ND Post Game Press Conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Post Game Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually I agree with Kait. No doubt Skylar has the looks and the "face" but I'd much rather grow the game with the grace and poise of a Maya Moore, even if her Twitter account demographic pales in comparison.
Just a thought . . . as I heard the announcers speak about Skylar repeatedly during the game, it made me think of all the complaints other team's fans made in the past about having to listen to the heroics of Diana or the sweetness of Maya's shots ad nauseum during their games.

ESPN needs to market WCBB and right now Skylar is the soup of the day.

BUT - not to worry Husky fans, methinks accolades for KML will be the main course on ESPN very, very soon!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just a thought . . . as I heard the announcers speak about Skylar repeatedly during the game, it made me think of all the complaints other team's fans made in the past about having to listen to the heroics of Diana or the sweetness of Maya's shots ad nauseum during their games.

ESPN needs to market WCBB and right now Skylar is the soup of the day.

BUT - not to worry Husky fans, methinks accolades for KML will be the main course on ESPN very, very soon!
well said...

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
To me, Sue Bird is every bit as good looking as Skylar and I think they both benefit from that.

Regarding the publicity, one doesn't have to have a twitter account, does one? Some people just like to be in the spotlight. Some thrive on the attention while others are destroyed by it. Most athletes seem to handle it well compared with those who have achieved show business fame. Perhaps athletes do better in life because the have no choice but to face public failure. Show biz folks can be shielded from embarassment by their agents, publicists, and the cutting room floor. They can more easily live in a fantasy world.

Going through the experience of a presser after a loss is a wonderful lesson in life and these these young ladies will be stronger for it.

+1

Reaction Score
I did find it interesting with her comment "It being hard to beat a team a 3rd time" Had me thinking of the 4th time last year:(
We've probably all heard this "hard to beat" phrase many times. I think it's not true because when it's uttered, team A has, as with this case, already beaten team B twice. They just had to win one game at that point. Why would what happened in the past make it any harder? You've already proven yourself to be the better team twice. The odd of winning one more game should be with you. Now if Muffet said, "We're going to beat Uconn the next three times we play them". That would be hard to do.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How many of us at age 20 or so would have been comfortable being interviewed on national TV about anything, let alone after a major disappointment? These kids were all graceful. And in the world of public relations, they are kids. It's why as much as I wish ND would lose every game in every sport they play just to smack down their arrogant administration, I have no problem with their individual players.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We've probably all heard this "hard to beat" phrase many times. I think it's not true because when it's uttered, team A has, as with this case, already beaten team B twice. They just had to win one game at that point. Why would what happened in the past make it any harder? You've already proven yourself to be the better team twice. The odd of winning one more game should be with you. Now if Muffet said, "We're going to beat Uconn the next three times we play them". That would be hard to do.

Not so sure that ND proved themselves to be the better team in the first game. They won under the rules, but at best that was an even game and one that UConn did not play its best. The last two games were almost mirror images in the way they played out. These teams are pretty even.

On the other hand, for example, UConn is a better team than St. John's even though the record is 1-1, and that is not meant to take anything away from the fact that St. John's won the first game. I believe that UConn would beat St. John's 8 or 9 times out of 10, but St. John's got that one when it counted.

Reaction Score
While I agree her Twitter following had a major jump due to the Final Four/celebrities who follow her, Skylar was already pretty well known before all of this. And let's be real here. If she played for UConn, her "attitude" would be seen as swagger and confidence rather than arrogance. I remember someone on some other board called Caroline "smug." In my mind, I don't see that at all, but to fans of opponents they probably see all kinds of things they don't like about UConn's players. I'll be the first to admit she's not my favorite opposing player but I think people can be a little rough on her sometimes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What I don't like about Notre Dame is the arrogance of their fan base, most of whom have never even seen the campus, let alone attended classes. These people are every bit as proud and obnoxious as we are!

I thought Muffet carried the presser with abundant class, though she did sneak that little "after the travel" qualifier when describing Kelly's first trey. (From her vantage point I am sure she saw it that way, so she's entitled.)

I have trouble warming up to Skylar's idiosyncracies (e.g., hairdo change at halftime) but she is a helluva player. I think Novosel is one tough kid who plays very hard and exceptionally well and she clearly exhibited lots of maturity at the presser.

Years ago, a popular and respected Jewish writer named Harry Golden ("Only in America," "For Two Cents Plain") had the challenge of hailing Jewish super pitcher Sandy Koufax in an inoffensive way. He accomplished it masterfully by describing Sandy as "undoubtedly the best Jewish left-handed pitcher in the National League." No one could dispute that evaluation.

Now I await someone to pick up on the fact that Kaleena's mother is of Mexican heritage (thus the hyphenated last name, in Hispanic tradition). Will someone dub her the "Best Mex wcbb shooter in New England"? (Or something more clever.)

That's it for today. Back to you, Daddy Choc.

Reaction Score
While I agree her Twitter following had a major jump due to the Final Four/celebrities who follow her, Skylar was already pretty well known before all of this. And let's be real here. If she played for UConn, her "attitude" would be seen as swagger and confidence rather than arrogance. I remember someone on some other board called Caroline "smug." In my mind, I don't see that at all, but to fans of opponents they probably see all kinds of things they don't like about UConn's players. I'll be the first to admit she's not my favorite opposing player but I think people can be a little rough on her sometimes.
I hesitate to even continue this thread but here I go any way . . .

My friend's daughter plays middle school basketball and just loves Skylar. Not for her looks or her headband. She likes her because she relates to her. She likes that Skylar isn't the tallest player on the team but she plays hard and has skills. Skylar makes her believe SHE could be that good one day.

And my friend's daughter doesn't have a Twitter account.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think it's part of playing in a big-time program. There appears to be--and should be--some discretion afforded to the individual running the PC, who I assume is a BE official; the one who says, "Last question" and so forth before dismissing the student athletes. I think they are sensitive to the emotions involved. I go back again to Maya at the FF PC last year. To me it's a sign of respect to the conference and to the game when players show up for a few questions even after a crushing loss. Life goes on, and the obligation of a brief PC appearance is just the first [painful] step forward.

In the interview with Larry and Magic I posted, Magic made a comment about "4th-quarter players". If you're going to be one you must be willing to be the hero AND to be the goat. This kind of interview is part of what being the goat is. It's what is.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Thought the ND players and Muffet handled the presser very well. This was a big game and a big loss. No one should be looking forward to facing the Irish again this season... I believe they will respond to this game very well.they will

Reaction Score
I hesitate to even continue this thread but here I go any way . . .

My friend's daughter plays middle school basketball and just loves Skylar. Not for her looks or her headband. She likes her because she relates to her. She likes that Skylar isn't the tallest player on the team but she plays hard and has skills. Skylar makes her believe SHE could be that good one day.

And my friend's daughter doesn't have a Twitter account.

Exactly my point. She had a fan base before she became a Twitter celebrity. People find miniscule things to pick at her for whatever reason. She's a great player with confidence who doesn't play for UConn. No crime in that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now I await someone to pick up on the fact that Kaleena's mother is of Mexican heritage (thus the hyphenated last name, in Hispanic tradition). Will someone dub her the "Best Mex wcbb shooter in New England"? (Or something more clever.)
I thought Kaleena's mother was Caucasian non-Hispanic. The hyphenation is fairly recent. I guess Mosqueda sounds Hispanic.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think Muffet hit it out of the park. Her answers were solid, without pause and intelligently phrased with grace and poise. She is one classy coach.

Reaction Score
I thought Kaleena's mother was Caucasian non-Hispanic. The hyphenation is fairly recent. I guess Mosqueda sounds Hispanic.
The Mosqueda name originated in Northern Spain. Early migrants settled in the Caribbean and Central America. Most US Mosquedas live in Texas, New Mexico, California and Kansas. Most of the US territory was once Mexican. Most of the above info came from various internet sources.

Healthy immigrant stock a prime example of which is KML.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom