ND Final Four team recognized..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Final Four team recognized.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So, Mel Thomas getting hurt in 2008 made no difference on UConn's chances in 2008?
A difference, yes. Likely that it would have changed the outcome, no.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Watch the video again. Right from the opening tipoff, Uconn pushed the ball inside to take advantage of Achonwa's absence. That would nullify your point. But that wasn't my point anyway. MHS said that ND choked. Harsh.

Would you say that the 2001 UConn team, the one that Geno said was he greatest team, "choked", and ignore the fact that Sveta and Shea were injured, and freshman DT went 2 for 18? At least be consistent.

To be clear, I'm not saying ND would have won with Achonwa, but Achonwa was a team Captain and leader, and was playing the best basketball of her career when she went down in the game just before the final four. To say her absence didn't make any difference is probably one of the reasons that many people dislike UConn fans. Double standard.
Aeffingmen!!!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'll give you a never injured Achonwa for a never injured Tuck/Banks/KML.

Both teams at 100% full strength.
Not really a valid comparison. ND lost Achonwa a week before the NC game. There was little time for coaches to adapt to her absence. Banks and KML were healthy for the NC game and Tuck was not a starter (and was injured early enough in the season to get a redshirt). I'm not going to blame the loss on Achonwa's absence, but that one poster claimed ND choked. There was no way that ND was a favorite in this game, especially after the Achonwa injury.

The whole thread mocking the honoring of the ND WBB team is disappointing. The team was honored at halftime of a football game (not that big of a deal). They made the FF 4 years in a row. They were the first ND basketball team to make the NC game undefeated. These are all accomplishments that any team not named UConn would take pride in.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'll give you a never injured Achonwa for a never injured Tuck/Banks/KML.

Both teams at 100% full strength.
Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, we all know that. I am not comfortable with those who state that Achonwa not playing had no effect as if it were fact. They certainly are entitled to their opinion, but the fact is we will never know what the outcome of the game would have been, and that diminishes the game somewhat. A large part of UConn's victory was their ability to attack to middle at will, with most of their points coming within ten feet of the basket. To say that would have happened with Achonwa playing, when it had never happened before against ND is a little short-sighted.

Here are what I consider facts:
Notre Dame won seven of the previous nine meetings. But, UConn won two previous meetings in the Final four. Notre Dame in the regular season ran through their opponents, winning by an average of 25.6 points while taking both the conference regular season and tournament championships. Notre Dame played inspired basketball in the Final Four win over Maryland where Notre Dame outrebounded the Terps by a record margin.
Those are facts. How Notre Dame would have done with Achonwa is total speculation.

Fortunately, Geno was far more gracious than some UConn fans:

"We beat a great, great team," Auriemma said. "Notre Dame is a great team. For them to have the season they had and lose their starting center and to do what they did, I can't say enough about their players, coaching staff and it took everything we have. I knew if we played great we'd have a chance to win."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not really a valid comparison. ND lost Achonwa a week before the NC game. There was little time for coaches to adapt to her absence. Banks and KML were healthy for the NC game and Tuck was not a starter (and was injured early enough in the season to get a redshirt). I'm not going to blame the loss on Achonwa's absence, but that one poster claimed ND choked. There was no way that ND was a favorite in this game, especially after the Achonwa injury.

The whole thread mocking the honoring of the ND WBB team is disappointing. The team was honored at halftime of a football game (not that big of a deal). They made the FF 4 years in a row. They were the first ND basketball team to make the NC game undefeated. These are all accomplishments that any team not named UConn would take pride in.

All of your points are valid and I am sure they strike a responsive chord with most Boneyarders. I believe we are much more fair-minded than your coach, who was unwilling to give even a minimal applause for Stewie at a public event when she was honored for her excellence. Still wanna lecture us on our manners?

Reaction Score
I for one felt more confident in UCONN winning after Anchonwa went down. How big an impact it had on ND is impossible to gauge. She was a star and team leader. ND beat us a number of times during the past few years and it hurt. For me, celebrating the 9th championship is enough without saying anything negative about ND.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I agree 100%

Reaction Score

It wasn't meant to be a direct comparison. It is merely a fact that neither team was at full strength in that game.

The "mocking" in this thread probably has something to do with the remarks made by ND players after their FF victory in Maya's senior campaign against a depleted through transfer (EDD/Walker/McCormack) UCONN team, the remarks of Skylar Diggins after a win on UCONN's floor and the coordinated effort of ND during the Stewart incident.

The factors that have led to the bad blood between the schools and some of the fans is directly related to actions stemming from ND players and coaches.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...Rembrandt's Night Watch...notice the use of the bright colored clothing to distinguish the central figure...it has been suggested that Rembrandt meant to caste the gelded figure in the role of marionette...

1229px-The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg
-Man, I don’t know anything about Rembrandt.
-Actually I thought, back then, they only casted gelded guys into the role of soprano, unless of course… are you sayin...
-So, is Rembrandt suggesting the Night Watch is voting here on who must become a (gulp) permanent harem guard???
-Geez, no wonder everyone showed up at the meeting with a weapon!

Reaction Score
Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, we all know that. I am not comfortable with those who state that Achonwa not playing had no effect as if it were fact. They certainly are entitled to their opinion, but the fact is we will never know what the outcome of the game would have been, and that diminishes the game somewhat. A large part of UConn's victory was their ability to attack to middle at will, with most of their points coming within ten feet of the basket. To say that would have happened with Achonwa playing, when it had never happened before against ND is a little short-sighted.

Here are what I consider facts:
Notre Dame won seven of the previous nine meetings. But, UConn won two previous meetings in the Final four. Notre Dame in the regular season ran through their opponents, winning by an average of 25.6 points while taking both the conference regular season and tournament championships. Notre Dame played inspired basketball in the Final Four win over Maryland where Notre Dame outrebounded the Terps by a record margin.
Those are facts. How Notre Dame would have done with Achonwa is total speculation.

Fortunately, Geno was far more gracious than some UConn fans:

"We beat a great, great team," Auriemma said. "Notre Dame is a great team. For them to have the season they had and lose their starting center and to do what they did, I can't say enough about their players, coaching staff and it took everything we have. I knew if we played great we'd have a chance to win."
Injuries, are without question, an unfortunate part of the game as any UCONN fan is keenly aware. Who knows how many more titles the Huskies would have if not for season and career ending injuries to multiple AAs.

The fact that ND bested UCONN in a string of last second victories is well documented, but the last two UCONN victories in FF games were sound beatings. The addition of Achonwa to the ND line-up would have undoubtedly strengthened their team, as would a healthy trio of Tuck/KML/Banks have benefitted UCONN, but to think Achonwa would have been able to change the outcome of that thrashing is folly.

In the previous years FF, Achonwa was healthy while Dolson was playing on no legs. It made zero difference, as Stewart was unstoppable and the Huskies cruised. While we'll never truly know what the difference would be in these discussions, I'll take a 100% healthy UCONN team against a complete ND team in that game, all day.

Reaction Score
-Man, I don’t know anything about Rembrandt.
-Actually I thought, back then, they only casted gelded guys into the role of soprano, unless of course… are you sayin...
-So, is Rembrandt suggesting the Night Watch is voting here on who must become a (gulp) permanent harem guard???
-Geez, no wonder everyone showed up at the meeting with a weapon!
My uncle, no mean artist in his own right even though he made his living as an architect, informed me as a boy that Rembrandt was ridiculing the man in the bright clothing by casting him as a fop and a poseur...gelded was a little cruder description than I intended for the gentile BY audience...my apologies...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watch the video again. Right from the opening tipoff, Uconn pushed the ball inside to take advantage of Achonwa's absence. That would nullify your point. But that wasn't my point anyway. MHS said that ND choked. Harsh.

Would you say that the 2001 UConn team, the one that Geno said was he greatest team, "choked", and ignore the fact that Sveta and Shea were injured, and freshman DT went 2 for 18? At least be consistent.

To be clear, I'm not saying ND would have won with Achonwa, but Achonwa was a team Captain and leader, and was playing the best basketball of her career when she went down in the game just before the final four. To say her absence didn't make any difference is probably one of the reasons that many people dislike UConn fans. Double standard.
To say her absence didn't make any difference is to say it would have changed the result, a comment with which virtually fans and commentators agree. It's not a knock against the kid, who had a great career, it is just comment on the difference between the two teams. ND had a great season for them. Not losing until the championship game is a great year for most programs, just not the one that this forum follows.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's great. Recognized for reaching the FF. Quite an accomplishment.

:rolleyes:

Heck... if my squad had reached the FF...... I would have thrown a celebration parade down my street ..... and offered a congratulatory cookout in my backyard. :cool: Though I'm sure that would be some kind of NCAA violation

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My uncle, no mean artist in his own right even though he made his living as an architect, informed me as a boy that Rembrandt was ridiculing the man in the bright clothing by casting him as a fop and a poseur...gelded was a little cruder description than I intended for the gentile BY audience...my apologies...

ahem.

genteel.;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The whole thread mocking the honoring of the ND WBB team is disappointing.
Thank you for not saying "classless". That's what I was thinking, though. This thread is very much reminiscent of the Summitt in its heyday.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe we are much more fair-minded than your coach, who was unwilling to give even a minimal applause for Stewie at a public event when she was honored for her excellence.
This thread belies your statement. Sadly, you also questioned FightinChoke's manners for defending his team. :(

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't want to apologize for anyone

ND had a wonderful season.

But the antics of some adults on their side seems to have poisoned the water for a little while.
I hope all of this nonsense is soon forgotten and we can get back to playing and having discourse on BB.

Reaction Score
I liked your post, FC, and you are one of the most well-mannered and knowledgeable people posting in WCBB, so it's always a pleasure reading your posts. That said, you seem to have forgotten some of your coach's behavior leading up to the NC last year. I'm a guest here, as you are, but I can tell you that if Muffet meant it to be irritating, she was extremely successful. Don't you think it's a bit much to ask any fans to just let all that slide without expressing some rancor. I honestly cannot, because it still rankles me.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This thread belies your statement. Sadly, you also questioned FightinChoke's manners for defending his team. :(

I shouldn't have done that and I apologize to Fightin' Choke. I'm really sorry.

I hold with the rest of that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman