NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Since graduating from OHIO state a few days ago Barrow has changed his twitter bio to reference UCF. I don’t think he has a scholarship - could be wrong.

Reaction Score
For perspective - USF just took on a QB transfer from Gardner Webb with four years of eligibility.

Kaden Frost, Gulf Coast , Pro-Style Quarterback

Just as an aside. I literally emailed the UConn football staff 3 times to recruit this kid. He would have been there in a second and literally told me so. Then again, I told them to look at 3 other kids that turned out to be good D1 players. None ever got a sniff. They just don’t listen to fans/strangers or they get too much email to take it seriously. I gave up. I’m not surprised but I wish I could help sometimes. I’m in an area with some great football players that would be thrilled to go to UConn. Many of them pan out as legit college players.

Frost was recruited by Lane Kiffin and enrolled at FAU but quickly saw the log jam at QB and took an offer from Gardner Webb and left FAU right away before wasting eligibility. He wanted to get reps in practice and Gardner offered that. He is a D1 talent with good athletic ability. He was also a solid basketball player, good student and has a good family. Miami was on him for years but got their first choice and backed off him. Good chance this kid sees the field over the next few years. He played at a huge school and put up big numbers for a fairly weak team with a bad OL. Passed for 44 TDS and 6100 yards.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just as an aside. I literally emailed the UConn football staff 3 times to recruit this kid. He would have been there in a second and literally told me so. Then again, I told them to look at 3 other kids that turned out to be good D1 players. None ever got a sniff. They just don’t listen to fans/strangers or they get too much email to take it seriously. I gave up. I’m not surprised but I wish I could help sometimes. I’m in an area with some great football players that would be thrilled to go to UConn. Many of them pan out as legit college players.

Frost was recruited by Lane Kiffin and enrolled at FAU but quickly saw the log jam at QB and took an offer from Gardner Webb and left FAU right away before wasting eligibility. He wanted to get reps in practice and Gardner offered that. He is a D1 talent with good athletic ability. He was also a solid basketball player, good student and has a good family. Miami was on him for years but got their first choice and backed off him. Good chance this kid sees the field over the next few years. He played at a huge school and put up big numbers for a fairly weak team with a bad OL. Passed for 44 TDS and 6100 yards.
Interesting. Maybe the best way to get the staff to look at someone is to send recruiting tips to the GAs.

Reaction Score

I think a PROGRAM like UConn (and many others) have near perfect market information on kids playing any level of college; particularly at the QB position.

Thus, when they went after Beaudry, they had 10 others that struck their Ipad. I am certain the young guy running their Data - Steinberg - has a detailed eye for opportunity set. A Beaudry was weighed against most every JuCo or GrTr or first/second P5 available. They won't wing this.

If the kid is good, lots of UConn's and others in their mode looked at him. I believe he will get an opportunity if he is as good as you say. One fan sending a name ... probably is a splash in a big pool. Where we were in October/November of last year, we certainly looked at many.

Reaction Score

starting to feel a little sorry for some of these kids... they coulda came here (Storrs CT) and blew up, built their own legacy... instead, their egos get fed with all these promises, heads get inflated, then they find out, through competition, they aren't the #1 guy, then the transfer, only to find out they aren't the #1 guy there either and before you know it, their college career is over...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The grass is not always greener on the other side. Something all those in the Portal should think about

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We recruited this kid pretty hard for the 2018 class. After red shirting last year he is looking to move on due to a scheme change to a 4-2-5. So far no current UConn coaches are following on twitter.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mass TE at FSU in the portal again. Corey followed this kid for a while last fall the first time he was in the portal. Rhodey, UMass, Rutty are some of the schools that seem to be reaching out this tune around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mass TE at FSU in the portal again. Corey followed this kid for a while last fall the first time he was in the portal. Rhodey, UMass, Rutty are some of the schools that seem to be reaching out this tune around.

Plenty of opportunity come 2020 and beyond at TE Mr. Marshall.. PLUS, you're close to home up here in Storrs, CT.. A win win situation if you ask me...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Posting because this is representative of the other challenge in recruiting grad students; academic qualifications. You try to plan around a guy....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Plenty of opportunity come 2020 and beyond at TE Mr. Marshall.. PLUS, you're close to home up here in Storrs, CT.. A win win situation if you ask me...
I wouldn’t hold my breath because I don’t see Edsall pursuing a guy that has been in the portal three times in 10 months.

I think we have to play 4 or 5 games, then the staff will zero in on two or three positions they want to fill in the off season with transfers or JUCOs. My guess is that it will be TE and LB and any position with an injury bug.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm not looking to crush Randy here, but for anything who thinks UConn has waded deep into grad students in 2019 under a paradigm shift should take a look at this: We are still just dabbling.

Reaction Score
I'm not looking to crush Randy here, but for anything who thinks UConn has waded deep into grad students in 2019 under a paradigm shift should take a look at this: We are still just dabbling.

This is somewhat misleading because it doesn’t note how many of these were grad transfers. I know for a fact Oregon only has 1 on the roster in Juwan Johnson, so 11 of those are kids who already graduated and stayed with the school/program. As we all know, most of the graduated players moved on from UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is somewhat misleading because it doesn’t note how many of these were grad transfers. I know for a fact Oregon only has 1 on the roster in Juwan Johnson, so 11 of those are kids who already graduated and stayed with the school/program. As we all know, most of the graduated players moved on from UConn.
Good point.

And not to diminish your point, the only player on our roster I believe has moved on to grad school w/o transferring is Mason Donaldson. There are probably a few other seniors and RS juniors, but I dont think we have too many after Mason.

Reaction Score
Something else to consider is that many of those same schools have been living off jucos for years. For them, the transfer portal is a mere extension of overall philosophy. Not to mention, their academic standards wrt athletes might be slightly different than ours. When’s the last time a K State recruit was academically ineligible?

Reaction Score
PA WR Held UConn offer for 2019 > Committed to Cuse > Decommitted > Committed to Georgia Tech> headed out>??

Reaction Score
UCLA WR Theo Howard enters the portal.. Solid stats before this season too. Seems like a legit FBS level impact player at WR for 2020 potentially.. We'll need that.. and DJ Morgan showing him some love:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom