Need 2 more guards | The Boneyard

Need 2 more guards

Reaction Score
Seeing all sorts of posts in the MAL thread about him being scared off by PT concerns, Vital worried about PT, and that we are fine at guard. I seriously don't understand what's going on and what people are thinking. We have all sorts of concerns at guard and need to bring in 2 guards for this class.

Reaction Score
Sadly, our concerns run much deeper than going 4 deep at the guard position. Serious question, how many on here have become bigger fans of the women this season? At least they pass the eye test. This past season was an absolute atrocity with few signs of its end.

Reaction Score
Seeing all sorts of posts in the MAL thread about him being scared off by PT concerns, Vital worried about PT, and that we are fine at guard. I seriously don't understand what's going on and what people are thinking. We have all sorts of concerns at guard and need to bring in 2 guards for this class.
Super- even if we don't bring in another guard I think we'll be fine. Yes AG is coming off an injury but he should be good to go. It's a whole new world now with what these kids want. They want to start as freshman and some have NBA dreams that are being drilled into them by family etc...

I'm sure Chillious was brought here to bring in some players that KO wants. I love that Harris is being recruited by Mich St and Cincinnati. Those two coaches look for toughness which is whatwe need to bring back the Husky way. I feel good about Harris coming here. I want kids that want to earn their time-Vital sure did and I'd rather have him than MAL that's for sure.
Next year will be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do with some new blood and attitude.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm sure wherever MAL goes, he'll go somewhere with a backcourt at least as good as UConn's.

Not buying that spin.

I mean I see the excuse spin, and dont overall disagree that there is other crap at play here, but Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert is a pretty formidable duo. There are not many teams in the country that have two players together that good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have Jalen Adams and a kid whose arm has come off twice in the last four games he's played.

I'm going to have to disagree there.

Reaction Score
I mean I see the excuse spin, and dont overall disagree that there is other crap at play here, but Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert is a pretty formidable duo. There are not many teams in the country that have two players together that good.

We need another guard now for sure, 2 would even be better the best plan for that would just be a solid 5th grad transfer so not to make an '18 shy away from us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have Jalen Adams and a kid whose arm has come off twice in the last four games he's played.

I'm going to have to disagree there.

And nearly every other team manages to bring in guys at MAL's level and stash them on the bench. Kemba didn't start, very few freshmen do except out of necessity. Top 5 guys, yeah, they play. But guys like MAL should expect to be reserves until junior year.

Reaction Score
And nearly every other team manages to bring in guys at MAL's level and stash them on the bench. Kemba didn't start, very few freshmen do except out of necessity. Top 5 guys, yeah, they play. But guys like MAL should expect to be reserves until junior year.
He's a top 40 ranked player...definitely doesn't expect to be a reserve until junior year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a top 40 ranked player...definitely doesn't expect to be a reserve until junior year

The two point guards we have now were higher ranked than him. Any Reserve guard is going to play a lot here, and Gilbert is an injury away from making MAL a starter.

In any event, we need live bodies. I don't want to go through another season like the last.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm sure wherever MAL goes, he'll go somewhere with a backcourt at least as good as UConn's.

Not buying that spin.

But it's not the other side of the coin where kids don't 'respond to Ollie' or 'Ollie can retain kids because of his coaching style'. Because this kid never even got here.

So maybe, the Glen Miller thing has legs. Also, maybe it's a result of the god awful product they put on the floor this year. I bet other programs are negatively recruiting the hell out of UCONN for that.

Reaction Score
Losing MAL is a huge blow, kid is going to be special....

This program has now gotten knock to the mat....

Last time this happen Kevin Ollie was able to get this program off the mat and fight back, I am hoping the same results happened in the very near future, really upset about losing MAL, that should never happen, I get the other 2.

Reaction Score
Losing MAL is a huge blow, kid is going to be special....

"Special" has gotta be the most overused word on this board. What is it that makes him special vis-a-vis every other high level guard they go after? I've never once seen a video of him where I thought "Holy ____ we absolutely have to have this kid." And you won't find a post of me fawning over him before he asked out so I've been consistent on this.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
To the recruiting guys here,

What are the chances Eric Ayala reclassifies to 2017? Since Syracuse is rumored to be pursuing Tremont Waters, could we swing in late for Ayala?

EDIT: Or does Glenn Miller's rapport with Putnam Science Academy throw that out the door?

Reaction Score
I know Chillious has a good reputation for recruiting, but did anyone look at Washington? Four years prior to him arriving: 100-41, during his coaching stint: 79-83. Some may say it is Romar, but he was there before and after, did he suddenly become a bad coach? Hope this guy is a recruiting changer, but a red flag has to also be considered from the above.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"Special" has gotta be the most overused word on this board. What is it that makes him special vis-a-vis every other high level guard they go after? I've never once seen a video of him where I thought "Holy ____ we absolutely have to have this kid." And you won't find a post of me fawning over him before he asked out so I've been consistent on this.
Special has definitely been overused. The casual fans in this forum and a nutcase UConn fan getting thrown out at MSG are the baseline for special.

Reaction Score
He must be a pretty good floor general because his teams always win but I've never been too impressed with what I've seen. He's not a great athlete, has no jumper, has no left and needs to put on weight. He might turn out to be great but he certainly doesn't jump out as a special talent. And no this isn't sour grapes, never been high on him off of what I've seen.

Reaction Score
Not sure, it's a kid I've wanted and liked for almost 2 years now, I wanted him over Diallo, think the kid is gonna be a stud college player, wanted him more than any other recruit over the last couple of years....

But again who am I?

Reaction Score
Guards that can't shoot really won't add too much value to this team. One of the primary issues with the team this past year was very inconsistent shooting from the guards. Ollie should be looking for a 2 that can shoot lights out.

Reaction Score
Who knows what this means. As I said last week, to my knowledge I was told Jalen was coming back. That being said, I don't know if that was at a point where Jalen knew of this mass exodus or not so yea...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 12.13.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 12.13.52 PM.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members