Votes: 46 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
call it how I see it...give credit or criticism when due, Parker was awesome!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think Muffet waited. Not much time had elapsed in the game before Loyd left after picking up her second foul. Muffet was afraid of going man-to-man because of either (1) the LV's speed or (2) picking up more fouls. So Notre Dame went to zone and the Vols feasted on it.

After halftime, Muffet had the starters back and made adjustments and the Lady Vols didn't have much success on offense or defense. It was a scary game for a while for an Irish fan, but then it got better (until Jewell's ankle injury).
I disagree that the Tennessee zone was the cause of ND's offensive woes in the first half. It was the Irish running up the court like their pants were on fire and driving into the paint willy-willy, sometimes into three defenders, that caused their problems. No patience, no tempo, just a streetball game. It was uncharacteristic of ND and even Pam Ward saw that the Irish needed to slow down and run some offense.

And while ND definitely played better in the second half both offensively and defensively, the LVs went into some sort of funk all by themselves starting at the end of the first half. They heaved up the craziest shots, most of which had no prayer of going in. The LV "offense" in the first half looked better because their one-on-one shots went in (yes, I saw the nice pass by Simmons. I almost fell off the couch when I saw Tennessee actually get an assist) but, really, they don't play offense. Honestly, it looked like an AAU game and that's just sad for a program with Tennessee's pedigree.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Also note:
Jan 16: Tenn 67 Miss St 63
Jan 19: Tx A&M 73 Miss St 35

Exactly. I watched the first game, and wondered if I was underestimating Miss St. Guess not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Simmons was named POG and her coach said she played a "magnificent" game and she had 7 turnovers! Simmons can be a streaky shooter but she kills offense; in her 4th year still undisciplined ball hog and her coach is good with it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I disagree that the Tennessee zone was the cause of ND's offensive woes in the first half. It was the Irish running up the court like their pants were on fire and driving into the paint willy-willy, sometimes into three defenders, that caused their problems. No patience, no tempo, just a streetball game. It was uncharacteristic of ND and even Pam Ward saw that the Irish needed to slow down and run some offense.

And while ND definitely played better in the second half both offensively and defensively, the LVs went into some sort of funk all by themselves starting at the end of the first half. They heaved up the craziest shots, most of which had no prayer of going in. The LV "offense" in the first half looked better because their one-on-one shots went in (yes, I saw the nice pass by Simmons. I almost fell off the couch when I saw Tennessee actually get an assist) but, really, they don't play offense. Honestly, it looked like an AAU game and that's just sad for a program with Tennessee's pedigree.

Didn't Tennessee have a ton of assists in the first half?
I remember the announcers saying that.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Didn't Tennessee have a ton of assists in the first half?
I remember the announcers saying that.
14 assists on 19 hoops

BeduZZnIQAEuDh8.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
What in the world is the matter with 27% of you people? TN? Really? That's disgusting.
Do be respectful, meyers, you know that there are a number of BY posters who have tenn or vol in their names and don't necessarily share your views. Frankly, I myself prefer Hebrew Nationals.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do be respectful, meyers, you know that there are a number of BY posters who have tenn or vol in their names and don't necessarily share your views. Frankly, I myself prefer Hebrew Nationals.
Can't respect anyone who would want TN to win. I suppose they would cheer for Hitler and Idi Amin too.

Reaction Score
Simmons was named POG and her coach said she played a "magnificent" game and she had 7 turnovers! Simmons can be a streaky shooter but she kills offense; in her 4th year still undisciplined ball hog and her coach is good with it.

Agree. She is so streaky and very hard to determine if she will be a positive or negative player on the floor. When ND started to make their run, Simmons was a disaster. I would have put in Carter. I thought she gave them some real good energy and love the way she plays. Much more disciplined then Simmons.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Agree. She is so streaky and very hard to determine if she will be a positive or negative player on the floor. When ND started to make their run, Simmons was a disaster. I would have put in Carter. I thought she gave them some real good energy and love the way she plays. Much more disciplined then Simmons.
A crashing tsunami wave is more disciplined than Simmons. Unfortunately she is that most dreaded of players, the frenetic type that can take an opponent by surprise and score a bunch of points very quickly, but once they adjust and she tires you get nothing but diva dingers off the backboard that often turn into baskets at the other end, and it's hard to sit her because of that early burst of fiery success.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A crashing tsunami wave is more disciplined than Simmons. Unfortunately she is that most dreaded of players, the frenetic type that can take an opponent by surprise and score a bunch of points very quickly, but once they adjust and she tires you get nothing but diva dingers off the backboard that often turn into baskets at the other end, and it's hard to sit her because of that early burst of fiery success.

classic! :)

[however last night she was 10-14 and her season FG % is creeping up to 42%. I still love the 'diva dingers' tho....]

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I made a point of watching Russell. She cannot get up and down the court. UConn would run her into next month.

She is a freshman and a post. we all know that it takes a year, maybe more for posts to develop to the level of college play. Unfortunately for Mercedes, she picked Tennessee who appears to not develop players, they just throw them into games to use their talent to get the job done. We rarely see any development or expansion of their game, and that also includes conditioning. I feel bad for her...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Even in jest, I think this is too far.

I agree.......after all, this isn't Auburn/Alabama or OSU/Michigan in football. In those cases, many fans might actually think it isn't 'far enough.' :cool:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is a freshman and a post. we all know that it takes a year, maybe more for posts to develop to the level of college play. Unfortunately for Mercedes, she picked Tennessee who appears to not develop players, they just throw them into games to use their talent to get the job done. We rarely see any development or expansion of their game, and that also includes conditioning. I feel bad for her...
We know that the denizens of the Summitt don't. She was to be the latest savior. They really believe in magic over there.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And it looks like over on Volnation they want the coach to make UTenn play a more uptempo game. At least that's what I think they mean by the "Time for holly to go" post.

I also think Holly needs to unloose Simmons and give her free rein to strike terror into the Vol opponents.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A most interesting, intelligent post on VolNation together with the equally interesting reply might be appropriate for consideration:

The threads originator expresses dismay at the calls for Warlick's head in the light of a seemingly very fine record of 14 and 4 together with last season's conference win.

The principle reply (also thoughtful) is that the team is descending towards mediocrity.
And that once firmly there, it will be very difficult to resurrect the culture of esteem and excellence previously attained
(see LA Tech).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
And it looks like over on Volnation they want the coach to make UTenn play a more uptempo game. At least that's what I think they mean by the "Time for holly to go" post.

I also think Holly needs to unloose Simmons and give her free rein to strike terror into the Vol opponents.

It's not time for Holly & Co. to go just yet. She needs to stay in place a little longer so that the formerly feared brand of Lady Vols bball can fade even further into the rearview mirror before the next coach takes over.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member