ND Champ. game press conference live now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Champ. game press conference live now

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno praises ND when it suits him to; he's playing mind games (which he is very good at).

It changed when ND started winning games against UConn. Flash back to when UConn started beating Tennessee; Cruella had a different spin once that started happening. Geno's remarks about ND football and it's not joining the Big East in that sport didn't help. And the scheduling thing, well, there are conflicting reports on what has gone on there. My guess is it's gamesmanship on both sides.

Geno has always praised the team and the players when they've been good. He has always admitted his dislike for ND the institution.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Muffet is ambitious, she covets what Geno has, she is letting her own ambitions cloud her better judgement. If you remember when Geno was asked to comment on the rivalry between ND and UConn his answer was succinct and to the point. "It is necessary", he said. "In order for WCBB to grow we need rivalries like this", he went on to say. Clearly MM's comments aren't in the best interest of growing the sport. Bottom line here is that Kayla was either 3rd or 4th behind Stewie, Chiney and depending on if the vote comes in before Baylor got eliminated Sims. If the decision is made after Baylor got eliminated then McBride moves in front of Sims. But, at no time was she in the conversation to move to the 2nd or 1st position unless of course you are wearing Kelly Green and White. Furthermore, Geno was exactly right in his comments regarding ND leaving the Big East. You have the only team in WCBB whose football program was independent. You have a bunch of Catholic schools who got all they could from the Big East and bolted taking the name with them. Let's be honest here a lot of teams work hard to bolster the Big East brand but none did more for the brand in the past 10 years than UConn. And, UConn was left high and dry. What was Geno supposed to do or say..."Thank you, may I have another?" No, Geno's comments were right on the money. If Muffet's skin is too thin then too bad. Geno has been extremely gracious in his comments regarding Notre Dame. It has been ND playing with a chip on their shoulder...because they were knocking on the door trying to replace UConn at the top of the ladder in the Big East. They made strides during the "Diggins / Novesel / McBride / Mallory era" but, they fell short...it is still UConn at the top and ND a strong wannabe. There is a lot to be said for a gracious, classy coach who strives mightily for the top... For a classless, ungracious and overly ambitious coach who can't separate their own personal ambitions from what is good for the game...not so much. I know I wrote a mouth full here but I'm sick and tired of everyone giving MM a pass for her poor behavior. I guess we should all be thanking MM for providing the Bulletin Board Fodder that I'm sure Geno and the UConn players will used for extra motivation going into tomorrow's game. The only thing we have in common is our Philadelphia roots comment by MM is both insulting and short sighted on her part...they are both leaders, elite coaches of the sport they both love and have dedicated their lives to and they both have a unique opportunity to move the sport forward and provide a positive image of the sport to thousands of aspiring young athletes who are working hard to become relevant to this sport.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I highly doubt that. MM had no control over that.

If anything, the "fib" comment was more likely to ruffle feathers.
That was the start but much more tension was added between the schools. See cFerraro's post.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if the "beyond civility" remark has more to do with some of the comments Geno has made about Stewie just being a regular kid in contrast to some others which could be construed to be a shot at how Skyler conducted her career. I'm sure Muffet would take that as uncivil.

It would have been easier to understand Muffets reaction to Stewie getting the NPOY if either Sims or Chiney were on her team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just wondering if the "beyond civility" remark has more to do with some of the comments Geno has made about Stewie just being a regular kid in contrast to some others which could be construed to be a shot at how Skyler conducted her career. I'm sure Muffet would take that as uncivil.

It would have been easier to understand Muffets reaction to Stewie getting the NPOY if either Sims or Chiney were on her team.
That comment had nothing to do with Skylar.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She admitted there was tension in the room during the Ap awards ceremony because they wanted McBride to win POY.

I'm having a hard time getting past this comment. Just to be clear, she and her team were responsible for making the room tense. The winners of the AP awards were known in advance of the public announcement/ceremony. Muffet knew she won COY and Breanna won POY. She had time to accept the disappointment of McBride not winning and sit in the room and behave like the winner of an adult award. Instead, she and her team took up the entire front row and proceeded not to applaud (save Niele Ivey) when a 19-year-old kid won a major award. A joyous moment for Breanna was made tense by McGraw because it wasn't her player. It's stunning.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Sims and Chiney were the contenders according to Lisa Leslie and Peck, for what it's worth. Didn't hear the name of KMcB in their analysis.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geno's presser is shaping up to be must watch tv...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is not the behavior that Pope Francis is trying to instill in the church. He has made that abundantly clear over the last year. Graciousness is to be the rule. ;)

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This is not the behavior that Pope Francis is trying to instill in the church. He has made that abundantly clear over the last year. Graciousness is to be the rule.
Not all Catholics are on the same page, if you know what I mean....

Reaction Score
This is not the behavior that Pope Francis is trying to instill in the church. He has made that abundantly clear over the last year. Graciousness is to be the rule.

Religion is not relevant here. Nor should it be brought up on a sports board.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You have no idea what the start was.

If anything, it goes all the way back to the 2011 F4 and Bruszewki's (alleged) comment.
No doubt that is another small part. Maybe the start. The fuss made at the time over Geno's comment concerning ND and the catholic schools and the conference shifts as cF notes seems to be at least the escalation of issues.

Last edited:

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

To take a comment like that as a dig takes a masterful command of mental gymnastics to be sure. Not so sure MM could stretch that far.

I think this has more to do with frustration built over the past several years. All in all, it is a bit strange and she may be going down a path that leads to nothing but ugly. When a leader starts building angry responses things tend to get out of control.

YOPB

Reaction Score
I really hope Geno doesn't add gasoline to the fire at his presser. But, who am I kidding??!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Muffet is ambitious, she covets what Geno has, she is letting her own ambitions cloud her better judgement. If you remember when Geno was asked to comment on the rivalry between ND and UConn his answer was succinct and to the point. "It is necessary", he said. "In order for WCBB to grow we need rivalries like this", he went on to say. Clearly MM's comments aren't in the best interest of growing the sport. Bottom line here is that Kayla was either 3rd or 4th behind Stewie, Chiney and depending on if the vote comes in before Baylor got eliminated Sims. If the decision is made after Baylor got eliminated then McBride moves in front of Sims. But, at no time was she in the conversation to move to the 2nd or 1st position unless of course you are wearing Kelly Green and White. Furthermore, Geno was exactly right in his comments regarding ND leaving the Big East. You have the only team in WCBB whose football program was independent. You have a bunch of Catholic schools who got all they could from the Big East and bolted taking the name with them. Let's be honest here a lot of teams work hard to bolster the Big East brand but none did more for the brand in the past 10 years than UConn. And, UConn was left high and dry. What was Geno supposed to do or say..."Thank you, may I have another?" No, Geno's comments were right on the money. If Muffet's skin is too thin then too bad. Geno has been extremely gracious in his comments regarding Notre Dame. It has been ND playing with a chip on their shoulder...because they were knocking on the door trying to replace UConn at the top of the ladder in the Big East. They made strides during the "Diggins / Novesel / McBride / Mallory era" but, they fell short...it is still UConn at the top and ND a strong wannabe. There is a lot to be said for a gracious, classy coach who strives mightily for the top... For a classless, ungracious and overly ambitious coach who can't separate their own personal ambitions from what is good for the game...not so much. I know I wrote a mouth full here but I'm sick and tired of everyone giving MM a pass for her poor behavior. I guess we should all be thanking MM for providing the Bulletin Board Fodder that I'm sure Geno and the UConn players will used for extra motivation going into tomorrow's game. The only thing we have in common is our Philadelphia roots comment by MM is both insulting and short sighted on her part...they are both leaders, elite coaches of the sport they both love and have dedicated their lives to and they both have a unique opportunity to move the sport forward and provide a positive image of the sport to thousands of aspiring young athletes who are working hard to become relevant to this sport.

Exceptional post. I would also add Muffet's jealousy is controlling all of this.

Sad.

Reaction Score
Also the fact that Geno is a pretty charming guy and UCONN media darlings. It also probably doesn't help that Kara and Rebecca and everyone else picked UCONN to win the National Championship.....i think that one just made her lose it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I completely agree with this post, especially that which I have highlighted. I have always seen McGraw as a wanna be (and for lack of a better term) whiner, not getting the attention she (felt she) wanted or deserved. Grace is a virtue, and I do not believe that she has any grace in her coat pockets, or if so, she has shown very little of it over the years. She has coached a good squad, but I believe that it is also about sportsmanship. GOOD sportsmanship.

Say goodbye Pat and hello Muffet.

Then again, I hope not ( for there is always hope). Perhaps she will take a good look in the mirror and see the world for what it is (and over which we have little control) and change her mind about a few things...oh, and perhaps achieve a little grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom