NCAA tourny thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NCAA tourny thread

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Saint Louis is probably the worst shooting team in the tournament and VTech plays a zone, so... There's always the backdoor cover.

I don't recommend momentum. It has not been shown to be highly correlated to success.
I disagree on momentum. If you look historically the teams playing the best heading into the tournament typically do the best.

Reaction Score
I disagree on momentum. If you look historically the teams playing the best heading into the tournament typically do the best.

I've read a lot of different studies with regressions indicating last 10 games was not a predictive stat for tournament success.
For example:
"In all three of the first equations Wins in first 10 games was significant, while Wins in the last 10 games was not significant which is interesting considering the last 10 games of the season provide the best example of a team’s current level of performance. "
https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/handle/1811/48883/EmilyToutkoushian.pdf?sequence=1

The committee used to list it on the selection team sheets, but they removed it, presumably for that reason. If you have something that shows momentum (perhaps an efficiency margin over x games instead of just win/loss), I'd be curious to read it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Congrats to Iowa State and Ohio State on playing the most boring, uninteresting close game of the day.

Whole first round was like that. The close games were poorly played.

Reaction Score
How come everyone has a big thick center or PF except us???

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
0 5/12 upsets last year, 3 this year. 4th game 1 point win.

True, but it was dramatic as hell last year. I don't remember which part of the tournament exactly, just that it was awesome.

Buzzer beating down to the wire nail-biters >>> upsets. Especially the ol' 5/12er.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
UCF is not the matchup Duke wanted in the 2nd round. They present a litany of problems size and experience wise.

Reaction Score
Yeah Duke only opened as 14.5 favorites. Sleepless nights for everyone.
Obviously Duke is far more talented but if (big if) Tacko stays out of foul trouble, I think forcing duke to shoot the ball is the only way to give them a run. They’re really not lights out shooters. I just don’t see enough fire power for UCF to keep up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Obviously Duke is far more talented but if (big if) Tacko stays out of foul trouble, I think forcing duke to shoot the ball is the only way to give them a run. They’re really not lights out shooters. I just don’t see enough fire power for UCF to keep up.

Zion is going to knock Taco into the third row. Hopefully in one piece.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes, it’s no secret Duke shoots a low percentage from 3 pt range.

But if one wants to claim Duke is vulnerable against UCF... they can get UCF and TWO TOUCHDOWNS to get paid.

Reaction Score
Yes, it’s no secret Duke shoots a low percentage from 3 pt range.

But if one wants to claim Duke is vulnerable against UCF... they can get UCF and TWO TOUCHDOWNS to get paid.
I’d be much more tempted to take those points with UCF than I would’ve been with VCU, which I think was his point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’d be much more tempted to take those points with UCF than I would’ve been with VCU, which I think was his point.

Oh his point was Duke had an opinion between playing UCF and VCU?

I think UCF is like a point or two better than VCU but from Duke’s POV there is really no difference.

For example Clemson is better than both of them.

Reaction Score
Wofford/UK should be a great game, Fletcher goes off for like 50

Reaction Score
Wofford/UK should be a great game, Fletcher goes off for like 50

I have a feeling UK blows them out. The talent is just so much better on UK. However, you wouldn’t hear a complaint from me if I’m wrong.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Have to think McGee is going to play better in the 2nd half. Wofford has a real shot here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom