ND Post Game Press Conference | The Boneyard

ND Post Game Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting answer to the question about emotion. Muffet said that it wasn't the pressure of the 3 defeats, home court, 800 wins but the emotion of her team that got frustrated and couldn't get their composure back.
The kids looked pretty beaten down, but so did our's last week. Perhaps they'll have a slightly harder job bouncing back.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Looks like none of them wanted to be there.
Do we do this to our kids?

Yes, we do this to our kids.

It comes with the territory. If you want to play in big time games, and you are a team in the top echelon of your sport, the coach and at least one athlete (and often 2 or 3)
are obliged to attend the post-game pressers ---- both the winners and the losers.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did she choose the right headband for the presser? Was it fierce enough?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
She probably had 1,000 tweets to respond to.

I thought it was quite hysterical how they called her "the face of women's basketball" and talked about how much her Twitter followers increased without talking about WHY they ACTUALLY increased.. Maybe 1/30 of her Twitter followers actually care about her basketball skills.. The one and ONLY reason she has that many followers is because Lil Wayne is obsessed with her and always tweets and talks about her.. Not because she's the "face of women's basketball".. Terrible research done by that reporter

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. I watched it and my biggest impression was the Novosel, even in that really hard loss environment, is one impressive person. Muffet is sticking with UConn being a "good team" and "we" beat ourselves - good psychology for her in dealing with her team; maybe not such a good thing if they meet again this year. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Remember how Maya looked at the post-game presser at last year's FF......?
Maya was disappointed, heartbroken, and shocked. But she did an excellent job. In her case, it was the end of her career as a Husky, so it was very emotional. Only Novasel (of the 3 players at the presser) is a senior, and she still has the NCAAs coming up. Maya had so little experience with press conferences after (4) losses.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maya was disappointed, heartbroken, and shocked. But she did an excellent job. In her case, it was the end of her career as a Husky, so it was very emotional. Only Novasel (of the 3 players at the presser) is a senior, and she still has the NCAAs coming up. Maya had so little experience with press conferences after (4) losses.

I just meant that when players suffer a tough loss, the veterans still have to buck up and face the microphone, at least for a few moments. Maya was indeed way beyond crestfallen, something closer to devastated. She was a trooper out there on the podium.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Anyone remember the 'nova loss press conference? ouch.

And Kait - it doesn't matter why Skylar has been dubbed the "face of women's basketball" by the media. In many ways she is, and for her face as much as her skills. (Unlike the kind of following, say, Sue Bird has. That adoration is all about her skills.) Diggins has accepted that responsibility and burden. Perhaps someone who actually follow her tweets can assess the quality of the information shared. But people are beyond foolish if they don't recognize the impact Diggins is having on the non-traditional fan.

We talk about wanting to grow women's basketball -- and all the comfortable and uncomfortable things that entails -- and then when there's someone who is NOT on a UConn team doing that, some seem to relish mocking and tearing that player down.

Guess in takes all kinds.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think its unfair for players to be asked to show up a PC 15 minutes after a very tough loss.......Coaches only.....

I think it's part of playing in a big-time program. There appears to be--and should be--some discretion afforded to the individual running the PC, who I assume is a BE official; the one who says, "Last question" and so forth before dismissing the student athletes. I think they are sensitive to the emotions involved. I go back again to Maya at the FF PC last year. To me it's a sign of respect to the conference and to the game when players show up for a few questions even after a crushing loss. Life goes on, and the obligation of a brief PC appearance is just the first [painful] step forward.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

And Kait - it doesn't matter why Skylar has been dubbed the "face of women's basketball" by the media. In many ways she is, and for her face as much as her skills. (Unlike the kind of following, say, Sue Bird has. That adoration is all about her skills.) Diggins has accepted that responsibility and burden. Perhaps someone who actually follow her tweets can assess the quality of the information shared. But people are beyond foolish if they don't recognize the impact Diggins is having on the non-traditional fan.

We talk about wanting to grow women's basketball -- and all the comfortable and uncomfortable things that entails -- and then when there's someone who is NOT on a UConn team doing that, some seem to relish mocking and tearing that player down.

If Lil Wayne had a fascination with say, Caroline, I would say the same exact thing. Don't make up a story, report the actual facts

Reaction Score

I thought it was quite hysterical how they called her "the face of women's basketball" and talked about how much her Twitter followers increased without talking about WHY they ACTUALLY increased.. Maybe 1/30 of her Twitter followers actually care about her basketball skills.. The one and ONLY reason she has that many followers is because Lil Wayne is obsessed with her and always tweets and talks about her.. Not because she's the "face of women's basketball".. Terrible research done by that reporter

Actually I agree with Kait. No doubt Skylar has the looks and the "face" but I'd much rather grow the game with the grace and poise of a Maya Moore, even if her Twitter account demographic pales in comparison.

Reaction Score
i didn't think it was all that bad. clearly disappointed but Muffett had some great comments and certainly handled it with class...

As much as I dislike the conglomerate corporation that is Notre Dame sports, it's difficult not to like Muffet. She is an asset to women's college basketball.

Reaction Score

To me, Sue Bird is every bit as good looking as Skylar and I think they both benefit from that.

Regarding the publicity, one doesn't have to have a twitter account, does one? Some people just like to be in the spotlight. Some thrive on the attention while others are destroyed by it. Most athletes seem to handle it well compared with those who have achieved show business fame. Perhaps athletes do better in life because the have no choice but to face public failure. Show biz folks can be shielded from embarassment by their agents, publicists, and the cutting room floor. They can more easily live in a fantasy world.

Going through the experience of a presser after a loss is a wonderful lesson in life and these these young ladies will be stronger for it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

WOW... this is a wonderful post! Thank You

Reaction Score
i didn't think it was all that bad. clearly disappointed but Muffett had some great comments and certainly handled it with class...
Skylar was visibly upset<body language which included a continuous shaking of body>facial expressions, and voice,Novosol handled herself well,Mc was also visibly shaken!
Being upset after a huge loss is not unusual! Coach Muffett handled herself with class,gave us the praise that we deserved. I did find it interesting with her comment "It being hard to beat a team a 3rd time" Had me thinking of the 4th time last year:(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As OC said it comes with the territory and part of the territory is, also, learning how to handle it with grace. That most often takes time and experience. I thought all in all they did very well. It is always tough to watch a team lose their dreams and expectations to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom