ND to the ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you're insane. The BE bowl tie-ins just went to crap, but woohoo, we took memphis, and got that rotting pile of feces along with the liberty bowl (!)

The big east is looking at bowl games for the future, and the tie-ins?

the only thing that has changed, is that Notre Dame, will no longer be taking a deserving big east bowl game tie in.

Oh yeah, but I'm insane - why don't you just put a rug down, and bow your forehead to the floor in the direction of Bristol.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's not good news. None of the departures were good news.

Ultimately, Marrinato played it all wrong. As did Hathaway. The $50 million ACC exit fee tells everyone that FSU isn't leaving and ND seals the deal. Hooking up with ND for a New Years ACC game? That takes away the biggest scheduling threat the BE and ND and NBC had---playing opposite the ACC New Years Bowl game.

No getting around the obvious: playing 5 ACC games and the Bowl and ND is one contract away from becoming an 'unequal' member of ACC Football.

Yes. UConn needs that last slot. Or the B12.

Reaction Score
NBC has to do something to bolster their sports network or give up and continue with hot dog eating, fishing,ect. I don't think they will give up on college sports.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
the only thing that has changed, is that Notre Dame, will no longer be taking a deserving big east bowl game tie in.

...and you don't think that chance for ND impacts our bowl tie-ins? Really?

Reaction Score
The big east is looking at bowl games for the future, and the tie-ins?

Oh yeah, but I'm insane - why don't you just put a rug down, and bow your forehead to the floor in the direction of Bristol.
The only thing that has changed is that the Big East's most valuable TV property just left the conference. You're a complete fool.

Reaction Score
The only thing that has changed is that the Big East's most valuable TV property just left the conference. You're a complete fool.

BS!!!!

Notre Dame football is not a big east property, and never has been.

You are saying that Notre Dame basketball and olympics are the biggest asset to the Big East conference?

ducking ignorant.

Reaction Score
BS!!!!

You are saying that Notre Dame basketball and olympics are the biggest asset to the Big East conference?

ducking ignorant.

We'll see who's right when the $$ speaks.

Reaction Score
For those whining about ND in the Big East forever -- congratulations on getting what you wanted. Now we all have to live with the consequences.

You make it sound like this is the fault of message board whiners rather than glad-handing university/conference Presidents and television executives.

Reaction Score
This. This is about the worst of all possible worlds scenario.

For those whining about ND in the Big East forever -- congratulations on getting what you wanted. Now we all have to live with the consequences.

one could argue that this move is proof that they were right all along.

I can't imagine this will impact our NBC deal that much. I doubt ND basketball was the difference between us liking our deal and hating it. This may shut down the ACC to us, but the ACC was never our destination anyhow, and this may spur the B1G to expand, which should be our ultimate goal. We need to be in a conference of major state schools that put $ into sports and academics. That's the B1G, not the ACC.

Reaction Score
BS!!!!

ducking ignorant.
Nope, you're still a complete fool. No other way to put it.

Reaction Score

This might be very bad,but I don't know that for sure yet. but bl, I disagree with your view on losing the Irish. The problem isn't that they are going, the issues is that as usual the Big East let itself be played again. Had Notre Dame been bounced 5 years ago,or at least given an ultimatum in for all or out for all, there was an opportunity to stabilize things. There was a chance to make a deal not unlike the current ACC deal because they had far fewer options. Today there is nothing that can be done. But of course, the BE leadership could never get up the will to propose that, never mind actually threaten it. As usual, the Big East conference locks up the barn door the day after the horses get out.

Reaction Score
This might be very bad,but I don't know that for sure yet. but bl, I disagree with your view on losing the Irish. The problem isn't that they are going, the issues is that as usual the Big East let itself be played again. Had Notre Dame been bounced 5 years ago,or at least given an ultimatum in for all or out for all, there was an opportunity to stabilize things. There was a chance to make a deal not unlike the current ACC deal because they had far fewer options. Today there is nothing that can be done. But of course, the BE leadership could never get up the will to propose that, never mind actually threaten it. As usual, the Big East conference locks up the barn door the day after the horses get out.

What you are assuming, is that the Big East has done nothing in this. I have no idea if I'm right or not, it's just a gut feeling, but my gut tells me that as the Big East conference moves forward, especially our arrangements around the college football post season - the cushy situation that ND had - taking bowl game slots (non-BCS games) from deserving BIg East programs - was pulled off the table.

That's the only thing that would drive Notre Dame away from it's relationship with the Big East conference - the alternatives would be to join a conference for football, or find another conference that would offer the exact same thing.

Hello ACC.

I guarantee you that, the football powers in that conference, are not happy campers. Wait till the first time that a 6-6 Notre Dame team takes a bowl game slot from an 8-4 FSU/Clemson/Vtech.......

Reaction Score
What you are assuming, is that the Big East has done nothing in this. I have no idea if I'm right or not, it's just a gut feeling, but my gut tells me that as the Big East conference moves forward, especially our arrangements around the college football post season - the cushy situation that ND had - taking bowl game slots (non-BCS games) from deserving BIg East programs - was pulled off the table.

That's the only thing that would drive Notre Dame away from it's relationship with the Big East conference - the alternatives would be to join a conference for football, or find another conference that would offer the exact same thing.

Hello ACC.

I guarantee you that, the football powers in that conference, are not happy campers. Wait till the first time that a 6-6 Notre Dame team takes a bowl game slot from an 8-4 FSU/Clemson/Vtech.......

Yeah the football powers are so chapped that they agreed to a $50 million exit fee.

Reaction Score
I think people are gonna be in for a hard dose of reality when the TV and bowl deals are cut post ND.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Especially when ND loses to FSU/Clemson/Vtech...during the regular season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Counselor, you have to admit that the ramifications of ND bolting the conference today are far different than what they would have been if they were kicked to the curb six, eight or ten years ago.

I personally believe that we (UConn) are victims of an eight year stretch of valueless leadership (university president position on flux from 2004-2011; worthless pencil pusher as AD from 2003-2011) and because of this we did nothing to capitalize on quite a bit of athletic accomplishments. What we need to do now is follow the example of schools like TCU, who could have easily thrown in the towel when the SWC folded and they were kicked to the curb. If we can find a way to make ourselves relevant in football some conference of substance will want us. The margin for error however has just become microscopic.

Reaction Score

This is what we all thought ND would do. Shiv the Big East in the back the minute it became clear that doing so would be in their best interest. How bout them showing some loyalty to the Big East for the Big East helping them keep their football independent when no one else would? No instead, they run in to the open arms of the league that continues to try and marginalize the Big East every chance it gets. ND is pathetic, and the Big East got what it deserved.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

The real deal is ND to play on New Years against the ACC in their Bowl game. This takes away the leverage of a BE Champion playing ND every year on New Years opposite the ACC game. As far as I know the Big 5 bowls can contract any opponent they want when they aren't hosting the semifinal teams.

Reaction Score
I am not certain this situation can be properly evaluated right now. It is clear, however, that the move and the timing of the move was, once again, orchestrated by ESPN/Disney behind the scenes and appears on its face to be the worst possible scenario for UConn, both for conference and contract $$. I do hope that something favorable happens in the next few months else I may end up with the same feelings about college sports that I have about pro hockey. Hockey machinations drove me to total disinterest and I doubt I could tell you more than five players now. Herbst and Manuel are good competent management and I remain hopeful something good can happen soon, both for the university's sake and the fans (me included) too.

Reaction Score
This is what we all thought ND would do. Shiv the Big East in the back the minute it became clear that doing so would be in their best interest. How bout them showing some loyalty to the Big East for the Big East helping them keep their football independent when no one else would? No instead, they run in to the open arms of the league that continues to try and marginalize the Big East every chance it gets. ND is pathetic, and the Big East got what it deserved.

BINGO! We have a winner.

Reaction Score
I think people are gonna be in for a hard dose of reality when the TV and bowl deals are cut post ND.

But what information, other then the present arrangement, do you have that would say it would be better with them? (which clearly wasn't all that great based on all the bitching about how our bowl tie ins and money suck) It's a non-comparible situation that you can pump your chest up and say see I told you so when in reality you only have half of the equation so it's impossible to make a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
But what information, other then the present arrangement, do you have that would say it would be better with them? (which clearly wasn't all that great based on all the bitching about how our bowl tie ins and money suck) It's a non-comparible situation that you can pump your chest up and say see I told you so when in reality you only have half of the equation so it's impossible to make a fair comparison.

Hey, fair enough. I think Silver's take on this whole thing is about right though. Not a good day for UConn athletics.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Do you think UConn would show such loyalty if not forced to do so? UConn would have done the same thing if Gene DeFilippo wasn't such a sniveling child or "retired" 12 months earlier. As it is, he succeeded in his ultimate goal, which is now his swan song, in keeping UConn out of the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom