NCST... Do you agree? | The Boneyard

NCST... Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys. I thought NCST would be a very good team this year and stll think they will have a lot of wins in the their conference play. I think they can beat anyone in the ACC. I have also watched our last 5 games and frankly we have underperformed after a good start vs Michigan St.. NOTE: I was very impressed with NCST on the road vs. what I see as a top 3 Mich team in a very hostile road game.

I am predicting we win the Tuesday night 73-71 and the reason why is the following:

1. They are young and playing at MSG is to our advantage. and hopefully given what I am reading we will have an awesome fan base there. I had plans but my kids are sick so I am out.
2. Defense - our on the ball defense was for the most part awesome and constant vs MSU and my only guess is that we let down a bit as a team waiting for this game and conference play. I played ball in college and no matter what we tell ourselves - these players are kids and there is a mental let down during the pre conference games vs weaker opponents. I think our on the ball defense creates issues for NCST. We have played in spurts but this game will bring the "d" out especially in our guards and Giffey.
3. NCST isnt a great FT shooting team and we do tend to send teams to the line. If it gets tight we need to knnow we can put leslie and others at the line and pick up minutes becasue of their low FT%.
4. BAZZ: I think this is the biggest reason why I believe we win. I think he is ready to get down to business. If they play zone look for Bazz to be aggressive right away. and he will take thi game over.!
5. National game at MSG and the players know that we are a program on the fence and this group wont let us fall off under Bazz and Boat...

PS: I want to see alot more Giffey and DD with wolfe and bazz and boat.

Lets get this one... I cant wait ...

Reaction Score
That recruit leslie(sp) is crush us. Not sure how we answer him

Reaction Score
That recruit leslie(sp) is crush us. Not sure how we answer him

Drink some coffee 99....."is crush us" LOL......

He scares the beejarzes out of me also, no answers....goes and gets it like no one we've played and too strong for DD, too quick for TO, too big for OC, Giffey needs to come up big I'm afraid or he's a 20/10 guy tonight......

Huskies will need to put on their "Mich State" game faces at least and maybe more unless the lights make the Pack nervous....

Reaction Score
Drink some coffee 99....."is crush us" LOL......

He scares the beejarzes out of me also, no answers....goes and gets it like no one we've played and too strong for DD, too quick for TO, too big for OC, Giffey needs to come up big I'm afraid or he's a 20/10 guy tonight......

Huskies will need to put on their "Mich State" game faces at least and maybe more unless the lights make the Pack nervous....

Hahaha Sorry, early and autospell.. coffee coffee coffee ... he will walk over olander

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we tend to find answers, we'll see if Ollie can do it again (as he did vs MSU)

this will be our 3rd game against a team presently in the top 25 FWIW

Reaction Score
Hahaha Sorry, early and autospell.. coffee coffee coffee ... he will walk over olander

He plays PF for them, Tyler won't be guarding him

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If only there wasn't a murder on campus the day CJ Leslie visited, he might have been a Husky...oh what could have been...

Reaction Score
Guys. I thought NCST would be a very good team this year and stll think they will have a lot of wins in the their conference play. I think they can beat anyone in the ACC. I have also watched our last 5 games and frankly we have underperformed after a good start vs Michigan St.. NOTE: I was very impressed with NCST on the road vs. what I see as a top 3 Mich team in a very hostile road game.

I am predicting we win the Tuesday night 73-71 and the reason why is the following:

1. They are young and playing at MSG is to our advantage. and hopefully given what I am reading we will have an awesome fan base there. I had plans but my kids are sick so I am out.
2. Defense - our on the ball defense was for the most part awesome and constant vs MSU and my only guess is that we let down a bit as a team waiting for this game and conference play. I played ball in college and no matter what we tell ourselves - these players are kids and there is a mental let down during the pre conference games vs weaker opponents. I think our on the ball defense creates issues for NCST. We have played in spurts but this game will bring the "d" out especially in our guards and Giffey.
3. NCST isnt a great FT shooting team and we do tend to send teams to the line. If it gets tight we need to knnow we can put leslie and others at the line and pick up minutes becasue of their low FT%.
4. BAZZ: I think this is the biggest reason why I believe we win. I think he is ready to get down to business. If they play zone look for Bazz to be aggressive right away. and he will take thi game over.!
5. National game at MSG and the players know that we are a program on the fence and this group wont let us fall off under Bazz and Boat...

PS: I want to see alot more Giffey and DD with wolfe and bazz and boat.

Lets get this one... I cant wait ...
Here is a much bigger question: Are you Uconn's Brian Fair or just a Fair fan?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree with others, UConn has no answers for Leslie. He's the type of player that makes me wish UConn still had RS. He's going to get his points and rebounds. The question is how much our guards can disturb things to keep him from getting the ball.

caw

Reaction Score
TJ Warren: 6-8, 233
Richard Howell: 6-8, 257
CJ Leslie: 6-9, 200
Lorenzo Brown: 6-5, 186
Rodney Purvis: 6-2, 195
Scott Wood: 6-6, 169

Those six average about 25-30 minutes per game for NCST, no one else averages over 15. I actually think Daniels matches up well with Leslie. The problem is that if UConn is in the three-guard lineup, then they will be sacrificing height/weight at every position. The question is, can UConn's speed negate the advantage NCST has in height.

Interesting fact is that NCST only has 17 blocks in 6 games or 2.8 per game, while UConn has 40 in 7, or 5.7 per game. Olander leads with 13.

NCST has 39 steals or 6.5 per game and UConn has 58 or 8.3 per game. NCST also averages 13.7 TO's per game while UConn is only at 11.1.

NCST is hitting from deep so far this year, at 33/84 = 39%. Not a lot of attempts, and Wood and Purvis are their big gunners. They are pretty horrid from the FT line though at 62%. UConn's depth may play a big role here.

NCST is a better shooting team (except from the line). They are not as good getting steals or blocks, and their A/TO ratio is actually slightly worse than UConn's. NCST plays at a faster pace averaging 79 per game with a +8 margin. UConn averages 70 with a +6 margin.

In the 3 games NCST won handily they shot 24/53 = 45% from 3, with 8 makes per game (not just average). In the two losses and their close win versus UNCA they shot 9/31 = 29%. UConn is giving up 40/130 = 31% from three this year though Wake and Quinnipiac both shot over 43%.

A tightly called game would seem to favor UConn as NCST is such a poor FT shooting team and they also only give 6 guys more than 15 per game. Howell has been pretty foul prone over his 4 years at NCST.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Nice analysis. Current vegas odds have them as 5.5 point favorites. UConn needs to hit higher percentage of shots and not get killed on the glass. I want to see RB/SN penetrate more (like vs MSU) - and kick out to an open shooter.

TJ Warren: 6-8, 233
Richard Howell: 6-8, 257
CJ Leslie: 6-9, 200
Lorenzo Brown: 6-5, 186
Rodney Purvis: 6-2, 195
Scott Wood: 6-6, 169

Those six average about 25-30 minutes per game for NCST, no one else averages over 15. I actually think Daniels matches up well with Leslie. The problem is that if UConn is in the three-guard lineup, then they will be sacrificing height/weight at every position. The question is, can UConn's speed negate the advantage NCST has in height.

Interesting fact is that NCST only has 17 blocks in 6 games or 2.8 per game, while UConn has 40 in 7, or 5.7 per game. Olander leads with 13.

NCST has 39 steals or 6.5 per game and UConn has 58 or 8.3 per game. NCST also averages 13.7 TO's per game while UConn is only at 11.1.

NCST is hitting from deep so far this year, at 33/84 = 39%. Not a lot of attempts, and Wood and Purvis are their big gunners. They are pretty horrid from the FT line though at 62%. UConn's depth may play a big role here.

NCST is a better shooting team (except from the line). They are not as good getting steals or blocks, and their A/TO ratio is actually slightly worse than UConn's. NCST plays at a faster pace averaging 79 per game with a +8 margin. UConn averages 70 with a +6 margin.

In the 3 games NCST won handily they shot 24/53 = 45% from 3, with 8 makes per game (not just average). In the two losses and their close win versus UNCA they shot 9/31 = 29%. UConn is giving up 40/130 = 31% from three this year though Wake and Quinnipiac both shot over 43%.

A tightly called game would seem to favor UConn as NCST is such a poor FT shooting team and they also only give 6 guys more than 15 per game. Howell has been pretty foul prone over his 4 years at NCST.

Reaction Score
Their height and weight is an issue. We need to be as hot at the start of the msu game to control play

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In the end it comes down to who scores more points. UConn had a lot of good looks in the last several games. They lacked consistency with getting the ball in the hoop. The only difference between top ten teams and all the others is the consistency of making shots. That is lacking so far with the UConn team. What has allowed the team to win is defense. Hopefully the defensive intensity remains and three or four UConn players get hot.

Reaction Score
If only there wasn't a murder on campus the day CJ Leslie visited, he might have been a Husky...oh what could have been...
Leslie never visited UConn. You're confusing him with someone else who was at UConn for an official visit when Jasper was killed. I can't remember who visited that weekend but I do remember there was a highly rated recruit at UConn that weekend.

caw

Reaction Score
Leslie never visited UConn. You're confusing him with someone else who was at UConn for an official visit when Jasper was killed. I can't remember who visited that weekend but I do remember there was a highly rated recruit at UConn that weekend.

Corey Joseph. Not a loss at all, all things considered with Napier being the recruit who came in instead.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

CJ Leslie's final 3 schools were NC State, UConn, and Kentucky. He visited on Spring Weekend 2010 when someone got murdered, which led to Herbst getting rid of Spring Weekend.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/46148/cj-leslie

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/04/cj-leslie-to-visit-uconn-recru.html

Reaction Score
Leslie is a big problem and we are weak inside. It would be nice to make it a perimeter game, but to do that you have to have the ball. if we keep it out of leslie's hands we have a chance, but I again doubt it. Let's make it close and a Bazz 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
CJ Leslie is a great player but after watching him I don't think he has the presence or the mentality to dominate or take over a game (even though it seems he will have a mismatch all game vs our front court.) I am less worried about NCST working the ball into Leslie for back to the basket type points and more worried bout offensive rebounds and tip ins and so on.
Leslie also has a tendency to turn the ball over and often brings it low when he has possession. I think that because of the lack of 3-point shooting tendency by their guards this might play well into bazz and boat's tendency to drift and leave shooters open. ie, might be able to bring a guard down for a soft double team.

Reaction Score
Here is a much bigger question: Are you Uconn's Brian Fair or just a Fair fan?

Danzz.. When I was younger Brian Fair was my favorite player and after a game he hung out with me and my little bro - along with the entire 1994 team - which is the menu (above the Uconn) in my avatar - from the huskies bar signed by the entire team. it was awesome.. RAY RAY and D. Marshall were incredibly nice and down to earth. I was 14 at the time. Kevin Ollie was also great. BUT B Fair - in my mind never got his due because that boy could fill it up.

Reaction Score
CJ Leslie's final 3 schools were NC State, UConn, and Kentucky. He visited on Spring Weekend 2010 when someone got murdered, which led to Herbst getting rid of Spring Weekend.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/46148/cj-leslie

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/04/cj-leslie-to-visit-uconn-recru.html

That would be the kid who died in a fight near, I think, a convenience store on Eagleville. Like the vast majority of Spring Weekend issues, it did not involve any UConn students.

Reaction Score

Yes he most certainly did visit UConn. There were kids chanting his name, and he even tweeted something to the effect that he had a "hella fun time."

Unfortunately he chose NCST, kid is a beast.

Reaction Score
Corey Joseph. Not a loss at all, all things considered with Napier being the recruit who came in instead.

Interestingly enough, when we played UT that year Shabazz blocked a Joseph 3 pt attempt at the end of regulation that would have tied the game.

Reaction Score
When did Leslie become so great? He's a nice player but I don't think Giffey or Daniels will embarrass themselves against him. The kid Howell will be a challenge as well, he's a load. But let's face it, there were kids in my law school intramural league who would get what they want against our frontcourt so I'm expecting those two to be tough.

I dont know who's going to win the game, but I'm going to set the over/under on threes made by Scott Wood at 9. And take the over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom