ND to the ACC | The Boneyard

ND to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw that, all sports but FB but will play a certain number of ACC games. Hang on to your seats boys, this could get interesting!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
this is very bad for uconn, I think. there is no need to add an even number football team. the chances of joining the ACC may have just gone from slim to none. Unless Uconn joins the ACC for all sports but football. but more likely they will add Georgetown

Reaction Score
Yep, it's the death knell for any conference move for us.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure I buy it yet. ND is screwing an awful lot of people with this move, not to mention a couple of other Catholics... not that that matters much (see BC to ACC)... and it has limited benefits for them. If it is true it sucks for us. It basically kills any chance we have of joining the ACC unless the Big 12 or SEC goes after Clemson, FSU, etc.

Reaction Score
Another big hit for the BE and UConn. Where are all the yahoos who thought kicking out ND would be a great idea.

Just when you think things couldn't get any worse - it does.

Reaction Score
this is very bad for uconn, I think. there is no need to add an even number football team. the chances of joining the ACC may have just gone from slim to none. Unless Uconn joins the ACC for all sports but football. but more likely they will add Georgetown

This. This is about the worst of all possible worlds scenario.

For those whining about ND in the Big East forever -- congratulations on getting what you wanted. Now we all have to live with the consequences.

Reaction Score
These are the Dark Days. We Desperately need a lifeline and the rowboats are long gone.

Hard to see a Happy Ending here.

Reaction Score
Where are all the yahoos who thought we"d be walking hand-in-hand with ND down the aisle? This is the end result of giving them everything they wanted without condition. And it's the fault of people on the board for recognizing that ND's only loyalty is to ND?

U

UConn9604

For those whining about ND in the Big East forever -- congratulations on getting what you wanted. Now we all have to live with the consequences.

This is shaping up to be one of the worst days of my life as a sports fan. There is literally no incentive for the ACC to add a 15th football playing member -- in fact, there's a sharp disincentive because of what that does to football scheduling. Once the numbers balance out, it looks like Villanova or Georgetown or even (gasp!) a St. John's or Seton Hall to fill out their 16 in basketball.

Villanova couldn't be happier: they may get to join a great hoops league and dump the stupid idea of building a football stadium in Chester, Pa., once and for all.

This is the worst of all worlds, unless and until the Big Ten decides that it needs a stronger New York presence.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't forget to add passing along NBC's number to ESPN.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is pretty bad news for UConn and the Big East. There is a risk that NBC may scrap the whole college sports project rather than sign the Big East.

Reaction Score
i would offer the same deal to the ACC and go independent in football. who cares? the program is dead if in the NBE. UConn olympic sports bring more to the table than Gtown.

Amazing to think the only relevent uconn athletic program in five years may be hockey!

Reaction Score
I don't see why they'd add a non-football school at all unless that school promised to upgrade in the future.

Is not the ultimate goal to sign ND on as a full member?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Should have tossed ND 8 years ago. Serves the Big East right.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is 1) a money grab for alumni donations based on football record and 2) a better shot to get into the 4 team tourney.

From a football standpoint, ND was basically a Big Ten team, playing Michigan, MSU, and Purdue every year. It looks to me that they are looking to pad their win total by playing the likes of Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland. I don't believe for a second that they will play FSU and VATech every year and risk more than 2 losses (they'll still lose to USC in that contrived rivalry), nor do I believe they will stop playing the service academies and give up those wins. Lastly, the money simply would not accompany the cream puff wins had the Big East offered a similar deal. The ACC on average has much bigger football venues.

Reaction Score
Still think there is a chance...espn with Katz and digger phelps seem to still be pushing for UConn as 16th because they don't think basketball will stay at 15 teams.

Reaction Score
So assuming Nova or Georgetown are gone how does the Big East respond? Do we add schools? Split with the catholics? (probably not) add catholics? Does the ACC go to 18 basketball? (Nova Gtown St Johns)

Reaction Score
Our position is exactly the same as it was last night. We were a member of the BE then and we are a member of the BE now. Other cards may fall that even the know it alls on this board may not be aware of. Why let the story unfold for a day when we can start the doomsday crap without knowing anything.

I have a bigger concern; the season at hand, and I am not letting another one get stolen from me by focusing on things that are well out of my control, like last year! My focus will remain on the team and supporting them win or lose!

Reaction Score
Had the BE tossed ND out maybe the ACC would have had some leverage to force them to bring the football program along too. Then uconn has a shot this is about the worst thing that could have happened

Reaction Score
Well ESPN did it again to us, as was alluded to by many that ESPN would muddy the waters before any contracts were signed to devalue the BE. ND and their bullsh@t about wanting a strong BE all the while colluding with the ACC.

This means absolutely nothing to the Big East conference, except another PR blow to the body, by ESPN. Notre Dame football has done nothing for Big East football, except demand ridiculous arrangements for away game scheduling, and take deserving bowl slots from big east teams (and the ACC now has that relationship). Enjoy ACC.

Notre Dame basketball? Well - as much as teh ACC tries - they will never be the Big East basketball conference, and Notre Dame basketball, is not going to fill the airwaves for ESPN on the east coast in the winter.

It's a PR blow, and a survival mode for ND.

My gut - is that the Big East is seriously looking at bowl game arrangements, and that the deal that ND had with the Big EAst for NON-BCS games, was pulled.

As soon as that happened, it was ACC and the same deal that ND had with the Big East......going to happen.

I'm not writing names, but I know for a fact that ESPN higher ups have admitted that they are paying out a LOT more money than they had any intention whatsover to do, for college athletics across the country, and the Big East conference, and it's media rights, are a big threat to their dominance in the intercollegiate broadcasting world, and they know they can't simply keep demanding jacked up carrier fees for ESPN channels. They're in a bind, in making sure that they will be able to fund all the the contracts they've got in place for the next two decades.

The Big East conference, and UConn, are caught right in the middle of crossfire, and I believe it's about 49 days until halloween, and the big east goes to the market for Fox,CBS,NBC,etc.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
you're insane. The BE bowl tie-ins just went to crap, but woohoo, we took memphis, and got that rotting pile of feces along with the liberty bowl (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom