him around (which he does on his own) he can create openings for others and get a few more shots for himself. Today's back door lob was a good example of him being a threat by moving.
This. If Jackson can’t draw a defender out to him, it makes no sense to leave him standing around outside the arc. This. If Jackson can’t draw a defender out to him, it makes no sense to leave him standing around outside the arc. He needs to be moving the whole possession and forcing his defender to stay with him.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This. If Jackson can’t draw a defender out to him, it makes no sense to leave him standing around outside the arc. This. If Jackson can’t draw a defender out to him, it makes no sense to leave him standing around outside the arc. He needs to be moving the whole possession and forcing his defender to stay with him.
He should talk with Karaban. Karaban does a great job moving without the ball and he does it without the intent to score most of the time. It frees him up for putbacks and easy passes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It’s actually on Hurley putting Jackson into these positions. Still think we need to go double big and move Karaban to the three or start Alleyne

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom