NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Reaction Score
Malik Barrow, Ohio State DE from Miami/IMG Academy now has DDC, Eddie Allen, D. Harris and B. Chapman from the UConn staff following him. Obviously a long shot, but notable that traction is increasing.

At one point Barrow "retired" because of injuries including a torn ACL.

Malik Barrow transferring from Ohio State

He should be a "priority FA" type for us... He'd help us right away...

Reaction Score
Could Rutgers DB transfer KJ Gray be in the mix? I see he's following our head coach on Twitter

Reaction Score
Could Rutgers DB transfer KJ Gray be in the mix? I see he's following our head coach on Twitter
Wasn’t he caught up in the trouble those players got into at RU? Kinda risky

Reaction Score
As the Spring Semester comes to a close it seems we're seeing more and more prospects freeing up in the Transfer portal... It'd be nice if they truly take us seriously... We just need some stop gap guys. It'd be a nice opportunity on both sides (player as well as the school)...

Reaction Score
Tommy Stevens, QB Penn State in the transfer portal. Graduate transfer - 2 years eligibility. I know, I'm dreaming.

Tommy is a RS Senior this season so this is his final year of eligibility. He's looking for a school that will give him the best opportunity to start. Very gifted athlete and a great kid, but he has battled injuries for the better part of the last two seasons. I have no idea if he would be interested in UCONN but if healthy he would be a huge pickup. My guess is he ends up either some where he has a previous coaching connection like MSU(Joemo) or he heads closer to his home state of Indiana and plays somewhere like Louisville or in The MAC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about Jawaun Johnson who per his HUDL account played for Norwich Free Academy?

He's 5'10 WR that has completed 1 year at Fullerton JUCO college and supposedly signed with Cal in December. At Fullerton he had over 500 years receiving with 4 TDs. Per his twitter account he remains available - did not sign with Cal. Mike Z, Ben Chapman and Eddie Allen recently started following him.

Jawaun Johnson on Hudl

Jawaun Johnson (@GodsChild1__) | Twitter

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's a free story on Jawuan Johnson. Strange how he seemingly was overlooked in CT.
GoldenBearReport.com - Cal Lands JuCo Wide Receiver Jawaun Johnson from Fullerton College

Johnson, originally from Norwich, Connecticut, enjoyed a solid year as a member of an undefeated Fullerton squad, piling up 37 receptions for 585 yards and four touchdowns. Fullerton ran him on plenty of swing screens and tunnel screens, things that Cal does with their slot guys. He's also capable of running vertical routes out of the slot, with an awareness to exploit zones. He's listed at 5'11" and 190 lbs.

Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about Jawaun Johnson who per his HUDL account played for Norwich Free Academy?

Saw him play New London when he either a frosh or soph. He was electrifying. Didn’t think he’d be a college QB. Was thinking CB. Hopefully he winds up somewhere. ... close to home!

Yup... If I remember correctly his only interest was from Temple. He ended up @ Hutchinson due to academics then headed west after a year. Been following him from afar for awhile. Knew a few kids who trained @ the same facility (BOA) on the shoreline w/ him. Interesting to see where he lands.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yup... If I remember correctly his only interest was from Temple. He ended up @ Hutchinson due to academics then headed west after a year. Been following him from afar for awhile. Knew a few kids who trained @ the same facility (BOA) on the shoreline w/ him. Interesting to see where he lands.

One of his Fullerton coaches tweeted per below which seemed to shake the tree a bit:

He's also connected to Isiah Huff who has lots of connections to the current CT kids on the roster via Hartford and Capital Prep.

Reaction Score
We aren't we recruiting CT native Jawaun Johnson now? Sounds to me like he'd be a perfect fit here now.. He's a CT kid... Probably has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and with Edsall here now, he'd be ready to grind, show up and show out... and don't give me the academics mumbo jumbo now because Cal wanted him, and offered him.. last time I checked their academics where a step above ours....unless things have changed as of late.

Reaction Score
Gotta say I'm impressed with the follows of Mike Z each week... He's a beast keeping up with new potential recruits down the road as well as potential transfers... Case in point, 6'4 210 WR Garyn Prater (The Ohio State Univ)... Can't seem to get on the field but was busting it during Spring practice.. So, now, he's looking for a new new home to showcase his ability... He'd be ideal for us as well (Imagine a guy this size in the redzone for us? and probably more...

Reaction Score
Josh Johnson from Iowa State (another WR)... Looks like we're looking for more developed talent at the spot on the field fellas.. with all the follows going on... maybe one guy I think we'll take if we can get him... or a guy that could fill a need for us beginning 2020...

Reaction Score
So far.. Wouldn't surprise me if we got a few more than 4 bro.. We were extremely young all over the field bro... It showed the past 2 years...

Okay... he was fibbing when asked.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So May and June and frankly right up to mid August should be fascinating for the transfer market in this new portal world. We still have four scholarships available (I project five, so presumably a WO has earned a slot). It seems the majority of schools finished up their Feb recruiting cycle over subscribed by a slot or two rather than under. And the majority of the impact players in the transfer world have found homes in the few slots that are out there in top 70 programs. The game for Randy will be, how to know when to hold them and when to fold them on the pool that is out there. Do you get itchy with the trigger finger now or hold out to try to catch a bigger fish that springs loose later in the year.
We are probably taking 1 DL, 1 WR, 1 TE and one of either an OL or Kicker.

For example right now you have for WR Juwaun Johnson - Norwich CT kid with three years of eligibility after two years at Fullerton as a JUCO or you have Josh Johnson - Arkansas kid that after two years at Iowa State has entered the portal. They are similar players, medium build slot receivers. Juwuan should be able to play immediately, while Josh would have to sit a year (most likely). There is some reason to think we have a shot at both (the staff is following both, neither seem to be leaning in any particular direction). Which do you choose? Might have a bunch of these scenarios in flush out in the months ahead. None of these will be easy decisions.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I see Ian Buthune's quote from Randy about four scholarships. I count five, so perhaps a WO has earned a scholarship.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The game of musical chairs is on and there are signs some kids are starting to worry about that seat in FBS football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom