ND awful again, UCF is a better team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND awful again, UCF is a better team

Reaction Score
Both teams went undefeated and ND played a tougher schedule. It's not even a debate who deserved to be in the playoff.

Not arguing who the better team was, but you can't say the committee was "Bias" in selecting ND.

Reaction Score
Downtrending to 12-0.

You can’t make it up.

Now that UCF lost to the LSU backups, OSU white knuckled against a Washington team that couldn’t catch a ball and Georgia is getting their brains beat in can we stop with Notre Dame complaints.

Alabama and Clemson blow everyone out. They got the four right.
.500 bowl record now, with 8 bowl losses in a row. Thats called downtrending. They'd have to change admission rules to have a chance against Bama and Clemson. Takes lower academic standards to succeed in football, as of now. The schools ND played this year, none had spectacular seasons leading to a major bowl.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your best argument would be that college football has becomes such a scalitoy sport that there was no point in having bowls or a playoff this season. The bowls were a train wreck almost across the board, with a handful of OK games on 1/1 not remotely compensating for the blowouts that preceded yesterday.

I think college football has gone from awesome to awful in the last 5 years. The P5 commissioners have destroyed the sport, and they are now feeding on each other. If they want to take turns going to bowls like it is kickball in kindergarten, that is their call, and I honestly no longer give a . But don't argue that merit or quality had anything to do with Notre Dame going to a bowl game.

I’ve long realized that trying to crown a national championship in college football is a waste of time and there is no process that is going to satisfy people. I’d be fine going back to the pre-BCS era.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that if you are picking four teams - Notre Dame had one of the four best resumes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...you can't say the committee was "Bias" in selecting ND.
As long as humans are the final arbiter, there will always be a built in bias in selecting ND over any otherwise "deserving" G5 program. That is not the point.

I think selecting UCF to the playoffs would have drawn fascinating story lines leading into the semi-finals, but after yesterday, I think the Selection Committee actually did UCF, the AAC, and the G5 conferences a favor in not selecting them. With McKenzie Milton, I have little doubt that UCF would have put up a better showing than Notre Dame, but they still probably would have lost. Without him, we saw what they did vs. a depleted LSU team.

So the drama would have been huge leading up to last Saturday, but it would struck midnight on Cinderella by 7:30. As it is played out, the fervor still buzzes.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
.500 bowl record now, with 8 bowl losses in a row. Thats called downtrending. They'd have to change admission rules to have a chance against Bama and Clemson. Takes lower academic standards to succeed in football, as of now. The schools ND played this year, none had spectacular seasons leading to a major bowl.

They are going to finish 5th in the AP poll. By your logic everyone but Alabama and Clemson is downtrending.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is the best argument against Notre Dame being in the playoff:

I hate Notre Dame.

Pretty much nobody has argued anything different than that but that argument saves some electrons.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Here is the best argument against Notre Dame being in the playoff:

I hate Notre Dame.

Pretty much nobody has argued anything different than that but that argument saves some electrons.
To resurrect the OP, Clemson would have hung 60 on UCF without breaking a sweat. Even if Milton was healthy.

Reaction Score
They are going to finish 5th in the AP poll. By your logic everyone but Alabama and Clemson is downtrending.
The Big Ten and Pac-12 somehow doesnt have programs besides Ohio State keeping up right now. Its an ugly scene. But then, might just be Saban's run. Once he retires, some new coach from the SEC will probably dominate again.

Swinney to Bama would make CF boring as heck.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
To resurrect the OP, Clemson would have hung 60 on UCF without breaking a sweat. Even if Milton was healthy.
UCF would have been the 4 seed and would have played Alabama.

Eh, It's all academic anyway. I'm not expecting any great olive branch should the CFP go to 8 teams. The rule will probably be written up such as the highest rated G5 Or Notre Dame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom