Need a favor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need a favor

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it time to crank up the ol' Boneyard voting machine? Who did that? Dr. Dos?! Get this kid 10 million votes overnight.
Voteamatic 2000. Hahaha I haven’t thought about that in years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Victoria is up to 118 now. How many votes does it take to win this thing?

Reaction Score
My niece was a state champion swimmer so I know what it takes. Come on Boneyard we can do better than this!!!

Reaction Score
In my nearly 60 years of providing this board with hand-crafted artisanal postings, I have yet to ask for a favor.

Until now - a friend of our family is up for athlete of the month at a local high school. My daughter has been on teams with this kid and she’s just a great, great kid.

Swimming is a hard-ass sport and there’s no hiding when you get beaten - this kid is not the greatest swimmer, but she shows up for practice six days a week and has for the past 10-12 years. I would kinda like to see her win.

If you could vote for her via liking this tweet, I would appreciate it.

Done.

CL82

Reaction Score
My niece was a state champion swimmer so I know what it takes. Come on Boneyard we can do better than this!!!
If we need more votes fishy should re-post on the woman’s board. I’m sure they’d be glad to hop in on this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
U win ... she is gonna win easy, Two to one over the next girl.

But why is Arlington HS - inland from Poughkeepsie and not on the river The Admirals? must be the alliteration thing. cool football uniforms

It never made any sense, but you inspired me to look up the answer. It makes less sense now.

So they started off as the Maroons which actually did make sense given that the school colors were maroon and gold. Eventually, the name changed to the “Uptowners”….which make absolutely no sense given that there is no town. There’s no up or down.

In 1961, the new high school opened and they likened it to the launching a new ship and used that tortured analogy to intro the new nickname, the Admirals.

At the end of the day, I think you’re right…it’s the alliteration.

Reaction Score
You got it.

And agreed, swimming IS a hard ass sport. I was basically the mascot on my high school team in 11th and 12th grade, and we had a couple guys good enough to get invites to the Olympic program. Those dudes were freaking iron men.....both competed in the breast stroke and 400 IM events. The 400 IM is what separates those that are merely good at the sport from those that are phenomenal. It's a brutal race.

Of course the 500 Free ain't exactly a picnic. I analogized it to the 3K I used to compete in for our track team. It's one of those events that looks a hell of a lot slower than it is.

Reaction Score
It never made any sense, but you inspired me to look up the answer. It makes less sense now.

So they started off as the Maroons which actually did make sense given that the school colors were maroon and gold. Eventually, the name changed to the “Uptowners”….which make absolutely no sense given that there is no town. There’s no up or down.

In 1961, the new high school opened and they likened it to the launching a new ship and used that tortured analogy to intro the new nickname, the Admirals.

At the end of the day, I think you’re right…it’s the alliteration.

my alltime favorite High School name has been (until I find one more humorous) ... the Lenox High School Millionaires. What??? Of course,, that has some sense of the town's perception. But it is hillarious to the rest of Berkshire County Massachusetts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You got it.

And agreed, swimming IS a hard ass sport. I was basically the mascot on my high school team in 11th and 12th grade, and we had a couple guys good enough to get invites to the Olympic program. Those dudes were freaking iron men.....both competed in the breast stroke and 400 IM events. The 400 IM is what separates those that are merely good at the sport from those that are phenomenal. It's a brutal race.

Of course the 500 Free ain't exactly a picnic. I analogized it to the 3K I used to compete in for our track team. It's one of those events that looks a hell of a lot slower than it is.

My kid swims and is very good - generally, she’s a sprinter with the exception of the backstroke where she somehow is very effective at the 200 back.

She’s on the smallish side so she loses a bit off the blocks and she’s taking more strokes to go the same distance, so she has to make up for it with a bit of fury and a really compact flip turn.

Victoria is the kid who shows up on the Friday night session of a weekend meet - that’s where the 400 IM, the 500 and the 1650 happen. My daughter….has not seen a Friday session in many a year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
my alltime favorite High School name has been (until I find one more humorous) ... the Lenox High School Millionaires. What??? Of course,, that has some sense of the town's perception. But it is hillarious to the rest of Berkshire County Massachusetts.

There’s another Millionaires in Pennsylvania - a friend of ours was the AD there for a while. (Williamsburg, maybe?)

My favorite is one from West Virginia.

The Poca High School Poca Dots.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The 400 IM is what separates those that are merely good at the sport from those that are phenomenal. It's a brutal race.

200 'flyer here . . . I'd have rather swum the 400 IM or 1650, easier to train for!

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Not an HS, but I've got one that deserves at least an honorable mention. I live in a county north of the ATL where the only city is named Cumming. Would you believe the city's elementary school mascot is the Cougars? Yup, the Cumming Cougars.

CL82

Reaction Score
I always liked the name the village of suffering in New York at the New York New Jersey border. I always wonder was village of the damned taken so this was their second choice

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The Most Offensive Team Nicknames - Roughing The Passer

I always thought the RISD nickname was a joke . . .

Reaction Score
Yep it’s the Village of Suffern. My kid had a bunch of AAU games up in that area.

(I actually thought that I deleted that post - not sure what happened.)
My parents had friends who lived in Suffern when I was growing up. My siblings and I always called it "Suffering" and my parents would correct us and tell us it's "Suffern". Until they just finally gave up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I always liked the name the village of suffering in New York at the New York New Jersey border. I always wonder was village of the damned taken so this was their second choice
I've always thought their mascot should be either "Catfish" or "Succotash."

PS - Did you get autocorrected from "Suffern?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom