NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Reaction Score
Hopefully Buffalo TE Tyler Mabry is being monitored as well.. Looks like he's looking to play out his last season elsewhere... Ideal fit for us..

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Hopefully Buffalo TE Tyler Mabry is being monitored as well.. Looks like he's looking to play out his last season elsewhere... Ideal fit for us..

Coach Corey Edsall is following him, so maybe.

Reaction Score
Looks like Michigan LB/DE Reuben Jones might be in the portal now too.. Mike Z's on him... This guy didn't do much at Michigan, but he's definitely a body that could potentially contribute for us in some capacity as a GS transfer (mature body at the very least)

Reaction Score
I'm liking Patrick Macon a little better.. #3 JUCO LB coming out. ended up at OK State.. but now he's Grad Transferring... sounds like a great fit her, short term... checked his profile at the OK State site.. looks like he was hurt all this past season.. @ 6'3 244lbs, worth a shot IMO

Reaction Score
Good read:

SI: The double-edged sword of the transfer portal

>>A player recently went to an employee of the Power 5 football program he plays for and asked to go into the NCAA’s new transfer portal. The player’s request was granted, because the school can’t say no when a player wants to enter his name into the database that announces to other schools that the player wishes to be recruited as a transfer.

But before the player entered his name, the people in the program warned he might not find what he seeks. There has been a flurry of transfer activity since the schools changed the NCAA rules that allow schools to block players from transferring to certain other schools on an athletic scholarship. School officials are so worried about undergraduate transfers gaining immediate eligibility—they’re supposed to sit out a year under current rules—through NCAA waivers that the NCAA’s transfer working group is now examining changing the waiver guidelines it issued only last year. A tighter waiver process for undergrads might slow the flow into the portal, but no matter what happens with the waivers, the portal isn’t going anywhere. Athletic directors and school presidents got tired of ADs and coaches being portrayed as control freaks when they tried to block transfers (because they’re control freaks), and they aren’t going to fight a p.r. battle that they’re going to keep losing. So far, the players actively seeking new schools have found homes. But in the next few months, a harsh mathematic reality is going to set in that could leave players stuck in the portal with no new school and no old school.<<

>>Across the country this month, players are going to start spring practice and frown when they realize where they sit on the depth chart. They are going to be intrigued by the possibility of transferring, and the freedom afforded by the new transfer rules makes it easy to toss their name into the portal. But they need to evaluate their situation very carefully before they do that, because there probably aren’t going to be enough available scholarships for all the players who want to transfer.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good read:

SI: The double-edged sword of the transfer portal

>>A player recently went to an employee of the Power 5 football program he plays for and asked to go into the NCAA’s new transfer portal. The player’s request was granted, because the school can’t say no when a player wants to enter his name into the database that announces to other schools that the player wishes to be recruited as a transfer.

But before the player entered his name, the people in the program warned he might not find what he seeks. There has been a flurry of transfer activity since the schools changed the NCAA rules that allow schools to block players from transferring to certain other schools on an athletic scholarship. School officials are so worried about undergraduate transfers gaining immediate eligibility—they’re supposed to sit out a year under current rules—through NCAA waivers that the NCAA’s transfer working group is now examining changing the waiver guidelines it issued only last year. A tighter waiver process for undergrads might slow the flow into the portal, but no matter what happens with the waivers, the portal isn’t going anywhere. Athletic directors and school presidents got tired of ADs and coaches being portrayed as control freaks when they tried to block transfers (because they’re control freaks), and they aren’t going to fight a p.r. battle that they’re going to keep losing. So far, the players actively seeking new schools have found homes. But in the next few months, a harsh mathematic reality is going to set in that could leave players stuck in the portal with no new school and no old school.<<

Good story, except that I always understood the “intitials” cap at 25 to only pertained to kids from HS and walks on that have been in the program less than two years. I thought JUCOs, grad tranfers and upper classman tranfers were exempt form the “initials” cap. I’m not certain the author has that right.

Edsall better load up on transfers after spring ball - let’s get it done.

Reaction Score
Edsall better load up on transfers after spring ball - let’s get it done.
I concur.. Short term, it'll get us on track a lot faster... Allow some of the pups that probably shouldn't have played during the last year or 2 to retain their redshirt and develop more... Of course, it's not going to be a perfect option, but, right now, it will/should help us more than hurt us... I mean, how worse can get if we don't do this? probably another really bad year... We get some more mature/experienced bodies in here, that alone, shows us having a pulse to want to aspire to playing competitive FBS level football...

Teams we as fans looked down/frowned upon have surpassed us (with ease... UMass, Temple, etc....) We are the joke now.. Time to change the narrative... Get back on track by all the available means necessary...

Reaction Score
I am praying Mr. Edsall finds a slot for a Mark Whitten type. Given the relative inexperience of the staff - yet enthusiasm - WE could use a wise unemployed head to sit and watch the game they love.

Reaction Score
I assume that if an athlete enters his name into the Portal, there is no guarantee that his scholarship will be held

This from Penn State's blog...

"Once a player's name is in it, other schools can contact the player, and according to The Athletic, it also allows the original school to cancel the player's scholarship. It does not mean he must transfer, though, as a player can add his name to and then pull it out of the portal, but as noted, he's not guaranteed to have a scholarship still waiting for him at his first school, which is why most players who enter their name will end up transferring. "

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, rather than criticize the portal “change” Randy needs to focus on capitalizing on change and disruption. Thrive on the chaos, rather than lament it.
There are some younger guys on the staff who embrace new ways - so we have it at the lower peon level - it still needs to trickle up.

He knows what he needs to do and will do. As I have said before he is looking in the portal and hopes to land three more players at certain positions, including Tight End

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He knows what he needs to do and will do. As I have said before he is looking in the portal and hopes to land three more players at certain positions, including Tight End

Yes, Mike Z and others seem to be focusing on TE, DL and to some degree LB and OL.

Reaction Score
I am praying Mr. Edsall finds a slot for a Mark Whitten type. Given the relative inexperience of the staff - yet enthusiasm - WE could use a wise unemployed head to sit and watch the game they love.

If you mean Whipple, I agree. Met him when he was at UMass in their glory years and found him to be a very nice, approachable, guy who was easy to speak with and seemed honest in what he was telling me about his program, etc. He's supposed to be a very smart offensive guy and could be our "offensive quality control" guy if we want and can afford one. Not sure why he left UMass.

Reaction Score
If you mean Whipple, I agree. Met him when he was at UMass in their glory years and found him to be a very nice, approachable, guy who was easy to speak with and seemed honest in what he was telling me about his program, etc. He's supposed to be a very smart offensive guy and could be our "offensive quality control" guy if we want and can afford one. Not sure why he left UMass.

Except for the fact that he took the OC role at Pitt, sure

Reaction Score
Mark Whipple - duly chastened for not remembering. And after reading the press on moving to Pitt, godspeed on that one.

Still: this region has Quarterback whisperer types in their 50s. I trust Edsall from his past hires (Wilson, Ambrose, Moorhead) that Moyseenko (must be off on that name too) can do the QB hire. Though … given the circumstances of Dunn leaving suddenly with Spring practice right the next week, I would not be surprised to see a further shakeup by HCRE on the Staff after the last day of Spring.

I am feeling better about Spanos. And I truly think Washington and Krajewski are a better pair than some of the two top kids we have had in the last 10 years. Someone has to rise.

Reaction Score
If you mean Whipple ... Not sure why he left UMass.
Other than umess' AD held Whipple's exit door wide open and provided strong encouragement to exit versus getting fired? @Scrutiner A similar exit to Rhett Lashlee's non-fired, just diplomatically shiite canned exit at Auburn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe we have some traction with this 6’2’’ WR Dejon Brissett who is a grad tranfer candidate playing at Richmond. A fair amount of twitter connection activity with the staff including a connection with Krajewski.

He had over 1200 yards as a junior, but missed most of his senior year with a leg injury.

Dejon™ (@ooh_Canada) on Twitter

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe we have some traction with this 6’2’’ WR Dejon Brissett who is a grad tranfer candidate playing at Richmond. A fair amount of twitter connection activity with the staff including a connection with Krajewski.

He had over 1200 yards as a junior, but missed most of his senior year with a leg injury.

Dejon™ (@ooh_Canada) on Twitter

Older brother of Syracuse starting PF Oshae Brissett...

Reaction Score
Jaggers looks intriguing, but what is UCONN's policy regarding concussions. It seems Jimmy had three within the course of a year (one due to an auto accident). I know that some schools have a "three strikes and you're out" policy (Syracuse for one). Is that a concern here?

Reaction Score
Jaggers hasn't played in a few years it appears.. He's gone through protocol after protocol after protocol...I get it though.. Safety first....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Malik Barrow, Ohio State DE from Miami/IMG Academy now has DDC, Eddie Allen, D. Harris and B. Chapman from the UConn staff following him. Obviously a long shot, but notable that traction is increasing.

At one point Barrow "retired" because of injuries including a torn ACL.

Malik Barrow transferring from Ohio State

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom