Nebraska fired Pelini? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nebraska fired Pelini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nebraska has a Florida problem. Expectations too high and patience too short. It's not like they've gone without a bowl game in 4 seasons or rocking back to back 3 or fewer win seasons.

Guy has averaged 9+ per year. It's not what it used to be, but it's not bad.

I agree they were tired of him and the relationship wasn't good, but why give him all that money.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I never said we would get all three, I said in a fantasy world they would bring in Muschamp but he's going to be an SEC coordinator. Georgia has recruited very well actually and has produced a plethora of NFL talent, not sure where you got the idea they don't recruit well from. Richt is doing what Pelini is doing in a much harder league and with more success (BCS bowls, top recruiting classes, never gets blown out) and yet UGA seems to have grown tired of him.

Also disagree that Nebraska isnt a top tier job. There just aren't that many schools who have the financial ability and willingness of Nebraska to go with the tradition that they provide. Bill Callahan brought loads of talent to Nebraska he just couldn't coach.

Frost played at Nebraska and would be crazy to not take a pay raise and be tabbed as "coach in waiting" at his alma mater. It's really not as crazy to think Nebraska could land these two guys given the circumstances and their financial commitment to winning.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this. Richt is not a great recruiter....I live in Atlanta...there are 4 and 5 star recruits everywhere. He doesn't have to fight to fill out a team. Kids ask him to go to UGA. What I haven't seen him do is pull in recruits from outside Georgia...and he has lost quite a few to other schools. He still loses games he shouldn't lose (Florida/SC/GT this year)..and rarely wins big games. He is a good guy and runs a decent program...but I wouldn't consider him a great coach.

Here is what I mean by top tier programs....Alabama, UGA, UF, Tx, MI, OSU, USC, UCLA, ND, FSU. I think these 10 schools are top tier..and I don't think Nebraska is there...and I would be surprised if a coach of one of these schools would leave to coach Nebraska. Nebraska is the next tier...still a great football school but not top tier.

Lastly...coach in waiting rarely works (Ollie is the exception)..and really only works with very tenured coaches near retirement. There aren't many coaches that would fit that profile...and especially not Richt. If Frost isn't seriously considered for the HC job, he needs to go coach a lower level school to get experience. Then Nebraska can hire him later. That would be much better experience for him then to continue to coach offense at a school he is already familiar with.

Just my two cents.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
it would not surprise me it Richt was next

Not sure about that. He has the number two ranked recruiting class and some of those players would head elsewhere if he was fired.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I guess we will just have to disagree on this. Richt is not a great recruiter....I live in Atlanta...there are 4 and 5 star recruits everywhere. He doesn't have to fight to fill out a team. Kids ask him to go to UGA. What I haven't seen him do is pull in recruits from outside Georgia...and he has lost quite a few to other schools. He still loses games he shouldn't lose (Florida/SC/GT this year)..and rarely wins big games. He is a good guy and runs a decent program...but I wouldn't consider him a great coach.

Here is what I mean by top tier programs....Alabama, UGA, UF, Tx, MI, OSU, USC, UCLA, ND, FSU. I think these 10 schools are top tier..and I don't think Nebraska is there...and I would be surprised if a coach of one of these schools would leave to coach Nebraska. Nebraska is the next tier...still a great football school but not top tier.

Lastly...coach in waiting rarely works (Ollie is the exception)..and really only works with very tenured coaches near retirement. There aren't many coaches that would fit that profile...and especially not Richt. If Frost isn't seriously considered for the HC job, he needs to go coach a lower level school to get experience. Then Nebraska can hire him later. That would be much better experience for him then to continue to coach offense at a school he is already familiar with.

Just my two cents.

I agree that Nebraska isn't in the same caliber of jobs as TX, ALA, USC but I do think it is in the same tier as UCLA, Penn State, and UGA. It's a destination job and one of the 10-15 in the country depending on who you ask. I also think the school/administration is ready to ramp up their financial commitment it takes to win these days. The school has been hesitant to hire the necessary additional recruiters and staff of larger programs but thats what it takes to compete these days and Nebraska has the resources to provide any coach with what they need.

Agreed about the coach in waiting thing though. The more I think about it the more it just doesn't make sense, although I do think that if Nebraska were to pay him more and give sort of an "associate head coach" title he would consider it. My only issue with Frost is that he hasn't been a head coach before and Nebraska went that route last time with Pelini. I don't know who Frost would bring in with him but I would assume his young personality would resonate well with recruits and he is a Nebraska boy through and through so that helps.

Drew

Reaction Score
Would also LOVE to have them look at Todd Graham, Arizona State head coach. That guy wins no matter where he is.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wait, 9-3 is a fireable offense and they're supposedly going to go after Schiano who never won the Big East and did better than 9 wins (counting bowl wins) exactly once???
Schiano was a PR disaster in Tampa Bay. I assumed Rutgers was going to bring him back after firing Flood in a year.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Would also LOVE to have them look at Todd Graham, Arizona State head coach. That guy wins no matter where he is.
Todd "the ghost" Graham. Soon to disappear from a school near you.

Reaction Score
Schiano was a PR disaster in Tampa Bay. I assumed Rutgers was going to bring him back after firing Flood in a year.
I don't know how that guy does it. How he got an NFL gig based off his resume was unreal. Now after FUBAR, he is in consideration for the Nebraska job.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wait, 9-3 is a fireable offense and they're supposedly going to go after Schiano who never won the Big East and did better than 9 wins (counting bowl wins) exactly once???

I was surprised to see that name too. I can see Schiano trying to resurrect his coaching here or at another G5 spot. Definitely not at a program with as much history and an avid following like Nebraska.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I agree that Nebraska isn't in the same caliber of jobs as TX, ALA, USC but I do think it is in the same tier as UCLA, Penn State, and UGA. It's a destination job and one of the 10-15 in the country depending on who you ask. I also think the school/administration is ready to ramp up their financial commitment it takes to win these days. The school has been hesitant to hire the necessary additional recruiters and staff of larger programs but thats what it takes to compete these days and Nebraska has the resources to provide any coach with what they need.

Agreed about the coach in waiting thing though. The more I think about it the more it just doesn't make sense, although I do think that if Nebraska were to pay him more and give sort of an "associate head coach" title he would consider it. My only issue with Frost is that he hasn't been a head coach before and Nebraska went that route last time with Pelini. I don't know who Frost would bring in with him but I would assume his young personality would resonate well with recruits and he is a Nebraska boy through and through so that helps.

It's not an attractive job because you get fired for only winning 9 games a year. Same reason Florida won't get as good a coach as the program warrants. At least Gainesville has better weather.
Michigan has this problem, too. RichRod apparently wasn't the problem.

Someone will take all these jobs, they will all be good coaches, and they will be fired within 5 years.

Reaction Score
It's not an attractive job because you get fired for only winning 9 games a year. Same reason Florida won't get as good a coach as the program warrants. At least Gainesville has better weather.
Michigan has this problem, too. RichRod apparently wasn't the problem.

Someone will take all these jobs, they will all be good coaches, and they will be fired within 5 years.
I think RichRod would be perfect for Florida. His offenses with that Florida talent, my o my. In between great coaches, Steve Spurrier and Urban Myer, Florida has had two okay coaches in Zook and Muschamp. They're due for another homerun hire.

Nebraska is another matter. They have fired Solich and Pelini off nine win seasons, in a state that doesn't produce talent. That's a tough gig.

Drew

Reaction Score
The name flying around Nebraska circles now is Jim Tressel. We'll see how realistic that is but man that would be a great hire in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Isn't Tressel a president at an Ohio university, and have a show cause thingy attached?

Reaction Score
Nebraska just screwed themselves. You would think they would have learned something from their own history. Will set the program back 3-5 years before they see another 9 win season. Delusional..

Typical of the ESPN/Conference Realignment Oligopolistic era of college football. Nebraska had their niche (and a pretty great one at that) when they were in the Big 12. All they needed to worry about was Texas, Oklahoma and occasionally some other team that got hot for a year. The rest of the Big 12 schedule were patsys at the time. They were King on their Block. Now they are in the BiG10 with OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan State and eventually Penn State and Michgan to contend with - not to mention Rutgers (just messing).

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Watching these other schools scramble for a coach and all of these crazy rumors makes me glad that we aren't on that roller coaster this year. There is so much misinformation and manipulation out there, it is impossible to figure out what is going to transpire. Re-reading that thread from last year about the Diaco hire...it was amazing how many directions it went over a 24 hour period. Now imagine the big schools with crazy budgets and egos and how bad their rumors will be.

For example....I heard Mike and Mike today discussing the rumor of Chip Kelly to the Gators. How crazy is that?

Bottom line...while Diaco is his own kind of crazy...I am glad we aren't dealing with coach hiring craziness this year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't know how that guy does it. How he got an NFL gig based off his resume was unreal. Now after FUBAR, he is in consideration for the Nebraska job.
I would wager a case of beer Schiano is not under consideration at Nebraska, just media / his agent getting his name out.

Reaction Score
Schiano is not under consideration at Nebraska, just media / his agent getting his name out.

That goes for all of these projected candidates. 90% are names planted by agents or media friends with NO shot at an interview,let alone a hire. Watch how many "he took his name out of consideration" comments you'll start to hear so these guys can save face.

Reaction Score
I would have to think they will be looking at Scott Frost first. Makes a lot of sense for them.

Reaction Score
right state, wrong guy - Mike Riley hired. Very surprising, on both sides

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
right state, wrong guy - Mike Riley hired. Very surprising, on both sides
CFB media twitterati seem to think it's a good move. Anyone have a pulse on the Nebraska fanbase?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
That was shocking. It seems like their only criteria is that the new coach has to be a nice guy. He isn't young...runs a pro style offense and has had just okay success at OSU. Seems like a bit of a risk, but hopefully just getting a coach who isn't a complete tool will help the team focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom