NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Perhaps we should pin this thread.

I suspect there will be a lot of NCAA Transfer Portal discussion over the next three weeks leading up to the second signing day on Wednesday 2/6.

Best info out there I have seen is here:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/di-saac-notification-transfer.pdf

With supplement info here about when scholarships terminate here:
Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

NLI windows noted here:
NLI Signing Dates

My take aways:
  • A school has to enter you into the Transfer Portal within 2 business days of a student athlete's notice to transfer.
  • Once in the portal, your current school no longer has an obligation to keep you on the team. They may, but they are not obligated to do so.
  • The academic period in which you enter the portal is the last period your school is obligated to provide financial aid. Therefore, if you enter the portal in the Fall, financial aid may terminate at the end of the fall semester. A school cannot pull financial aid mid semester. If you notice the school during winter or summer break, the school may pull financial aid immediately.
  • I think the point about the timing of when financial aid ends is key. Its a good bet we will see far more kids end the portal immediately upon returning from winter break so that they have all spring to find a new home without missing any school.
  • UConn students return on Tuesday 1/22.
  • Its not a given all kids that enter the portal will be immediately dismissed. I expect there will be some kids given leeway to explore while others will not. We shall see.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The portal is supposed to be private, with no public/media access.

Therefore someone was by taking this picture today.

Reaction Score
Can't help but wanting to do some "beam them in" jokes every time I see the "portal" referenced.

Reaction Score
Good article:

>>The biggest challenge with The Portal is sifting through it.

“Lots of these guys are walk-ons who never played,” says our guide. “You have FCS guys mixed in. You don’t know if he’s an All-American or he’s graduated and just put his name on here. There’s no filter. You don’t know even know if they’re academically eligible. It’s interesting.”

No doubt there are some good players lumped in here. The big questions for coaches: Who are the actual good players and what are their reasons for leaving? Were they blocked on the depth chart? Were they bad news? Are they even eligible?<<

>>“So right now, there’s 571 players on here from D2,” he says. “We’ve got guys from Lake Erie College, Lock Haven of Pennsylvania, Seton Hall; I mean, Seton Hill. But then on the D1 side, and they list D1 as all of the FCS leagues, there’s over 1,000 kids on here, and this thing just updated.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good article:

>>The biggest challenge with The Portal is sifting through it.

“Lots of these guys are walk-ons who never played,” says our guide. “You have FCS guys mixed in. You don’t know if he’s an All-American or he’s graduated and just put his name on here. There’s no filter. You don’t know even know if they’re academically eligible. It’s interesting.”

No doubt there are some good players lumped in here. The big questions for coaches: Who are the actual good players and what are their reasons for leaving? Were they blocked on the depth chart? Were they bad news? Are they even eligible?<<

>>“So right now, there’s 571 players on here from D2,” he says. “We’ve got guys from Lake Erie College, Lock Haven of Pennsylvania, Seton Hall; I mean, Seton Hill. But then on the D1 side, and they list D1 as all of the FCS leagues, there’s over 1,000 kids on here, and this thing just updated.<<

Oh boo who, they have to sift! They have to sift everyday for HS kids, so this is hardly something new.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Oh boo who, they have to sift! They have to sift everyday for HS kids, so this is hardly something new.
Agree. I'm sure they will assign a coach or grad assistant to compile a list and sort it on their on spreadsheet. They can do some research to find out reason for leaving, academic elegibility, etc.....

Reaction Score
Your coaches should definitely be looking at both PSU LB Jarvis Miller and TE Danny Dalton who are in the portal. Two good players that got lost in the shuffle of multiple higher ranked players emerging at their positions. I know for a fact that UMASS under Walt Bell and Aazaar Abdul Rahim are courting some of our potential DMV Transfers, but being from CT and MA these two are likely in their wheelhouse as well. I've watched a lot of UConn Football over the last few years. If healthy both of these kids could start in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that Buechele will go to SMU (as a Grad Transfer). The conference continues to shine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miller to Umass and Dalton to BC. I was hoping they might be able to help you guys out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guess 247 is going to try to monitor the portal with whatever info they get.

Reaction Score
Check out @247Sports’s Tweet:

Honestly, I'd be shocked if we are shut out (again) without getting a kid or two left from this "portal"... We've seemed to have made significant changes that may want a few of these kids to give us a 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th look...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd be shocked if we are shut out (again) without getting a kid or two left from this "portal"... We've seemed to have made significant changes that may want a few of these kids to give us a 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th look...
Yeah, but for impatient types like me it will be painful to watch this play out over the course of spring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It'd be nice to see what year the player was or how many years of eligibility they have left. Or they could at least break it down into grad transfers and undergrads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom