Nebraska fired Pelini? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nebraska fired Pelini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is why the B1G is smart to be looking to big-population markets like New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and New England rather than smaller-market traditional football powers like Nebraska and Oklahoma. Those football programs will revert to the mean, but the population will always be there along the East Coast.

Except that part of the of the Midwest is growing pretty quickly.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of is that they want Scott Frost that bad. They might be worried that he is about to take another P5 head job and they will miss out. They never seemed to embrace Bo and Frost is a company guy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think this was the case going as far back as their last national title. They used to have a premier instate walk on program where they got a good deal their of their OL. I think losing the Texas/Oklahoma recruiting area is their real problem.

Yeah I wasn't saying it's that important, just another problem to stack.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't be the biggest A--Hole in coaching. I for one am thrilled they made this move.

This is a profession that claims Jimbo Fisher and Bobby Petrino as members.....

Reaction Score
Rumor has it, although he crushed breakfast he was losing control of lunch. There is no way you can remain a top flight college football program when this exists.

Reaction Score
Look who's mentioned as the #2 choice to replace Pelini.

2. Justin Fuente, Memphis head coach
Anyone who takes Memphis from 3-9 to 9-3 should draw a lot of interest from ADs, Eichorst included. Fuente is 16-20 in three years at Memphis when the program had won five total games the previous three years. This season, the Tigers had a decent chance to upset then-No. 11 UCLA in Week 2, and they were not blown out by then-No. 11 Ole Miss two weeks later. If Fuente can hang against good, ranked opponents at Memphis, that would seem to bode well for his Nebraska candidacy. Pelini’s background was defense, but the Huskers -- as illustrated above -- often hemorrhaged points against good teams. Fuente and DC Barry Odom would be welcome additions. This season, Memphis was 15th in yards per play (4.75) and seventh in scoring defense (17.1 PPG).

Fuente, a 38-year-old native of Tulsa, is going to rise. Nebraska would be wise to nab him while it can.

“He’d be great for them,” an SEC coach told me Sunday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one in the history of college football is getting more mileage out of catching a team in a look ahead spot than Fuente.

They had Alabama on deck.

It's amazing to me that so many people can work inside the game and miss the schedule context when they see results.

Reaction Score
No one in the history of college football is getting more mileage out of catching a team in a look ahead spot than Fuente.

It's amazing to me that so many people can work inside the game and miss the schedule context when they see results.
I think the look ahead concept is ovrrated. A coach is only responsible for getting his team ready. Wether or not the opposing team is looking ahead to another opponent shouldn't factor into if a coach did a good job preparing his team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the look ahead concept is ovrrated. A coach is only responsible for getting his team ready. Wether or not the opposing team is looking ahead to another opponent shouldn't factor into if a coach did a good job preparing his team.

The games aren't played in a vaccum. If the other team is flat because they are looking ahead, that has to be considered when talking about how great it is you only lost by 21. Guy is a good candidate - but I don't see how losing by only 21 to Mississippi is a selling point.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

1. this was a bad marriage that had to end. I am with the camp that felt the time was right to move on, and probably to Frost.
2. Pelini could not beat good teams - he had a .333 win percentage against ranked teams.
3. UF will go with an O-minded coach.
4. would be surprised to see them go w/Fuente, but I dont think UCLA was so looking ahead to Texas that it took its eye off the ball (although i think UCLA was maybe the strangest team this year in terms of knowing which team would show up) and he did have OleMiss at 7-3 in 4th quarter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(the elephant in the room has gotta be thinking) bad timing for UCONN football??? I know I know, but with the frustrations we're going thru in our rebuilding process you gotta admit the thought had to cross everybody's mind here...simply because this guy's proven....
Unlikely regardless of timing .... but yes, it crossed my mind.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
As a big Nebraska fan, Sean Eichorst made the correct decision here. The program and Pelini had been growing apart for about 3 years now and every single season seemed like it was a roller coaster of emotions. Pelini will be a head coach somewhere else and Eichorst has stated he's going to open the wallet (reportedly up to 5.5 million a season) for the right coach.

People keep saying Scott Frost but I don't see it happening. Hasn't been a head coach and who is his network of guys to bring in with him?

What I could see happening is Nebraska pulling a move similar to Arkansas did when it got Brett Beilema from Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Beilema had begun to grow tired of each other and Arkansas capitalized. That name this go round? Mark Richt at Georgia. He's 54, was born in Omaha, and Georgia seems to think they can do better. If Nebraska can pry him away from UGA and outspend Oregon for Frost as offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting they will be in a really good place.

In a fantasy world they bring in Muschamp as defensive coordinator as the icing on the cake but I have a feeling someone at a lower level P5 will give him a shot as a head coach or he'll end up in the SEC somewhere (Auburn).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow what is the standard at Nebraska to keep your job?

Win the conference at least once. Preferably at least once every three years. Pelini was the Marty Schottenheimer of college football. Never won the big game. Personality sealed his fate. As a Kansas alumn, I'd love them to grab him, a winning record and bowl game is all they expect in Lawrence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The games aren't played in a vaccum. If the other team is flat because they are looking ahead, that has to be considered when talking about how great it is you only lost by 21. Guy is a good candidate - but I don't see how losing by only 21 to Mississippi is a selling point.

He might be a candidate somewhere, but shouldn't be at Nebraska. He just had his first winning season, in a crappy league where even the best teams were huge disappointments.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
As a big Nebraska fan, Sean Eichorst made the correct decision here. The program and Pelini had been growing apart for about 3 years now and every single season seemed like it was a roller coaster of emotions. Pelini will be a head coach somewhere else and Eichorst has stated he's going to open the wallet (reportedly up to 5.5 million a season) for the right coach.

People keep saying Scott Frost but I don't see it happening. Hasn't been a head coach and who is his network of guys to bring in with him?

What I could see happening is Nebraska pulling a move similar to Arkansas did when it got Brett Beilema from Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Beilema had begun to grow tired of each other and Arkansas capitalized. That name this go round? Mark Richt at Georgia. He's 54, was born in Omaha, and Georgia seems to think they can do better. If Nebraska can pry him away from UGA and outspend Oregon for Frost as offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting they will be in a really good place.

In a fantasy world they bring in Muschamp as defensive coordinator as the icing on the cake but I have a feeling someone at a lower level P5 will give him a shot as a head coach or he'll end up in the SEC somewhere (Auburn).

From a non-Nebraska fan perspective.....your comments seem on track for Nebraska fans...but to the general public seem delusional. It just isn't a top tier job....and Richt has a top tier job now. Richt doesn't recruit that wellat Georgia...you think he wants to enter recruiting battles at Nebraska? Plus...Richt has the exact same rep as Pelinni...9 win seasons and not win the big game. Nebraska is a nice program and all...but to think you can get a coach from a SEC top tier program to leave.....AND get Frost to leave Oregon and sign the hottest DC available seems a bit far fetched. Muschamp will go to Auburn...Texas A&M. Frost's next gig is head coach not a lateral to Nebraska.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:

Some resume, had an decent chance...and not blown out. The Bears may come calling with those cedentials.

I guess people really don't watch game. Memphis didn't look good at all to me, more like an excuse to not grant a G5 bid to the major bowls if this is what a conference champ looks like. Our Fiesta team for all the guff afterwards would have killed this team.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
From a non-Nebraska fan perspective.....your comments seem on track for Nebraska fans...but to the general public seem delusional. It just isn't a top tier job....and Richt has a top tier job now. Richt doesn't recruit that wellat Georgia...you think he wants to enter recruiting battles at Nebraska? Plus...Richt has the exact same rep as Pelinni...9 win seasons and not win the big game. Nebraska is a nice program and all...but to think you can get a coach from a SEC top tier program to leave.....AND get Frost to leave Oregon and sign the hottest DC available seems a bit far fetched. Muschamp will go to Auburn...Texas A&M. Frost's next gig is head coach not a lateral to Nebraska.

I never said we would get all three, I said in a fantasy world they would bring in Muschamp but he's going to be an SEC coordinator. Georgia has recruited very well actually and has produced a plethora of NFL talent, not sure where you got the idea they don't recruit well from. Richt is doing what Pelini is doing in a much harder league and with more success (BCS bowls, top recruiting classes, never gets blown out) and yet UGA seems to have grown tired of him.

Also disagree that Nebraska isnt a top tier job. There just aren't that many schools who have the financial ability and willingness of Nebraska to go with the tradition that they provide. Bill Callahan brought loads of talent to Nebraska he just couldn't coach.

Frost played at Nebraska and would be crazy to not take a pay raise and be tabbed as "coach in waiting" at his alma mater. It's really not as crazy to think Nebraska could land these two guys given the circumstances and their financial commitment to winning.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Wow what is the standard at Nebraska to keep your job?
Win at least 1 conference title maybe? They never beat anyone good, and always have a WTF game each year. Add to that, the fact that Bo is an unmitigated jack@ss, and you get a fired coach. He has 0 Conference Titles (Big 12 or B1G) in 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom