NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Reaction Score
Rutty with nine transfers.....Nine! We have four when including Dillon Harris as a JUCO.

The fact that we s*cked so bad for several years scared folks.. Opportunities aplenty up in Storrs CT.. Sounds like we gotta show a pulse first before folks start taking the program a little more serious like back in the Edsall 1.0 days.

Reaction Score
The fact that we s*cked so bad for several years scared folks.. Opportunities aplenty up in Storrs CT.. Sounds like we gotta show a pulse first before folks start taking the program a little more serious like back in the Edsall 1.0 days.
I don't totally disagree with what you said, but I don't think I'd quote a Rutgers post to get the point across.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The obvious story here that the media has left on untouched is - is the admissions department too tough on transfers. I have watched the staff more closely this year - they are trying to bring in Grads/JUCOs/Transfers, but my suspicion is that we have a much higher bar on academics.

I'm not saying we'd have 5 more kids here, but maybe we'd have two or three more.

Reaction Score
I don't totally disagree with what you said, but I don't think I'd quote a Rutgers post to get the point across.
At this point does Rutgers matter???? Seriously? We gotta get our house in order before we focus on a team we no longer have rivalry games with...

Reaction Score
At this point does Rutgers matter???? Seriously? We gotta get our house in order before we focus on a team we no longer have rivalry games with...
I think your point was that we need to put out our dumpster fire before transfers will consider us. Rutgers is and has been a dumpster fire for years too and just pulled 9 transfers - per link you quoted. Had nothing to do with a rivalry.

Reaction Score
I think your point was that we need to put out our dumpster fire before transfers will consider us. Rutgers is and has been a dumpster fire for years too and just pulled 9 transfers - per link you quoted. Had nothing to do with a rivalry.

Disagree. The AAC is the dumpster. RU is experiencing fire drills, several no less, in a high rise park ave. condo.

Reaction Score
Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP 44 minutes ago
One of the things I have been hearing a lot when talking to coaches about the portal is: There are more players in the portal than scholarships available because of the yearly limit of 25 signings. Interested to see if FBS to FCS transfers are up this year.

Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP 43 minutes ago
I had an FBS coach (not from Penn State) tell me he had a couple of kids enter the portal and land at FCS because there just wasn't much in terms of FBS options. Of course this has always happened, but i do wonder if the newfound freedom for players is coming with a hard reality.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP 44 minutes ago
One of the things I have been hearing a lot when talking to coaches about the portal is: There are more players in the portal than scholarships available because of the yearly limit of 25 signings. Interested to see if FBS to FCS transfers are up this year.

Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP 43 minutes ago
I had an FBS coach (not from Penn State) tell me he had a couple of kids enter the portal and land at FCS because there just wasn't much in terms of FBS options. Of course this has always happened, but i do wonder if the newfound freedom for players is coming with a hard reality.

I'm waiting for this very dynamic to bear us fruit for UConn. So far its been underwhelming and the big boys - even here in mid May are finding space for transfers they want.

Will we be the program that lands some decent kids come July when reality sets in? Thats the big question.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Again - will Randy be able to slow play us into a better roster by catching kids that find themselves homeless in July? We all sure hope so.

Explaining the biggest peril of the NCAA transfer portal
Explaining the biggest peril of the NCAA transfer portal

After debuting Oct. 15, 2018, college football’s transfer portal is seven months old. It remains as busy as ever. Ten players entered the transfer portal Monday of this week, per sources. There’s been a steady trickle of activity on the transfer market almost daily since the turn of the calendar year.

There are still big names remaining, too.

Penn State’s Tommy Stevens, Michigan’s Brandon Peters and Bowling Green starting QB Jarret Doege will find comfortable landing spots. And there’s instant impact help at every other position on the board. Many of those dominoes will soon fall as schools across the country hold graduations and summer rosters are set in stone.

There were 1,398 FBS players who had entered the portal as of Monday morning – 770 from the Power Five – according to a source. Expand that out to Division I as a whole, and there were 2,347 players in the system. Many of those prospects have found a new home or a fresh start. A lot of them will make an impact in Year 1.

Yet as we hit the midway point of May, it’s hard not to turn an eye toward the perils of the portal.

247Sports keeps a running tab of the transfer portal on our site with the large majority of those 1,398 FBS players listed within our system. Of the group we’ve tracked, there were still 413 position players who’ve yet to find a new destination as of Monday.

For example, 23 quarterbacks had yet to land in a new place. That’s a position where there are very few spots available and fewer reps. At this point in the year it’s hard for a QB transfer to find a destination where he can make an immediate impact, unless you’re somebody with immense talent (Peters) or a proven history (Doege).

There is a myriad of reasons why players are included in that group of over 400 unsigned prospects.

Some are silently committed places and want to graduate before making their announcements. Others want to wait until they officially graduate before taking visits. Some are in the portal after behavioral issues at their previous school and are largely untouchable. Others still are being slow-played by coaching staffs as they wait for dominoes to fall on their board.

247Sports has spoken to various players in those above positions over the last few weeks and months, and many of them will find homes. It just might not always be the place the player envisioned.

Take a scroll through the transfer portal and you’ll often see a formerly highly-ranked first or second-year player land a spot you might not expect (Toneil Carter, our photo choice for this story, was a former four-star recruit who spent two years at Texas, playing just one, and transferred to FCS Sam Houston State). The transfer portal gives players agency to explore their options without asking permission from their old school. But there’s no guarantee a prospect finds a better or more high-profile situation. There’s also no way for a player to know if his scholarship will be there if he enters his name in the portal and decides to return. Once a player enters the portal the previous school is under no obligation to keep said player on scholarship.

As the months go by, we’re seeing the transfer portal for what it is – a risk.

Not only are FBS players on the move, but schools are also adding FCS, Division II, Division III and JUCO players to their rosters. Those players move up the ladder, which generally means somebody must fall down. There are only 85 scholarships per team and schools can only add 25 signees a cycle. That limits who can go where.

The most talented players will always find a home. So will those with a proven history of production. But those undervalued talents looking for an opportunity at a new school? There are no guarantees. With 400-plus FBS players looking for a better situation, we’re seeing that risk play out live.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this article bro.. Here's hoping we can get a few of those P5 transfers

Reaction Score
The obvious story here that the media has left on untouched is - is the admissions department too tough on transfers. I have watched the staff more closely this year - they are trying to bring in Grads/JUCOs/Transfers, but my suspicion is that we have a much higher bar on academics.

I'm not saying we'd have 5 more kids here, but maybe we'd have two or three more.

If true this just makes me crazy. Let’s just call it a day if this doesn’t change!!!!

Reaction Score
Good read for those that have access to The Athletic: The fuzzy math of the NCAA Transfer Portal

>>The Division I Council’s 2017 recruiting reform package that established an early signing period and earlier official visits included a stricter limit of 25 initial counters (signees) per year for FBS programs. This tougher standard, done in an effort to further curb oversigning and other roster manipulation, has put coaches in a bind this offseason.

In the 2019 recruiting class, Power 5 schools finished with an average of 22 signees. These recruiting staffs can get creative with their accounting and find ways to squeeze in more than 25, but the point is this: if you signed 22, you can only take three, four, maybe five transfers this offseason. There are extreme exceptions — Miami signed 17, so the Hurricanes have been able to bring in eight transfers — but in general the limit of 25 initial counters doesn’t allow for many portal acquisitions.

One Power 5 recruiting coordinator told The Athletic he’s receiving emails every day from hopeful transfers. His staff already signed two this offseason and now has “very, very little” room for more. That’s the case across the country right now, and too many transfer players don’t realize how many doors are actually closed.

“They have no idea — NONE — that the NCAA put in the hard 25 initial rule in,” another Power 5 staffer said. “They think anyone can go anywhere.”

A far more frustrating complication to this, coaches say, is when you do lose players to the portal, you don’t have room to replace them. This has emerged as a popular topic of discussion and consternation in conference coaches’ meetings in recent weeks, as coaches who have lost a lot of players this offseason come to realize it may take them years to get back to the 85-man scholarship limit. Edwards says the Sun Devils’ scholarship count is currently in the “low 70s,” and he’ll need two years to make it up.

“We need some way to replace some of those guys,” said Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente, who’s had 12 players leave for various reasons. “I think it starts with player safety. You walk into spring ball with one running back, it’s a pretty tough situation. You move a guy to running back, and he’ll want to transfer because he didn’t want to switch positions. It’s a little bit of a never-ending cycle. It does seem fair to find a way to address some of that.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good read for those that have access to The Athletic: The fuzzy math of the NCAA Transfer Portal

>>The Division I Council’s 2017 recruiting reform package that established an early signing period and earlier official visits included a stricter limit of 25 initial counters (signees) per year for FBS programs. This tougher standard, done in an effort to further curb oversigning and other roster manipulation, has put coaches in a bind this offseason.

In the 2019 recruiting class, Power 5 schools finished with an average of 22 signees. These recruiting staffs can get creative with their accounting and find ways to squeeze in more than 25, but the point is this: if you signed 22, you can only take three, four, maybe five transfers this offseason. There are extreme exceptions — Miami signed 17, so the Hurricanes have been able to bring in eight transfers — but in general the limit of 25 initial counters doesn’t allow for many portal acquisitions.

One Power 5 recruiting coordinator told The Athletic he’s receiving emails every day from hopeful transfers. His staff already signed two this offseason and now has “very, very little” room for more. That’s the case across the country right now, and too many transfer players don’t realize how many doors are actually closed.

“They have no idea — NONE — that the NCAA put in the hard 25 initial rule in,” another Power 5 staffer said. “They think anyone can go anywhere.”

A far more frustrating complication to this, coaches say, is when you do lose players to the portal, you don’t have room to replace them. This has emerged as a popular topic of discussion and consternation in conference coaches’ meetings in recent weeks, as coaches who have lost a lot of players this offseason come to realize it may take them years to get back to the 85-man scholarship limit. Edwards says the Sun Devils’ scholarship count is currently in the “low 70s,” and he’ll need two years to make it up.

“We need some way to replace some of those guys,” said Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente, who’s had 12 players leave for various reasons. “I think it starts with player safety. You walk into spring ball with one running back, it’s a pretty tough situation. You move a guy to running back, and he’ll want to transfer because he didn’t want to switch positions. It’s a little bit of a never-ending cycle. It does seem fair to find a way to address some of that.”<<

Well - I always though grad transfers were exempt from the 25 man cap rule.

Regardless, if the situation is this severe, they will change the rule, perhaps as early as this very summer. Probably allow the cap to increase man for man for every kid that transfers out that has remaining eligibility.

That said, the amount of JUCO and DII kids sliding up might still result in more kids in P5 programs finding themselves in G5 and FCS land than currently anticipated.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While the staff continues to poke around with various juco and transfer options for TE, one of the more intriguing possibilities that has popped up is Jaykwon Jefferson, 6’3’’ kid from East Orange NJ who just finished a year of community college in MN. Jefferson received an offer from Temple several weeks back. In recent days he has started to connect with our staff on twitter. He recently retweeted Weiss’s Mother’s Day tweet. He is following Guifre and others.

Jefferson looks like he can block and catch. Soft hands, great at extending for the ball. Moves well for his build.

I want this one to happen. I think its better option than some of this kids that never saw the field at big programs and definitely better than some of the other jucos I have seen that really are just a body with limited athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While the staff continues to poke around with various juco and transfer options for TE, one of the more intriguing possibilities that has popped up is Jaykwon Jefferson, 6’3’’ kid from East Orange NJ who just finished a year of community college in MN. Jefferson received an offer from Temple several weeks back. In recent days he has started to connect with our staff on twitter. He recently retweeted Weiss’s Mother’s Day tweet. He is following Guifre and others.

Jefferson looks like he can block and catch. Soft hands, great at extending for the ball. Moves well for his build.

I want this one to happen. I thinks its better option than some of this kids that never saw the field at big programs and definitely better than some of the other jucos I have seen that really are just a body with limited athleticism.

Like the way he highpoints the ball... solid hands it appears... We need him omore than anyone else in G5 football.. hands down.... We should make each other a priority...

Reaction Score
looks like we might be linked to a promising WR redshirt frosh out of West Virgina named Dillon Spalding.. He ended up redshirting this past year due to ankle surgery. He's a Holgorsen recruit... and we all know Holgorsen is now at Houston.. Would be nice to get this kid if he's indeed in the transfer portal (makes sense for him being eligible immediately should he get a waiver too)...

Reaction Score
Looks like we may potentially be hot on NC State QB transfer Micah Leon (6'5 214lbs)... looks like a kid looking for a fresh start... Would definitely be an asset (very least) providing even more depth at QB (needed)

Reaction Score
See we're on Clemson LB transfer Shaq Smith (just graduated, congrats to him).. I know this may be a pipe dream, but what better place to excel, and showcase your abilities, and help lead a team defense that needs leadership that knows how to win? He'd be HUGE for our D... (one can wish can't he)..

Reaction Score
Well - I always though grad transfers were exempt from the 25 man cap rule.

Regardless, if the situation is this severe, they will change the rule, perhaps as early as this very summer. Probably allow the cap to increase man for man for every kid that transfers out that has remaining eligibility.

That said, the amount of JUCO and DII kids sliding up might still result in more kids in P5 programs finding themselves in G5 and FCS land than currently anticipated.
These recruiting rules have been in place for a while and have nothing to do with the transfer portal. The difference is that kids may think it is easy to jump to a new team with the transfer portal, but it's not and never has been. When a new football coach comes in, he has the tension between flipping the roster and keeping players to ensure depth. In the case of Fuente, he is going into his fourth season at VT and the team has been trending down and now he is losing players to transfer. Is the problem the portal or Fuente?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
These recruiting rules have been in place for a while and have nothing to do with the transfer portal.

Right, its my understanding that the 25 man annual scholarship cap was put in place to curb oversigning.

Reaction Score
Good to see we’re going after offensive transfers cause from what I’ve heard we’re losing someone of the offensive side of the ball.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good to see we’re going after offensive transfers cause from what I’ve heard we’re losing someone of the offensive side of the ball.

Interesting you say that because I have certainly noticed a pick up in interest by the staff in WRs. We obviously need a JUCO/Grad TE, but their interest in WRs has me piqued.

Reaction Score
Gotta weird feeling we won't be seeing some familiar faces come Fall camp. Just a hunch

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Edsall says he is looking for transfers at WR, TE, DL and surprise - safety.

I haven’t seen them pursue too many DBs in the portal- interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom